Macquarie University for music? (1 Viewer)

rhapsody91

HSC
N/A
Hi,
I was wondering how good studying music at Macquarie University is compared to others such as Sydney Uni and UWS?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The music course at Macquarie is very much a contemporary/practical one. You learn maybe the basics of music, but it deals more with performance, recording, mixing and mastering rather than theory.

If you're looking to go into teaching music, UWS or the Con would be better. If you're looking for out and out theory, again the Con would be better.

HSC
N/A
There's another girl at my singing studio studying vocal studies at USYD. As AsyLum mentioned, the big difference is that USYD is very classically-based, so opera for vocals (no microphones permitted), piano, violin etc. Whereas MQ is very contemporary, so focus is on contemporary vocals, guitar, plus a whole bunch of music editing and music recording work with pro-level recording equipment on campus.

The Con is great, but is largely classically-focused with a big theory component so geared towards those interested in such a thing. MQ does have theory, but offers a variety of subjects that are literally about 95-100% practical.

In terms of fun and engagement, everyone I know who has done it (experienced musician or complete beginner) has enjoyed it immensely and many continue music studies far longer than the original elective-burner they thought it would be.

sparkerasp

HSC
What do people think of the Music course in UNSW?

I'm thinking of doing a combined degree Bachelor of Engineering/Arts (in music). Would this be a good combination?

Originally I did want to go the USyd, but then I thought travelling between the Con and the Camperdown/Darlington campus would be a real big hassle.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Maybe you should you know, ask the people who go to UNSW rather than ask people who go to Macquarie!

Just a thought.

sparkerasp

HSC
AsyLum said:
Maybe you should you know, ask the people who go to UNSW rather than ask people who go to Macquarie!

Just a thought.
Sorry, I just read the topic, didn't read the University. Thanks for pointing that out :hammer:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)