Major + Minor for double degree students (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hey guys
I am a second year student doing comm/law
currently im taking accounting as my major but the problem is i dont like/get it and hv been getting average grades
im thinking of changing acct to minor and picking up another major
my options are:

1. finance - typical combination and in this case i only have to take 1 more course, no need to defer
im quite interested in it but i aint good at maths :(
just wondering how much content in finance is maths-based? I only did 3U maths back in high school and barely got E4
- what kind of maths is it? if it's more like stat then im screwed as i barely passed the course :(

2. International business
- good thing is im good at writing essays
- apparently not all the courses have finals?! :D
- need to defer for 1 sem/overload for 2 sems/do summer courses :(

3. Marketing
- tbh not really interested in it as it's fluffy stuffs
- but i heard in terms of WAM and workload it's really good?!

Tbh im more inclined towards the legal field so my aim is to maximise my law wam and minimise the workload on the commerce side

Please help me decide :(

Last edited:

Confound

HSC
I did general maths in HS and got like band 4 and i'm majoring in acct/finance (2nd year). Do finance! I find it a lot more interesting, easier and more fun than acct tbh. The math is pretty straight forward too 1 + 1 = 3 etc etc

I thought fins2624 would have been the wam killer that I keep hearing about but I found it easier than 1613; In terms of less workload and easier to understand

HSC
N/A
I did general maths in HS and got like band 4 and i'm majoring in acct/finance (2nd year). Do finance! I find it a lot more interesting, easier and more fun than acct tbh. The math is pretty straight forward too 1 + 1 = 3 etc etc

I thought fins2624 would have been the wam killer that I keep hearing about but I found it easier than 1613; In terms of less workload and easier to understand

thanks for your reply! :)

as minor = 5 courses with at least 3 courses of level 2+, does it mean i can skip the compulsory ones like 2624?

also do u hv any theory-based, wordy finance electives to recommend? i prefer courses like 1612 :)

thanks!!!

turnerloos

TAFE Executive Officer
HSC
okay...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys
I am a second year student doing comm/law
currently im taking accounting as my major but the problem is i dont like/get it and hv been getting average grades
im thinking of changing acct to minor and picking up another major
my options are:

1. finance - typical combination and in this case i only have to take 1 more course, no need to defer
im quite interested in it but i aint good at maths :(
just wondering how much content in finance is maths-based? I only did 3U maths back in high school and barely got E4
- what kind of maths is it? if it's more like stat then im screwed as i barely passed the course :(

2. International business
- good thing is im good at writing essays
- apparently not all the courses have finals?! :D

3. Marketing
- tbh not really interested in it as it's fluffy stuffs
- but i heard in terms of WAM and workload it's really good?!

Tbh im more inclined towards the legal field so my aim is to maximise my law wam and minimise the workload on the commerce side

Please help me decide :(
probs not best idea to do marketing. like if ur law efforts fall through. gg

HSC
N/A
Anyone can provide insights on these fins courses?:) ease? maths/theory content? workload?

International Corporate Governance - FINS3626
Asia-Pacific Capital Markets - FINS2622
Bank Financial Management - FINS3630
Behavioural Finance - FINS3655
Venture Capital - FINS3623
Applied Corporate Finance - FINS3625

HSC
N/A
after further contemplation i am most likely to keep my acct major and pick up finance as a minor so i can avoid the maths part... however i will hv to do 1 extra course
do u think having fins as a minor make your transcript/CV better? or employers dun care abt minor at all?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
after further contemplation i am most likely to keep my acct major and pick up finance as a minor so i can avoid the maths part... however i will hv to do 1 extra course
do u think having fins as a minor make your transcript/CV better? or employers dun care abt minor at all?
The entire reason why I'm not doing a finance major. And pretty much what you mention later on. You don't be able to get a finance job with a minor anyways.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
gonna use my extra units to do marketing subs or go on dem exchange courses. lel

HSC
N/A
gonna use my extra units to do marketing subs or go on dem exchange courses. lel
i also thought of not picking up fins and use the extra units to do marketing courses but mark1012 was a nightmare :( got really irresponsible groupmates and eventually we all screwed up :(

but for fins 1 extra course shouldnt be a big problem? ur right doing a minor doesnt help much...but i part of the reasons why i wanna do it is that i srsly lack financial knowledge (which i think is useful in everyday life even i dun get a job in the financial field) and acct is too monotonous that i need something to balance it out :S still deciding what to do now

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
i also thought of not picking up fins and use the extra units to do marketing courses but mark1012 was a nightmare :( got really irresponsible groupmates and eventually we all screwed up :(

but for fins 1 extra course shouldnt be a big problem? ur right doing a minor doesnt help much...but i part of the reasons why i wanna do it is that i srsly lack financial knowledge (which i think is useful in everyday life even i dun get a job in the financial field) and acct is too monotonous that i need something to balance it out :S still deciding what to do now
Yeah if I do decide to do mark subs, gonna group up with friends.

Doing the one extra course will be an issue in regards to intern and grad opportunities over the summer.

Don't think I can do a fins major; wanna use my business electives to chill and ease the struggles of acct.

HSC
N/A
unfortunately none of my fds are interested in marketing courses :/
nah i wont do summer course i will just overload
if i do summer course i will just do online ones :S cuz parents are overseas n i go back to home country every holiday :D
but yea acct isnt as chilled/easy as i thought :S wanted to do easy business courses within ASB but couldnt find any -__-

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO a minor in Finance would expand your career options, so definitely do it if you can. And the math in finance isn't hard at all if you stay away from the quantitative-based courses like Interest Rate Risk Management.

HSC
N/A
IMO a minor in Finance would expand your career options, so definitely do it if you can. And the math in finance isn't hard at all if you stay away from the quantitative-based courses like Interest Rate Risk Management.
thanks for your reply! so 2624 and 1613 and 3616 are the only quantitative ones right?
any recommendation on theory-based/wordy fins electives?
i will change to fins major cuz acct is just...boring :/

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for your reply! so 2624 and 1613 and 3616 are the only quantitative ones right?
any recommendation on theory-based/wordy fins electives?
i will change to fins major cuz acct is just...boring :/
hmmm, maybe you should do 1613 before making the swap to Finance. If you can handle 1613, then you'll be fine with most corp. finance electives.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
hmmm, maybe you should do 1613 before making the swap to Finance. If you can handle 1613, then you'll be fine with most corp. finance electives.
how representative is sem 1 1613 in regards to rest of finance, in contrast to the difficulty of sem 2. i did sem 1, and the finals was pretty straight forward, ez D.

Notsuree

HSC
Uni Grad
how representative is sem 1 1613 in regards to rest of finance, in contrast to the difficulty of sem 2. i did sem 1, and the finals was pretty straight forward, ez D.
Difficulty wise, I really don't think the assessments get much harder, at least for the corp. finance subjects like 3616 and ACF. Of course: a) Rob gave out free marks in 1613 - other lecturers won't be as kind; and b) for electives like Options, having a decent mathematical background will go a long way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)