Should I do a major?

• Yes

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

ziggyboy

HSC
Do you think doing a major is important? I'm doing Bachelor of Computer Science and I want to find out if people think it's advantageous for me to take up a major as opposed to doing just a regular degree. Do employers care? Your thoughts please.

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
i thought you had to major in something....
Nope. In computer science, as long as you complete the requirements (that is the core subjects) of the degree, you can get by without a major.

I say do the subjects you want to do. If there's one or two that end up needing to be done to get a major after you've done subjects you want, then go for a major. So no vote for me.

santaslayer

HSC
I'd do a major and use the left over credit points to complete a minor. I don't see the point in getting such a general degree with no direction. Then again, I'm computer stupid...:p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Get a major because it'd give you a bit of an advantage over someone who didn't have a major, because it shows you have a focus and didn't simply choose all the easy subjects but rather chose a focus and did the subjects you were required to do.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
like school, do waat u enjoy and u can't go wrong... much!

ziggyboy

HSC
Doing a major doesn't necessarily mean you're taking the easy way out. I'm bent on not doing one because I want to do the subjects I want. I reckon it'd be alright since most other unis don't have majors for computer science like UNSW or Sydney Uni.

santaslayer

HSC
ziggyboy said:
Doing a major doesn't necessarily mean you're taking the easy way out. I'm bent on not doing one because I want to do the subjects I want. I reckon it'd be alright since most other unis don't have majors for computer science like UNSW or Sydney Uni.
Ohhhhh....in that case I would just do the subjects I liked...I thought CS majors were everywhere....that way you're in thje same boat...:)

adsta

HSC
hey ziggy boy, I'm in the same position as you. But I've pretty much made my mind up on doing a major (well a double major actually). I think it looks better when you turn up for a job interview and they see that you majored in the jobs area. So yeah, I think you basically should sit down, plan what you want to do after uni and pick a major from that.
Oh, and where do we actually pick our major? Do we have to go see someone about it, or can we do it online?
Anyway, better get back to the study (why oh why do they put exams on saturday mornings...)

santaslayer

HSC
adsta said:
hey ziggy boy, I'm in the same position as you. But I've pretty much made my mind up on doing a major (well a double major actually). I think it looks better when you turn up for a job interview and they see that you majored in the jobs area. So yeah, I think you basically should sit down, plan what you want to do after uni and pick a major from that.
Oh, and where do we actually pick our major? Do we have to go see someone about it, or can we do it online?
Anyway, better get back to the study (why oh why do they put exams on saturday mornings...)
You only do the required subjects for the major, I don't think anyone (the authorities, admin) really care what you do. Although I have seen subjects where an application sheet for a ''request to change major'' existed...building 36.?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
santaslayer said:
You only do the required subjects for the major, I don't think anyone (the authorities, admin) really care what you do. Although I have seen subjects where an application sheet for a ''request to change major'' existed...building 36.?
They exist in building 3 too.

Informatics, SITACS, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)