L's checklist--overtaking?! (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hehe, I've covered nearly everything in the booklet and will be rearing to go for my P's after this semester ends (hopefully before the new test comes in) but only just realised that there is an OVERTAKING section. Now, how am I supposed to overtake anyone when everyone overtakes me? I'm a fast driver (think 75 in an 80 zone) but the faster I go, the faster everyone else seems to go. Has anyone realistically managed to overtake anyone while on their L's?

lala2

Banned
HSC
No, I am not kidding. My parents are like....what the hell? You're going at 75? I'm like...Mum, Dad...it's an 80 zone. 75 is legal and quite appropriate (5km/h under the limit). Maybe it's cos I'm Asian and in Malaysia there's no way in hell the speed limits are that fast. But seriously though, how do you overtake when everyone else is faster than you?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
If everyone is faster than you, you haven't driven enough.
You've never encountered the slow moving truck/bus/old person?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ummm...I've driven on Silverwater Road, Lane Cove/Ryde Road from IKEA up to Pymble/Gordon, Mona Vale Road, Pacific Highway, Pennant Hills Road, Lane Cove Tunnel--pretty major roads. And no, it doesn't seem to be enough :confused:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I managed to overtake plenty of people when I was on my L's. But then again I completely ignored the speed limit.

If you are asking whether you can overtake someone while doing the speed limit (or less) the answer is no.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
So you've never been stuck behind a truck going up a hill at 60 in an 80 zone?
Or the old person who think's they've just come out of their driveway?

tempco

HSC
lala2 said:
No, I am not kidding. My parents are like....what the hell? You're going at 75? I'm like...Mum, Dad...it's an 80 zone. 75 is legal and quite appropriate (5km/h under the limit). Maybe it's cos I'm Asian and in Malaysia there's no way in hell the speed limits are that fast. But seriously though, how do you overtake when everyone else is faster than you?
It's pretty much reflex to overtake an L plater even if they are at the speed limit. That, and on major roads drivers tend to stick to the speed limit, or drive slightly above it (80-85+ at 80 zones if there are no speed cameras/visible cops, especially on the right lane).

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmmm...yes I have (truck scenario). But I want to learn to overtake smaller objects first (cars) before tackling trucks, particularly on Pennant Hills Road when there's a lot of bends and curves from Thornleigh north, and there are not a lot of slow cars (haven't encountered grandmas yet)

iamsickofyear12--yes, that was what I was trying to get at--whether it's possible to overtake while at the speed limit or less

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I managed to overtake plenty of people when I was on my L's. But then again I completely ignored the speed limit.

If you are asking whether you can overtake someone while doing the speed limit (or less) the answer is no.
Some people go at 40km under the limit, trust me I've seen it happen. They always take the right lane too :-/. <-- That is when you overtake.

Loza33

HSC
mr_brightside said:
So you've never been stuck behind a truck going up a hill at 60 in an 80 zone?
Or the old person who think's they've just come out of their driveway?
Yeah, hey! If you havent had the opportunity to overtake anyone, then maybe you have done too much driving in the city, on highways and stuff.... you need to drive out off the highways for a little bit, and you will often find some car that believes doing 50 k's in an 80 k zone is ok..... cars or trucks!

If you are doing your test in hte city, it is highly unlikely that you will be asked to overtake, or get the opportunity to over take anyone..

But you still need to feel comfortable doing it!

Optophobia

HSC
You will only overtake if the vehicle is stopped or going really slow (really old fashioned cars), so don't worry about it.

If you are going the speed limit, then they have no excuse to overtake you and they are breaking the law.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
75 in an 80 is not fast. If the road is straight , or like those parts of the express way where the speed limit drops to like 90, i just keep going at 110. About 80-90 is the normal speed for everyone in an 80 zone, you wont be overtaking too many people at 75.

To optophobia: 75 in an 80 is not the speed limit, noone wants to be stuck behind someone going that slow...also its inevitable that people will speed to overtake, its safer because you spend less time doing the manevour and get out of the way.

I overtook people all the time on my L's, i didnt much pay attention to speed limits and just went at traffic speed, so theres always someone in the left lane whose going slow and people overtake.

At 75km you could overtake a pushbike if its on the left lane! theres your solution, find a biker and overtake him.

lengy

HSC
Overtake on corners. People tend to slow down on corners but I overtake them driving the speed limit. Feel the G's.

Optophobia

HSC
lengy said:
Overtake on corners. People tend to slow down on corners but I overtake them driving the speed limit. Feel the G's.
uh.... That is the most dangerous thing someone could ever do?

Overtaking involves going in the lane which traffic coming the opposite way is travelling. What you suggested is suicide.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Optophobia said:

Overtaking involves going in the lane which traffic coming the opposite way is travelling. What you suggested is suicide.
Not if there are two lanes going each direction... then you are just in the right lane.

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
Optophobia said:

ever heard of a two lane road???????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)