Macquarie University launches a graduate entry MD (Doctor of Medicine) (1 Viewer)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
"Today we’re pleased to announce the launch of the Macquarie MD, a four-year graduate-entry Doctor of Medicine program that combines on-site learning with extended international experiences.
A significant component of the program will be taught at MQ Health, Australia’s first university-led not-for-profit private teaching hospital and academic health sciences centre, and will be complemented by core clinical placements and selective opportunities at the Apollo Hospital in Hyderabad, India in addition to clinical placements at the Northern Sydney Local Health District (primarily within the Royal North Shore Hospital) and the MindSpot Clinic in Sydney.
We expect to welcome our first cohort of students next year. Find out more about the program here: http://macq.it/2fkQFUS "

Reference: Macquarie University Facebook Page.

mazcry

HSC
got heaps excited then i remembered GAMSAT GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

iStudent

HSC
Just being a devils advocate here, don't we have enough medical schools? I've heard that there aren't enough residency positions for graduates due to our limited number of hospitals and government funding.
Yea the med school is just a cash grab/prestige grab by MACQU. We really don't need more medical schools...

A1P

HSC
I've heard that there aren't enough residency positions for graduates
That's if you speak from the perspective of international med students in Aus.
Otherwise, the med schools are *not* producing enough domestic graduates to fill all the intern/residency positions on offer by hospitals and state governments.

andrew12678

HSC
That's if you speak from the perspective of international med students in Aus.
Otherwise, the med schools are *not* producing enough domestic graduates to fill all the intern/residency positions on offer by hospitals and state governments.
Hahaha

A1P

HSC
Wait, so you're saying that there is a shortage of people applying for these positions?
No shortage of people applying for these positions, because there's a pool of international med grads eager to take the positions not filled by Aus domestic grads.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I understand its expensive for the govt to run medical programs, but in that case just don't build anymore medical schools. Only people who can afford it will be able to get in, less qualified people. It's sad.

A1P

HSC
I understand its expensive for the govt to run medical programs, but in that case just don't build anymore medical schools. Only people who can afford it will be able to get in, less qualified people. It's sad.
The gov neither built nor will contribute to this MQ med school, it's all full-fee.

If UQ USyd UNSW can take hundreds of international med students, many of whom are from wealthy families, many of whom will take Aus hospital/intern jobs, what's wrong with MQ doing the same for 40 Aus students. Aren't these Aus students as entitled to the "surplus" intern positions as the international students, if not more?

Last edited:

aoc

HSC
I didnt even know medicine was on offer to international students...Is this postgrad only? or for undergrad too?

A1P

HSC
I didnt even know medicine was on offer to international students...Is this postgrad only? or for undergrad too?
Yes both postgrad & undergrad. See this table there are ~500 int'l med students per year with the highest numbers at UQ, USyd, UNSW & Monash
http://www.medicaldeans.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Table5.pdf

In round numbers last year there were 3,400 intern positions. They went in priority order first to 2950 CSP/BMP grads + 200 Aus full-fee grads (Bond, UMel, Notre Dame). With their higher priority you won't find any Aus grad who has missed out.

Any shortfall is in having only 250 intern positions for the 500 int'l students. Bear in mind most are from wealthy families and they get into med schools with lower marks than many poorer Aus students who want to do med but can't get in, does anyone still feel that's a shortage they all should have an intern job available on graduation?

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Really late to this thread, I just find it hilarious that people really were surprised that the university with its own private hospital opened a medical school. Like... what did you think they were going to do...

And lol @ sydney morning herald implying it's a 'cash grab' move. That's really poor journalism.

Anyhoo, I wish for the best with the new students.

shivanshw63

HSC
Would there be much use in getting a clinical science degree at Macq on the chance that I didnt get into med. What im trying to ask is will there be any employment opportunities as a backup to med and/or would it be possible to complete the ClinSci and study further in a degree such as Masters in Radiography Uysd (interested in this field also)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Would there be much use in getting a clinical science degree at Macq on the chance that I didnt get into med. What im trying to ask is will there be any employment opportunities as a backup to med and/or would it be possible to complete the ClinSci and study further in a degree such as Masters in Radiography Uysd (interested in this field also)
If you're ok with research then yes, otherwise sure you could complete a masters, but why not just go straight into the combined bachelor and masters program for radiography? I would honestly be doing a double degree if you're going to do something like clinical sci. Don't make the same mistakes I did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)