• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Macbeth: the play/do you like it/extended response questions (1 Viewer)

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Hello. Hey I was just wondering if anybody else is doing Macbeth (year 10) for English. Heaps of my friends from other schools are doing it as well. Apprantely, most schools are using Macbeth for their half yearly exam and that's what most extended responses will be based on.

Did anybody enjoy the play Macbeth?

I liked it. It was better than Romeo and Juliet. WE got to watch the POlansky version of the movie and it was really good. Not to mention, really rude. HEaps of naked scenes and horror elements

----------------

Most of our exams are based on Macbeth. From what I have gathered, most of our extended response questions can be questions like this:

- Write a proposal of a new film based on Macbeth. refer to how you will make setting and costumes for characters. What techniques will you use?
- Is Macbeth responsible for his own downfall?

That's all I have heard from friends from different schools. Are there any other extended response questions possible? I mean, if you have done an exam on Macbeth before, what was tested?

Thanks. I need to start studying for English soon. I need to get above my 52% mark. :D I believe that this will help some other people as well :apig:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
You fail english just as hard as i do. I got 13/15 in my macbeth speech last year. But my marks this year are terrible. 2 C's and a B. :D I hate english, and everything relating to NSW english.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
foram said:
You fail english just as hard as i do. I got 13/15 in my macbeth speech last year. But my marks this year are terrible. 2 C's and a B. :D I hate english, and everything relating to NSW english.
I hate english to hell. English is sooo hard and my worst subject ever! 13/15? thats pretty good and you go to Manly High School, so you should be way better than me. I go to Sefton High and I get 7/15 for English. I just hope Id do better in this Macbeth essay coming up which I have no idea what could be tested. Any ideas?

a 'B' grade is pretty good. :DC's are alright.:shy: C's are the marks I keep getting. :uhhuh: English is sortta a subject that doesn't really rely on trying hard. It's more of skills, so I guess thats why I'm so terrible at it. :angry:
Youre pretty good at it from what I see

Let's see, my marks for last year half yearly: 52%. extended response: 7/15 :mad:
yearly result: 60%. extended response: 11/15 :(
this year term one: 12/20 (C-) :mad1:

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
nerdsforever said:
I hate english to hell. English is sooo hard and my worst subject ever! 13/15? thats pretty good and you go to Manly High School, so you should be way better than me. I go to Sefton High and I get 7/15 for English. I just hope Id do better in this Macbeth essay coming up which I have no idea what could be tested. Any ideas?

a 'B' grade is pretty good. :DC's are alright.:shy: C's are the marks I keep getting. :uhhuh: English is sortta a subject that doesn't really rely on trying hard. It's more of skills, so I guess thats why I'm so terrible at it. :angry:
Youre pretty good at it from what I see

Let's see, my marks for last year half yearly: 52%. extended response: 7/15 :mad:
yearly result: 60%. extended response: 11/15 :(
this year term one: 12/20 (C-) :mad1:
Yea, well... yr 10 was the good year for my english marks. I got 9/15, 10/15, 13/15, 12/15, 13/15, then a SC mark of 94! (Wow 94!). :D The SC is nothing like english at school.

Yr 11 killed me at first. 7/15, 9/15, ... and then 12/15! (I couldn't believe it!). But now i think i've gotten the trick to getting good marks. It's SPARKNOTES. Sparknotes is my lifesaver, I basicly just plagarise from it + use the word anaphora somewhere. It's the only way to avoid C's for me. :D

And Manly High is a very bad school. I think sefton would be a lot better.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
foram said:
And Manly High is a very bad school. I think sefton would be a lot better.
I highly doubt it. Sefton is a low-performing Selective High School. The school rank proves it (no offence to Sefton, Sefton High School is academically better than my school).

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
I highly doubt it. Sefton is a low-performing Selective High School. The school rank proves it (no offence to Sefton, Sefton High School is academically better than my school).
Manly is a low-performing Selective High school too though. It won't be much better than the other schools. Only about 25% of the people got a UAI >95. Thats so pathetic. You would expect 50% to get over 95 in an okay selective school.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
nerdsforever said:
Hello. Hey I was just wondering if anybody else is doing Macbeth (year 10) for English. Heaps of my friends from other schools are doing it as well. Apprantely, most schools are using Macbeth for their half yearly exam and that's what most extended responses will be based on.

I liked it. It was better than Romeo and Juliet. WE got to watch the POlansky version of the movie and it was really good. Not to mention, really rude. HEaps of naked scenes and horror elements

----------------

Most of our exams are based on Macbeth. From what I have gathered, most of our extended response questions can be questions like this:

- Write a proposal of a new film based on Macbeth. refer to how you will make setting and costumes for characters. What techniques will you use?

That's all I have heard from friends from different schools. Are there any other extended response questions possible? I mean, if you have done an exam on Macbeth before, what was tested?

Thanks. I need to start studying for English soon. I need to get above my 52% mark. :D I believe that this will help some other people as well :apig:
Good luck nerdsforever :).

A tip: In Year 10, try and excel in English and do your best. In the HSC, your competing against a high candidature of students across the state. With this competition, high marks are needed in order to gain a high UAI ranking in the top percentile. If you don't enjoy English and despise it *cough* Foram, then attaining a high HSC mark and UAI ranking will be difficult. If you perform poorly in English, your UAI will get dragged down, as it is the only compulsory subject that counts towards your 10 units. Compete with your classmates and perform better than the average mark. If you attain an English mark within the state average, you get scaled down. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Gah you didn't need to know this, you've still more than a year till the HSC begins. But seeing as your keen whilst your posting on the forums early, I thought you'd like to know.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
foram said:
Manly is a low-performing Selective High school too though. It won't be much better than the other schools. Only about 25% of the people got a UAI >95. Thats so pathetic. You would expect 50% to get over 95 in an okay selective school.
lol Manly doesn't perform as low as Sefton. Manly came 20 ish and sefton came 50 ish. Not to mention, SEfton came behind 100 government schools in English. Sefton only does well in Maths.

TRue. You would expect people in selective school to do better. I mean, people in selective schools are selected from the top 5% of the state.....therefore, they should get 95 uai +, unless the selective test was actually a reall joke.

25% get above 95 is pretty good. Sefton only has 8 ish people above 95. Only four people got band 6s in Schoool Certificate. Appaling....:vcross:

HSC
nerdsforever said:

I studied Macbeth in year 10 too, it's my favourite Shakespeare. Is Polansky the Australian one? I've seen about three versions, a heaps old one, the modernised BBC version (shit) and the modernised Australian version where it's like a drug ring... the latter is really awesome. Infinitely better than R&J.

I wish I could help you with a possible essay question, but I don't remember what we did... as long as you understand the play and have quotes with themes/techniques, you can't really go wrong.

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
Arent I lucky. I studied Macbeth in year 9 and I am currently studying Othello for my half yearly.:uhoh:
Actually come to think of it I did it for my half yearlies LAST YEAR! meh. It was a speech/monologue where I had to choose a protagonist and describe how I(as in a character) moral decisions affected my charcters in context to the quote "fair is foul and foul is fair". I got like 90%. We had to write in Shakespearan language and I started my with iambic pentameter.
Sparknotes is absoluely AWESOME when it comes to shakespeare. You can even read the whole novel with actual english translation and really helped me understand what is going on.
I also had to write an opinion and a essay about how Shakespeare is timeless due to his concerns of universal and relevant issues.

I have like pages and pages of charcterisation and quotes and pages and pages of plot and other stuff.

Even though it depends on the school and the extended response. If you understand the characters, the plot and some quotes and what the portray you should be okay.

We only just started Othello. But there has been heaps of threads about in the 08/09boards because from what I can gather one of those years have/are studying it.

Goodluck

autumn-angel

HSC
We watched the version in which Macbeth is a chef but is known as Joe Macbeth. The three witches are some rubbish collectors... It was kind of weird but a different interpretation i guess...
I put in a lot of effort in my assignment and got 10/10 and we didn't get any exam. I suppose it's in the half yearlies where the questions will be asked. Just three more weeks left by the way...:read:

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
We did Macbeth in Yera 9, and our question was to compare the play to how the Sydney Theatre Company made their play. I did pretty well in that - got full marks. :)

justxlouise

HSC
LOL . OMG . WHO ARE YOU ?!
I go to Sefton, in the same grade as you TT"

Anyways . Extended response is an essay :)
That is all I know ..

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
autumn-angel said:
We watched the version in which Macbeth is a chef but is known as Joe Macbeth. The three witches are some rubbish collectors... It was kind of weird but a different interpretation i guess...
lol We watched exerpts of that since it was rated in a way we couldnt watch the whole thing being a public school and in year 9. I found that version weird.

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
We're doing Macbeth at our school as well. I think the way that we are doing it makes it really boring. And our class isn't too smart either. We watched the BBC version which was really bad, the Polanski version (we had to get notes in even though we are all 15+) and now we are watching the modern one where he is a chef. I guess listening and reading Macbeth for periods on end gets really boring. We haven't had an assessment on it yet but we will next week.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
sikhman said:
wtf?

anyway....there's a new macbeth called m about macbeth being a drug dealer....sound spretty good but i never saw it....
Some reviews of that movie was tested in our exam. I got pretty shit, like 14/30 :mad:

Thanks for everyones replies coz it helped me a lot in my test. I got 12/20 after wards. THat was an okay mark, but I could have done better.

and when you add them together, I get 26/50. that means I cant do advanced English :(

Skeeter

Banned
HSC
nerdsforever said:

----------------

/

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Skeeter said:
hi mate. i go to sefton as well, but im in year 12 so you probably dont know me. What teacher do you have? If you have Ms Kristoviskis I'm gonna LOL
i got cree. he's nice and cool but he cant really teach. I feel sorry for you. Not many people like kristo

Aznmichael92

HSC
well only my class did shakespear so far this year which was Macbeth.

Our extended resposne question was,

Explain how the central concept you have been studying is portrayed in texts.

To clarify texts, it means at least two texts must be referred to

I chose Macbeth and Animal Farm as my two texts giving me a score of 23/25. I earned it partly thanks to my English teacher giving feedbacks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)