Maintaining a Balance Tips (1 Viewer)

menagerie

go to the nsw hsc online website it is really good - it outlines the bio sylabus and notes for each -
the website is: hsc.csu.edu.au

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
i have a decent set of notes that will be in the resources section when ive finished the other chapters.

pm if your interested.

smiley_1001

HSC
N/A
Hi Guys,
Does anybody know where to find some transverse and longitudinal drawings of the phloem and xylem? By the way, the notes at the start of this thread are great! Thankyou

ellewishes

Special

I'm looking for some help. i'm finding it hard to find the resources i need. how do you find your way around? i dont even know how to start my own forum arghhhhhh!!!!!! please help i'm........special hehehe

jesster88

HSC
*~Dazed~* said:
hey thanks mito that was good... nice little summary there too...

hey do you think its necessary to be able to draw an artery, vein and capillary... because i find that the diagrams of artery and vein look the same and i dont know how to distingusih between them
the difference between a vein and an artery is that veins have valves to stop backflow

at least i think thats it i will have to check

Cab31

HSC
jesster88 said:
the difference between a vein and an artery is that veins have valves to stop backflow

at least i think thats it i will have to check
Arteries are thicker - they have more muscle to pump the blood around and withstand pressure.

Veins have valves and are thinner with less muscle

by the way i put all my notes up on the resources section for each topic, plus communication and all the pracs :)

maintaining a balance:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/biology/1105221415_2004_Biology_Notes_cab_31.doc

Blueprint:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/biology/1105221411_2004_Biology_Notes_cab_31.doc

Search for better health:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/biology/1105221459_2004_Biology_Notes_cab_31.doc

Communication:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/biology/1105221573_2004_Biology_Notes_cab_31.doc

All pracs:
http://www.boredofstudies.org/courses/science/biology/1105221562_2004_Biology_Notes_cab_31.doc

PM me if you guys need any help... i feel sorry for you all. I remember how stressful this time was last year

Last edited:

arson_system

Wanna Learn ?
HSC
thanks alot for 'em CAB31, aaaghhh it's more than stressful, i suck at bio big time and i'm abt to freak for the paper on fri! :O ...more likely on thurs lol cuz it won't dawn on me until then ;p

did_god_surf

HSC
glossary

Important terms: enzyme, substrate, pH, homeostasis, xylem, phloem, symplast, apoplastic, osmosis, diffusion, filtration, reabsorption, secretion, kidney (and its components), enantiostasis, renal dialysis

i dont no many of these terms well would it be possible for sum 1 to post them . thx

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
Re: glossary

Enzyme - are catalysts which control the rate of a metabolic reaction - they speed it up or slow it down. An important thing to note about enzymes is that they are specific, each enzyme only reacts with a specific substrate which is discussed later.

Substrate - Molecules which the enzyme reacts on. Both enzyme and substrate will bind together, where a reaction will then occur and the substrate is changed. They split and the product is released; the enzyme returns to original form.

homeostatis - Process in which the body will try to maintain a stable internal, balanced enviroment for its cells. THere are two stages involved in homeostatis 1. detecting the change from the balanced state, and 2. counteracting the change so that it returns to original, balanced state. Homeostatis is essential for many processes in the body, for example it is vital for enzymes since they need optimum conditions for them to work best. An unbalanced or unusual enviroment will result in the enzyme being denatured.

Can someone else post more?

And btw, no God did not surf.

Lizzae

HSC
" 9. Xylum carries main H2O and ions; passive transport occurs in the xylum; know that capillary action (+adhesion and cohesion) and transpiration helps the transportation of materials in xylem"

It's spelt Xylem mate :) Good tips all the same

dream-team99

HSC
Thanks mitochondria awesome notes
Just the stuff to get us ready lolz
thankz

vanessahidayat

HSC
Maintaining a Balance

on the 2006 HSC paper for bio i saw this question.
Why is it necessary for organisms to remove metabolic waste products?

thanks heaps!

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
Re: Maintaining a Balance

vanessahidayat said:
on the 2006 HSC paper for bio i saw this question.
Why is it necessary for organisms to remove metabolic waste products?

thanks heaps!
Products of metabolism are:
CO2 and Nitrogenous Wastes
CO2 combines with the blood forming hydrocarbonate ions, which dissasociate to make the blood more acidic = bad for homeostasis
Nitrogenous wastes are extremely poisonous and so need to be diluted/converted as soon as possible

Disenchanted

HSC
Could anyone please help me with this question im confused!

Explain why it is incorrect to say that arteries carry oxygenated blood and veins carry deoxygenated blood?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Disenchanted said:
Could anyone please help me with this question im confused!

Explain why it is incorrect to say that arteries carry oxygenated blood and veins carry deoxygenated blood?
I thought that all arteries carry oxygenated blood with the EXCEPTION of the pulmonary artery, from the right side of the heart to the lungs :spin:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)