• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Macquarie VS Excel (1 Viewer)

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I was at the bookshop being a study guide for Geography.

Which one is better.

Macquarie or Excel Geography.

Both look very professional.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
I've heard that the Macquarie Geo study guide is excellent.

From my previous experience with Excel study guides, they aren't that great (although they were for other subjects, so the Geo one might be different).
I reckon go for the Macquarie one...

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
excel study guides are very easy to understand and follow.

scut

The Journeyman
HSC
BreaKing said:
excel study guides are very easy to understand and follow.
Thats a good point, Excel guides are succinct and easy to understand. However I still think Macquarie has a big edge over excel when it comes to Geography study guides.

Perhaps your teacher may be able to provide a little bit more insight into which study guide is better.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
In my geography class we're currently using Excel. But excel though is a bit outdated for 2001. I still haven't found a 2004 Version of Geography Excel.

So maybe I should buy the Macquarie Guide.

There's also GETSMART. but that looks really elementary style, with bad cartoon pictures and cheap recycled paper.

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
I went to the bookshop and bumped into the 2004 version of Excel HSC Geography.

It's thicker than Macquarie does that mean better.

I'm stuck in dilemmas

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
wat ever you do dont get excel it is literally useless. macquarie is really really good. it follows the dot points better. i have both and excel for geography is the most useless study guide i have ever seen in my life. get macquarie

zenger69

Bok Choyer
HSC
Is your's the Excel 2004 edition.

I stood at Dymocks for about an hour choosing between each other and gave up and waited for other ppl's opinions.

dezzy

HSC
i bought the new excel study guide (2004) and its good if you want help with answering extended responses, and its full of practice questions...also, you get study cards with it which i find a really good summary if your too lazy to make up your own summary. they have good illustrative examples, which the markers look for.

I have the macq revision guide for legal studies, and its really good too...i havnt seen the geography one tho.

but its mainly up to personal preference.

Excel is more....academic?

cassy

personally as far as content goes on the three topics, macquarie definately is da best

BUT

ive also got the excel book and ive found that has more info on skills than macquarie which has practically no info or questions on skills in it

also my friend has the 2004 excel and she says it does have some good essay practice questions

starbaaa

Untalkative Member
HSC
I have the 2004 excel one and i reckon its pretty good... of course, i dont have the macquarie one to compare it with...

Tut Tut

....may be usful may not be

ok, well i randomly read through some of the other posts and some i disagree with. i personally dont think that the 2004 excel is useless.... nor do i not approve the maquarie because i like maquarie guide....
however, i think it depends on what topics you do as to which text/guide will suit your needs best.... what topics do u do and maybe i can help you find which is better???
worst comes to worst....buy both!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)