low UMAT, relatively high ATAR. (1 Viewer)

smellfry

HSC
Hi guys,

I've been thinking of doing medicine for the past year or so, but now need some guidance on the 'easiest' way to get in.

I received a umat score of: 59,52,54 in sections 1, 2, 3 respectively, giving me a total of 165 and a 73 percentile. I've entered my marks into several ATAR calculators and i'm getting around 99.6+. What would you guys suggest is the best route for me.

I'm in NSW, but i'm willing to go overstate.

Thanks

bangladesh

HSC
Apply for JMP (you probably won't get an interview) and JCU and Griffith (which are non-umat)

Fade1233

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

I've been thinking of doing medicine for the past year or so, but now need some guidance on the 'easiest' way to get in.

I received a umat score of: 59,52,54 in sections 1, 2, 3 respectively, giving me a total of 165 and a 73 percentile. I've entered my marks into several ATAR calculators and i'm getting around 99.6+. What would you guys suggest is the best route for me.

Thanks
Depends on your reason to get in medicine.

smellfry

HSC
I don't think I would consider going to Bond Uni. What is the cutoff for Newcastle?

Medman

HSC
Medicine isn't easy. If you want the easiest way in go through Griffith (no umat or interview required).

smellfry

HSC
No interview or UMAT. I think atar is around 99.6, but not 100% sure. It's a 2 year accelerated program (trimester instead of semester) and you need to maintain a 5.0GPA whilst passing the "Human Skills for Medicine" Course, which replaces UMAT
Thanks Uncle Steve. Good luck for the HSC mate. You'll need it ;)

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Apply to Newcastle, JCU and Griffith and USYD.

Doing shit in the UMAT will drastically cut down your chances, so you've already decreased your chances of an "easy way."

A medical degree is a medical degree, regardless of where you go.

Apply everywhere, go to every single interview offer and accept whichever offer you get, regardless if it means you have to travel. Forget about this prestige/distance bullshit. Moving out is good fun anyway!

THAT is the easiest way.

smellfry

HSC
Apply to Newcastle, JCU and Griffith and USYD.

Doing shit in the UMAT will drastically cut down your chances, so you've already decreased your chances of an "easy way."

A medical degree is a medical degree, regardless of where you go.

Apply everywhere, go to every single interview offer and accept whichever offer you get, regardless if it means you have to travel. Forget about this prestige/distance bullshit. Moving out is good fun anyway!

THAT is the easiest way.
Ok thanks I will apply for everything :)

smellfry

HSC
mate looking at my ranks, and looking at yours, I think we both know who needs more luck :p
mate, don't worry about your ranks. I'm sure you'll do excellent in externals and turn things around. Wish you all the best for your future. :)

Brendon-

HSC
Hi guys,

Thanks
Those marks should allow you to receive an interview offer from Newcastle if you are interested. I believe they are looking for 50+ in all sections, and you do have a high ATAR.

chelseahunter

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Thanks
I'm in a similar position to you! Let me know if you've found the 'best route' :) From what I understand, JMP, UNSW, UADEL (2nd round interview), Monash, JCU, Griffith and Flinders are probe the only places we might have a chance at getting an interview.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)