Macquarie or UNSW for Psychology? (emphasis on forensic) (1 Viewer)

despair

HSC
Hi guys! I’d really appreciate any advice from those who have or are currently completing a Psychology degree, Honours or even the Master of Forensic Psychology. I’m posting this on a few different forums to get some well-rounded advice. This’ll be a bit of a read so thank you to anyone who powers through. :)

So I’m somewhat deciding between a Bachelor of Psychology at Macquarie and a Bachelor of Psychological Science at UNSW. I say somewhat because I have technically started the Macquarie degree with the intent of trying it (and uni) out to see how I feel before the census date. I originally gave UNSW the flick mainly due to travelling and the increased competitiveness both in general and for entrance into the Honours year. One key factor was that I thought Macquarie didn’t have a quota for Honours year – so if you met the 75 WAM requirement, you were in. Turns out they just recently changed this for anyone starting their degree from last year onwards, which sucks. Now I’m wondering if I should withdraw and go to UNSW since they have more focus on forensic psychology.

Essentially the idea is to complete an Honours year and potentially go on to do further study, though I’m not really sure about anything at this point. If I was to do further study, it would be the Master of Forensic Psychology at UNSW since that’s the field I’m interested in. This is one of, if not the main reason I’m considering UNSW, but I’m unsure it’s actually worth all the trouble since I don’t even know if I’ll pursue further study.

Comparison

Depending on the traffic, travelling by car to UNSW would take at least 50 minutes to over an hour (not including issues with parking), and even longer using public transport. This might not seem so bad for some people, but it’s a huge con for me. Ideally, I’d do anything I could online, but I I’ve heard UNSW wants to shift back to more F2F learning from Term 2 this year. I don’t mind if I need to come on-campus for exams or even once a week, but it sounds like I'd actually need to go on campus a lot more at UNSW. On the flip side, Macquarie cuts down at least half the travel time. I can complete a vast majority of the units online and at the moment I only need to go on campus once a week.

In terms of the forensic psychology aspect, there are two units at UNSW that focus on this (PSYC1027 and PSYC3301), and I could also potentially pick my Honours thesis in the area. Macquarie has zero units on forensic psychology and there aren’t any Honours topics on it either. Also, the Psychological Science degree allows me to pick a major in criminology, whereas I could only (maybe) complete a minor at Macquarie. Having more foundational knowledge in forensic psychology and criminology, the trimester system, Moodle and even getting to know some of the teachers involved in the Master’s course could be advantageous. Is it worth going to UNSW just for these reasons? Would they favour this in the Master's application?

I've also heard many students complain about the teachers, lecturers, classes etc. at UNSW. I know this would differ depending on the department and course, but the "prestige" of UNSW is something that actually drives me away. They know they'll attract bright students no matter what, but the quality of teaching is either the same or even worse in comparison to less "prestigious" universities. Do they make assignments/exams more difficult at UNSW in comparison to Macquarie? Do they mark harsher?

Another issue with UNSW is that there aren’t any compulsory placements. There is a psychology research placement and up to two criminology placements (I think), but it’s dependent on a high WAM. Macquarie has the PACE unit, and work placements are something I really value since work experience is what’s going to matter in the end.

In terms of entrance into Honours, both have a 75 WAM as a minimum requirement, but this doesn’t guarantee a place in either course anymore. For UNSW, I imagine it’s much more competitive there – what’s the sort of realistic WAM you need to achieve to guarantee a place? How hard is it to achieve a first class or upper second class at UNSW since marks are weighted against cohort? Likewise for Macquarie? Does anyone have any opinions on the Honours course or structure for both universities? Did or didn’t enjoy the content, supervisors, etc.?

A problem with Macquarie is that to transfer to the Honours stream for 3rd year, I need to have an overall WAM of 70 across ALL my units, not just psych. Part of me wants to withdraw and re-apply for the Honours stream so I don't have this extra pressure if I choose to go to Macquarie. For UNSW, only the common core psych units will be important (I think).

I know I could transfer to UNSW, but I’m already 2 weeks behind on content at Macquarie since I’ve spent more time researching information about courses than studying, especially because I only started to entertain the idea of going to uni a little over a month ago. :’) I don’t trust myself to achieve a good enough WAM with the way I feel at the moment, on top of the way I feel all the time, plus it’s been over a year since I’ve done any form of study.

Appreciate you taking the time to read all this, and thanks for any and all advice! c:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Since I did not study a psychology degree, my knowledge of psychology does not extend beyond that relevant to human resource management and organisational behaviour. However, I will provide some general thoughts and bump your thread, hoping that someone else whose studies are more relevant can provide more direct/specific advice.

I can definitely relate to your comments on travel time and mode of delivery. I studied at WSU from 2020 to 2022 and as someone living in the Western Sydney region, the location of the Parramatta City campus was extremely convenient in terms of travel time, only requiring a 20-minute train to get to the campus which is right next to the Parramatta train station. The ability to choose between online and face-to-face classes (especially towards 2022) was also convenient.

I am currently undertaking an Honours year at USyd and not only does it now take me an hour to get to campus, but USyd has also fully returned to face-to-face delivery, making it less convenient. However, this is something I can endure, meaning that it is not as much of a problem for me. Because of this, if you feel that travelling to UNSW would be highly inconvenient and not a viable option, you should probably remain at MQ.

Regarding the prestige of each university, my understanding is that a person's employability in psychology is not affected by the prestige of the university that they attended (as opposed to other fields, such as law). Based on this, you should prioritise your ability to be accepted into an Honours stream in the first place instead of trying to make a decision that emphasises prestige. If you have not already, you may also wish to explore programs offered at other universities, and whether such programs can match your interests more closely. For example, both WSU and ACU offer a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours).

Additionally, if you are not already aware, you are able to complete the undergraduate component at a specific university and subsequently apply for Honours at a different university. In your case, if you wish to complete the Honours component at UNSW, you can complete your first 3 years at MQ then apply to UNSW as an external applicant. If your WAM is sufficiently high so as to maximise your competitivenes, and if there are available places, you may have a good chance of being made an offer through this path.

I hope this helps! 😄

despair

HSC
Since I did not study a psychology degree, my knowledge of psychology does not extend beyond that relevant to human resource management and organisational behaviour. However, I will provide some general thoughts and bump your thread, hoping that someone else whose studies are more relevant can provide more direct/specific advice.

I can definitely relate to your comments on travel time and mode of delivery. I studied at WSU from 2020 to 2022 and as someone living in the Western Sydney region, the location of the Parramatta City campus was extremely convenient in terms of travel time, only requiring a 20-minute train to get to the campus which is right next to the Parramatta train station. The ability to choose between online and face-to-face classes (especially towards 2022) was also convenient.

I am currently undertaking an Honours year at USyd and not only does it now take me an hour to get to campus, but USyd has also fully returned to face-to-face delivery, making it less convenient. However, this is something I can endure, meaning that it is not as much of a problem for me. Because of this, if you feel that travelling to UNSW would be highly inconvenient and not a viable option, you should probably remain at MQ.

Regarding the prestige of each university, my understanding is that a person's employability in psychology is not affected by the prestige of the university that they attended (as opposed to other fields, such as law). Based on this, you should prioritise your ability to be accepted into an Honours stream in the first place instead of trying to make a decision that emphasises prestige. If you have not already, you may also wish to explore programs offered at other universities, and whether such programs can match your interests more closely. For example, both WSU and ACU offer a Bachelor of Psychology (Honours).

Additionally, if you are not already aware, you are able to complete the undergraduate component at a specific university and subsequently apply for Honours at a different university. In your case, if you wish to complete the Honours component at UNSW, you can complete your first 3 years at MQ then apply to UNSW as an external applicant. If your WAM is sufficiently high so as to maximise your competitivenes, and if there are available places, you may have a good chance of being made an offer through this path.

I hope this helps! 😄
Not a worry your input and advice are much appreciated, thank you! :D

I also live in the Western Sydney region (Hills) so I'm right with you there. I wonder why USYD and UNSW seem so insistent on fully returning to F2F learning when other universities (eg. WSU and MQ) don't seem to be stressing it so much. It seems like it indicates that the quality of their online learning delivery is much poorer in comparison, and perhaps they've received complaints from both staff and students. That's the feeling I get, anyway.

I think I'd feel similarly about travelling to UNSW if it was just one year. Tough it out. But having to make the trip for what could be 3-8 years (depending on study load and if I pursue postgraduate study) just sounds like a nightmare. I don't see myself moving just to be closer to campus, not with how ridiculously expensive that would be.

Actually, prestige isn't really something I've been considering at all. Though for me, I do view "prestige" with a lot of negative stigmas, so it actually drives me away. Besides, if I was to complete further study, where I completed my undergraduate degree would be pretty irrelevant I'd imagine. I did read that most graduates of the Master of Psychology (Forensic) at UNSW find employment before they even graduate, which does make a lot of sense since it's the only place in NSW that offers endorsement as a forensic psychologist. Easy pickings for employers.

I have noticed that there are a few other universities that offer one unit within the realm of forensic psychology as an elective. It just feels silly to go out of my way to study at a university just because it has one or two units on the topic. It's such a shame that Macquarie doesn't even have one unit on forensic psychology.

Something I'm considering is trying concurrent studies. Instead of going out of my way to study at a more inconvenient university for a long period of time, I just pick up one or two units and have them credited towards my degree at MQ. Perhaps I could complete the two units offered at UNSW through this option. It sounds like a lot of complicated extra work just from having a quick look, but so is the goddamn light rail. cx

I will say though about UNSW - what might actually be the best advantage is the potential networking with people involved in the Master's course. I would imagine the people running/teaching the forensic psychology units would be involved and might be able to provide advice on how best to prepare and such. I'd be really curious to know the type of applicants that actually get into the course and if they've done any formal study on forensic psychology.

I have heard it's very common for people to apply to multiple different Honours programs to increase their chances. I did note that UNSW heavily prioritises internal students and only considers external applicants if they have any spots. I think the minimum WAM for external applicants is 80, but I imagine you'd likely need higher. I'd definitely still try applying, but if I actually got in I'd be stuck with another big decision.. please.. no more decision-making!! xc

Edit: I just found a place on the UNSW website which lists the names and contact details of people involved in forensic psychology at the university. I feel mega shy and such a bother to email them but I know I've just gotta bite the bullet and go for it at this point. :')

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Not a worry your input and advice are much appreciated, thank you! :D

I also live in the Western Sydney region (Hills) so I'm right with you there. I wonder why USYD and UNSW seem so insistent on fully returning to F2F learning when other universities (eg. WSU and MQ) don't seem to be stressing it so much. It seems like it indicates that the quality of their online learning delivery is much poorer in comparison, and perhaps they've received complaints from both staff and students. That's the feeling I get, anyway.

I think I'd feel similarly about travelling to UNSW if it was just one year. Tough it out. But having to make the trip for what could be 3-8 years (depending on study load and if I pursue postgraduate study) just sounds like a nightmare. I don't see myself moving just to be closer to campus, not with how ridiculously expensive that would be.

Actually, prestige isn't really something I've been considering at all. Though for me, I do view "prestige" with a lot of negative stigmas, so it actually drives me away. Besides, if I was to complete further study, where I completed my undergraduate degree would be pretty irrelevant I'd imagine. I did read that most graduates of the Master of Psychology (Forensic) at UNSW find employment before they even graduate, which does make a lot of sense since it's the only place in NSW that offers endorsement as a forensic psychologist. Easy pickings for employers.

I have noticed that there are a few other universities that offer one unit within the realm of forensic psychology as an elective. It just feels silly to go out of my way to study at a university just because it has one or two units on the topic. It's such a shame that Macquarie doesn't even have one unit on forensic psychology.

Something I'm considering is trying concurrent studies. Instead of going out of my way to study at a more inconvenient university for a long period of time, I just pick up one or two units and have them credited towards my degree at MQ. Perhaps I could complete the two units offered at UNSW through this option. It sounds like a lot of complicated extra work just from having a quick look, but so is the goddamn light rail. cx

I will say though about UNSW - what might actually be the best advantage is the potential networking with people involved in the Master's course. I would imagine the people running/teaching the forensic psychology units would be involved and might be able to provide advice on how best to prepare and such. I'd be really curious to know the type of applicants that actually get into the course and if they've done any formal study on forensic psychology.

I have heard it's very common for people to apply to multiple different Honours programs to increase their chances. I did note that UNSW heavily prioritises internal students and only considers external applicants if they have any spots. I think the minimum WAM for external applicants is 80, but I imagine you'd likely need higher. I'd definitely still try applying, but if I actually got in I'd be stuck with another big decision.. please.. no more decision-making!! xc

Edit: I just found a place on the UNSW website which lists the names and contact details of people involved in forensic psychology at the university. I feel mega shy and such a bother to email them but I know I've just gotta bite the bullet and go for it at this point. :')
Concurrent studies sounds like a good idea, as you would be able to address the issue of MQ not offering units related to forensic psychology while not having to commit to UNSW for an unbearable period of time.

You make an important point regarding networking. This is definitely an aspect that should not be overlooked and will likely assist you in terms of approaching your studies beyond your undergraduate degree. Contacting the people involved in forensic psychology at UNSW also sounds like a good idea. If you are serious about developing this sort of social capital, your ambitions can take you a long way.

UNSW does indeed seem quite competitive in terms of its Honours program (especially for psychology) and being an external applicant does not help much 😅 But as you mentioned, it is definitely still worth a try.

I wish you the very best of luck! It is definitely not easy having to make many difficult decisions, but I am confident that you will eventually find the right options for you and that you will undoubtedly succeed in your studies! :D

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
To comment on the prestige being so important in areas such as law, which I do. Prestige isn't necessarily as big of an issue as it was 10+ years ago for example, but I would say it is mainly due to the over saturation of people wanting to become lawyers. The Big 6 law firms seek out some type of 'diversity' in their employment, that they will hire from other universities such as mcq, uts, uow and the like, however a majority will still come from unsw and usyd.

despair

HSC
Concurrent studies sounds like a good idea, as you would be able to address the issue of MQ not offering units related to forensic psychology while not having to commit to UNSW for an unbearable period of time.

You make an important point regarding networking. This is definitely an aspect that should not be overlooked and will likely assist you in terms of approaching your studies beyond your undergraduate degree. Contacting the people involved in forensic psychology at UNSW also sounds like a good idea. If you are serious about developing this sort of social capital, your ambitions can take you a long way.

UNSW does indeed seem quite competitive in terms of its Honours program (especially for psychology) and being an external applicant does not help much 😅 But as you mentioned, it is definitely still worth a try.

I wish you the very best of luck! It is definitely not easy having to make many difficult decisions, but I am confident that you will eventually find the right options for you and that you will undoubtedly succeed in your studies! :D
Thank you so much for your perspective and advice! :D

I hope so, and good luck with your studies too! 🖤

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)