///M5 Fanatic?! (2 Viewers)

VanCarBus

~--> Quincy <--~
HSC
lol funny,

M5, i was thinking of road M5...who loves that road its pathetically slow

M5 is shit looking, M6 is awesome...sleek bastard!!

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
rden said:
as much as i like the M5, i can't help but think that it isn't powerful enough. 370~kw isn't really enough for a large sport sedan these days especially when you consider that HSV will inevitably release a car with power at least equalling it when the new commodore is released. I think it may be slightly lacking in torque, considering that it's a n/a 5.0L that has 1800+ kg to push.
being serious, you should slapped harder

but really, i like your theory ;) :p

rden

HSC
While the design may have been around for 50 years, they are still modern engines. GM is capable of producing multi-cam V8s, it has produced them in the past for racing purposes. While the pushrod design is inherently less efficient than an ohc/4 valve design, they have advantages in other areas. A pushrod V8 is much smaller allowing it to fit into compact engine bays, it is lower than an ohc design lowering the centre of gravity and when made from an alloy like the chevrolet design is relatively light weight. They are also cheaper to produce.

As for the M5, i grant that it has enough power to do what it is designed to do. But from an ownership standpoint i would be a little upset that a LS1 engined commodore with very basic modifications would trump my $200K BMW in a straight line.

Don't forget when comparing commodore times to German times that the holden's crap rear suspension hampers it's launch significantly. Comparing roll-on times would give a better comparison of the engine strength of each car. Also remember that the Germans tend to give conservative power estimates with their cars. Eg, the SL500 has probably 50-70kw more than its quoted 220kw.

CieL

HSC
hm.. i was following an M5 on Balaclava Rd the other day.. i feel sorry for that car when it has an incompetent driver

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
I know what you mean.... I used to go to a school near a Prestige Cars Dealer (Maseratis, Ferraris, Porsches, etc.). Every month or so there was some tool test driving a Ferrari that always seemed to stuff up changing gears. Not only did he not use the clutch properly, but seemed to routinely skip two gears on downchanging.

Poor car.

dan_ster

HSC
Can i be the only M5 fan on BoS??!! No reply so far has been from a passionate M5 fanatic:worried:...oh dear.

:worried:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
dan_ster said:
Can i be the only M5 fan on BoS??!! No reply so far has been from a passionate M5 fanatic:worried:...oh dear.

:worried:
I've already affirmed my love for the car...what more do u want :p

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Heh. The car's great - but you're not about to get outpourings of admiration for the vehicle. In my opinion, a real M5 should have an inline 6 coupled to a smooth shifting Getrag 6 (3 pedals, not 2 paddleshifters). The culmination of this formula occured in the E34. That was a real M5. This new one seems more of an effort to compete with the Gallardo, rather than uphold the traditional M5 heritage. It's a nice car, for sure - but I think if I had that much money (~$230k), I probably wouldn't spend it on an M5. :) Perhaps a Lamborghini Diablo VT.

dan_ster

HSC
DaddyK said:
I saw a diablo the other day, it drove past me going the other way, i gave the thumbs up expressing my enjoyment of viewing the car.
You are suppose to orgasm over the sight of an M5 on the road, not some outdated lambo...:mad1:

LOL

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah i dont mind the m5, its a decent car, iam not exactly passionate and fanatical about it but i rate it

that said given the money i would spend it on something else, but if i was in a high paying job like a lawyer or doctor [where u r basically expected to drive luxury vehicles] then i would probably get it

Mr Will

HSC
rden said:
as much as i like the M5, i can't help but think that it isn't powerful enough. 370~kw isn't really enough for a large sport sedan these days especially when you consider that HSV will inevitably release a car with power at least equalling it when the new commodore is released. I think it may be slightly lacking in torque, considering that it's a n/a 5.0L that has 1800+ kg to push.

as much as you have a right to post....its obvious that you dont know what youre talking about....try looking at the 0-100, 0-400m, and 80-120kmh times for the m5. the power output of the new HSV's wont be blowing this car away anytime soon, and besides, engineering a v10 to rev to 8250rpm, versus the genIV's redline of something pathetic like 5 or 6k, just shows how bmw engines shit on everything else.

Heusen

HSC
I don't mind the M5, I think it's a very remarkable piece of engineering but it's not what I would classify as a dream car, although I wouldn't be ashamed if I drove one.

However, isn't the M5 a little too compicated? Doesn't it take about 10 minutes to change to the 500 sport setting before you can experience the 500 bhp engine?

Mr Will

HSC
Heusen said:
I don't mind the M5, I think it's a very remarkable piece of engineering but it's not what I would classify as a dream car, although I wouldn't be ashamed if I drove one.

However, isn't the M5 a little too compicated? Doesn't it take about 10 minutes to change to the 500 sport setting before you can experience the 500 bhp engine?

only if youre retarded :) its a single button....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)