Macquarie LLB honours- how does it work exactly? (1 Viewer)

*jellz*

HSC
Like everything else in the Macquarie law department, there seems to be little official information on this issue available.

What I've gathered from talking to other students is:

- WAM of 72 = 2nd class honours
- WAM of 76 + Advanced Research Project = 1st class honours

Is this information correct? Does anyone know what mark you need to get for your thesis? Also, what are the WAMs for upper first/lower first etc?

Thanks guys...just trying to motivate myself. Need to pull my WAM up from 74.49!

Monstar

HSC
Curious...

how do you calculate wam? and do you use it when applying to jobs?

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
*jellz*, when I completed my LLB those were the rules, but from memory they were under possible amendments. The best (and only) person to speak to on the issue is the LLB student advisor.

Monstar, if you google "WAM calculator" it will come up with a USYD site (or maybe UNSW) and you can type in your grades and work it out. Whether you use a WAM or GPA depends on where you're applying. Some larger law firms prefer X to Y; some private practises will be the opposite. And Govermnent Depts generally don't care.

Tabris

HSC
The information posted by Jellz was also in the 2008 yearbook. I could not find anything relating to the LLB Hons policy in the 2009 yearbook. (I might have overlooked something)

I would add one other thing for first class hons., you need at least a Credit in your research unit in addition to a WAM of 76+

Off-topic - Welcome back MJ! Hows work at AG going?

*jellz*

HSC
thanks everyone. it sucks that there is little/no information on this available. very fed up with the shaky mq law department!

Monstar

HSC
*jellz*, when I completed my LLB those were the rules, but from memory they were under possible amendments. The best (and only) person to speak to on the issue is the LLB student advisor.

Monstar, if you google "WAM calculator" it will come up with a USYD site (or maybe UNSW) and you can type in your grades and work it out. Whether you use a WAM or GPA depends on where you're applying. Some larger law firms prefer X to Y; some private practises will be the opposite. And Govermnent Depts generally don't care.
so say, if i was applying to some place to which it doesnt specify, would it be wrong for me to put down the one that makes me look best?

Tabris

HSC
I think the honours policy is still the same.

Just got confirmation for the completion of my B Com LLB program - got honours second class. (WAM 75.89 for Law)

*jellz*

HSC
I think the honours policy is still the same.

Just got confirmation for the completion of my B Com LLB program - got honours second class. (WAM 75.89 for Law)
congratulations, thats awesome. whats the plan now, travel? time off? got a grad job lined up?

Tabris

HSC
Already started my grad job......

Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Like everything else in the Macquarie law department, there seems to be little official information on this issue available.

What I've gathered from talking to other students is:

- WAM of 72 = 2nd class honours
- WAM of 76 + Advanced Research Project = 1st class honours

Is this information correct? Does anyone know what mark you need to get for your thesis? Also, what are the WAMs for upper first/lower first etc?

Thanks guys...just trying to motivate myself. Need to pull my WAM up from 74.49!
I emailed Anne and she confirmed the above today, you need a credit in the research project for 1st class

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Tabris said:
Off-topic - Welcome back MJ! Hows work at AG going?
:wave:
Work is going well, so glad it's Christmas though! I'm starting at Melb Uni next year (externally) doing a Master of International Relations which I'm very excited about :) Hoping it will eventually get me a job with Human Rights Watch.

Congrats on Honours - it's always nice when all those years of hard work pay off! How's the grad job going? When do you start College?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)