Macquarie BIT or UTS Math/Computing? (1 Viewer)

mickk794

HSC
I received a main round offer to UTS B Maths and Computing, which I'm currently enrolled in. But, I also received a final round offer to Macquarie BIT.

My passion is in IT and i had planned to transfer to the UTS B Sci in IT course or similar next year. So the question is what i should do this year.
Should I start in the Maths/Comp course then transfer in 2nd year, or take up BIT at Mq uni?

Does anybody have any experiences with either of these courses or faculties?

--
If i stick with the maths/comp, would the maths at UTS be a challenge? Or could i just take up only the computing subjects for year 1 as per the course program and not do any maths subjects since im not really interested in doing a maths degree.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Internal transfers are much simpler so if BSc IT at UTS is the course you want then i'd take the maths/computing offer if i were you. You'll be able to enrol in just first year IT subjects (should be atleast, try it out now) as UTS provide a reccomended course structure but they dont really care about the order you do it in as long as you follow pre requisites and stuff.

mickk794

HSC
Yes that's what i was thinking, but the UTS Maths/Computing course is in the science faculty, and the B Sc in IT is in the Engineering/IT faculty, so i would have to externally transfer anyway.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Yes that's what i was thinking, but the UTS Maths/Computing course is in the science faculty, and the B Sc in IT is in the Engineering/IT faculty, so i would have to externally transfer anyway.
True, you'd have to ask at the student centre though. I dont think they consider Maths/Computing a combined course with B Sc in IT a combined course but it's worth asking. Either way transferring to other unis brings up problems with getting subjects credited which wont happen if you transfer within the uni.

mickk794

HSC
Yeah if i choose to study at macquarie, I won't be transferring back to uts.

Since you actually study at uts, do you recommend it?
Also, how does the transfer work, like would i be put into the 2nd year of studies?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well when you transfer you'll get credited for subjects you've completed, so if you did all BSc IT subjects and then transferred after a year (you MAY be able to do it after sem 1) you would be in 2nd year of studies according to the BSc IT course plan assuming there are no fails. Just put in a bit of effort and getting the transfer will be easy.

I do go to UTS, so my oppinion is going to be biased and i dont even do BSc IT. One positive of the BSc IT at UTS is it's similarity to the coop BIT program which supposedly has a great reputation it the industry. An ironic difference for your circumstance is that the BSc IT at UTS has no compulsory maths but at Macquarie they make you do discrete maths. That's about all i can contribute myself, try searching around the internet for any comparison threads anywhere else or on here and look into which uni or course program you prefer.

If for whatever reason you end up doing the math subjects in the Math/Computing course the first subjects you will be doing seem to be based around linear algebra. Going to be honest here, you'd need to be putting in quite a lot of effort and be getting fairly average marks judging by your 2u mark. Definitely not impossible though.

mickk794

HSC
Ok so intro to linear dynamical systems/intro to quantitative management subjects are quite challenging..

In the UTS handbook for the B Sci in IT course under credit recognition, it states: "There are no exemptions granted for the networking subjects 31270, 31277 and 31283 without the successful completion of the challenge test for each of the these subjects." What does this mean?

Also who can i discuss this matter with just to confirm it would work out? Better to email using AskUTS or call?
Thanks for all your help.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ring them up, pain dealing with emails lol. Those subjects are all networking ones, i did one which was pretty much the same as 31270 last sem but it had a different name as it was for engineers. Idk about the others but i know the content of 31270 forms part of a Cisco CCNA so i assume the others do to. What they mean is if you have already done a CCNA or some kind of tafe course/degree where you did comparable subjects they wont exempt you unless you can pass the tests for them. So i doubt that applies for you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)