Major Project - what are you doing? (1 Viewer)

What are you doing?

• Game

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • Database kind of thing

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Something that is not a game and does not contain a databse

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I've made a media program that plays MP3's, MPEG's, AVI's and WAV's. It's been a lot of fun. :)

Comedy_Al

I made a networked chess game (amongst others)... no ai but i'm working on it... got to be about 6 thousand lines s far. I've written this in another thread somewhere i'm sure. oh well here it is anyway:

ezzy85

hmm...yeah.....
HSC
N/A
we made an accounting thing thats supposed to be simplar than myob

Comedy_Al

Originally posted by The_White
Personally, I went and made an asteroids clone.
In full first person 3D
Sounds nice...... can u give us a link?

anyone know how to print to file from VB, opr is it impossible?
There are a cuple of diff ways, but this is the easiest:
To print the contents or text1,
Code:
Private Sub PrintText()
Dim CH, NX, Vol, VolL As Long, VolLPrev As Long
Vol = ""
Printer.CurrentX = 720 'leaves 1/2 inch left border [1440 twips = 1 inch (checked in MSDN)]
Printer.CurrentY = 720 'leaves 1/2 inch top border
For CH = 1 To Len(Text1.Text)
    NX = Mid(Text1.Text, CH, 1)
    If NX = Chr(13) Then
        Printer.CurrentX = 720
        Printer.Print Vol
        Vol = ""
        VolL = 0
        VolLPrev = 0
        CH = CH + 1
    Else
        Vol = Vol + NX
    End If
    VolL = VolLPrev + TextWidth(NX)
    VolLPrev = VolL
    If VolL >= Printer.Width - 1440 Then
    Printer.CurrentX = 720
    Printer.Print Vol
    Vol = ""
    VolL = 0
    VolLPrev = 0
    End If
    If Printer.CurrentY >= Printer.Height Then
        Printer.NewPage
    End If
Next CH
Printer.EndDoc
End Sub

Last edited:

Thommo

Originally posted by neester
I am making a website using PERL.
Javascript and other crap.
Im going to have Visual Basic Tutorials...
I dunno VB is too easy for me.

Last year my year 11 major was a Chat Program...
Its mad.
Its huge bout 8000 lines of code.
But now that im into PERL 8000 lines isnt much at all.

If you wanna see my websites check out:

http://www.neester.com

^^ Thats the old site

http://www.neester.com/cgi-bin/newsite/index.cgi

^^ That will be the final version... :D

Just need to complete all the modules!

I really like the look of youre site... can you tell me about perl, ie how difficult is it where to get it etc

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by Comedy_Al
There are a cuple of diff ways, but this is the easiest:
To print the contents or text1,
Code:
Private Sub PrintText()
Dim CH, NX, Vol, VolL As Long, VolLPrev As Long
Vol = ""
Printer.CurrentX = 720 'leaves 1/2 inch left border [1440 twips = 1 inch (checked in MSDN)]
Printer.CurrentY = 720 'leaves 1/2 inch top border
For CH = 1 To Len(Text1.Text)
    NX = Mid(Text1.Text, CH, 1)
    If NX = Chr(13) Then
        Printer.CurrentX = 720
        Printer.Print Vol
        Vol = ""
        VolL = 0
        VolLPrev = 0
        CH = CH + 1
    Else
        Vol = Vol + NX
    End If
    VolL = VolLPrev + TextWidth(NX)
    VolLPrev = VolL
    If VolL >= Printer.Width - 1440 Then
    Printer.CurrentX = 720
    Printer.Print Vol
    Vol = ""
    VolL = 0
    VolLPrev = 0
    End If
    If Printer.CurrentY >= Printer.Height Then
        Printer.NewPage
    End If
Next CH
Printer.EndDoc
End Sub
How is that code supposed to do the print to file function? It only prints to the printer.

chris42

HSC
I'm did a checkers game in Visual Basic. Was a nitemare to code but finally got it done :-d

My website for the game is www.chrisenterprises.cjb.net if you wanta to check it out. beware if you download the game that it requires Visual Basic Runtime files

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by chris42
I'm did a checkers game in Visual Basic. Was a nitemare to code but finally got it done :-d

My website for the game is www.chrisenterprises.cjb.net if you wanta to check it out. beware if you download the game that it requires Visual Basic Runtime files
lol why is it shareware?

u do know it's a bit too easy to crack

chris42

HSC
Yeah I know.. It was just because i needed to do a shareware licence for the project. What did you think of the program.. Should I implement a network component or single player 1st ?

Cube3

hey chris.. you didn't do single player??

(makes his contribution)
i did a side-scrolling shooter game of Trigun (western/space) but had to borrow code for bitblt

:argue: <-- (hey aren't they arguing in japanese?)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by chris42
Yeah I know.. It was just because i needed to do a shareware licence for the project. What did you think of the program.. Should I implement a network component or single player 1st ?
Did you use the Flash Active X component or just used web browser to and embeded the flash animation's in?

i honestly don't think u should say it needs to change resolution, if the user wants to run it then yes it will change itself, that's what most games do , it's strange how u asked that question "We are going to change your reso" if u say yes then it will change, obviously, if u said no it will exit... lol u either eliminate that dialog and screw it, becoz its not neccessary or you give a basic message box prompt stating it needs to change the reso for it to run

Last edited:

chris42

HSC
I used an active x component to insert the flash into the program. Yeah I realise now in hindsight i didn't need a question, I was just thinking of all those poor users running the really old graphics cards that might not be able to change to that resolution, but then again whose going to be running a flash game on a pentium 1 or lower anyways..

Winston

HSC
hmmmm still... not saying anything bad about your program, honestly out of all the games i've seen one user
ryan ckk i think forgot the username his connect 4 application's UI design was simple and wasn't too much for it, most SDD students like making games and making it so hmm i duno lol drastic, i like ur idea of skins and a flash of some aspects, like the main menu , but what i didn't like was when u got to the OK buttons and cancel ones u used flash really that's not necessary... i think if you made the dialog smaller and a bit normal like a program it would of been better, while the checker board and pieces being flash components were not a problem a good move.. but the buttons bah.. just my opinion. That's if your in for real software development. Because i know most people who think they're in for real development, actually have the worse UI skills, and making their programs hard for a normal user to understand, they keep thinking the user will think like they do.

chris42

HSC
Yeah I think In the future I would modify the program a bit, I was scarce on time, and considering I've got 6 other subjects to worry about I probably didn't have the time to finish the game as I would have wanted it. Also just to remember this is my first VB 6 project I completly did by myself, but thanks for your comments, If I'm making any software after the HSC I'll make note of those things. :)

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Chris... I havent run it yet - because it quit when i pressed 'no'...
But next time: for 'security' reasons... Don't make something like the file which stores the number of uses remaining so 'obvious'...
Like - at least call it something like 'opt.dat' and put it in another directory.

Ok - i've now run it.
Maybe one little aspect of gameplay that is well, quite important, is the fact that it keeps telling me that all my moves are 'illegal'...

Oh well. Nice graphics and sounds :)

Also: research 'changing refresh rate' with your changing resolutions, because now i have to go and change my refresh rate back to what it was...

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Fosweb
Chris... I havent run it yet - because it quit when i pressed 'no'...
But next time: for 'security' reasons... Don't make something like the file which stores the number of uses remaining so 'obvious'...
Like - at least call it something like 'opt.dat' and put it in another directory.

Ok - i've now run it.
Maybe one little aspect of gameplay that is well, quite important, is the fact that it keeps telling me that all my moves are 'illegal'...

Oh well. Nice graphics and sounds :)

Also: research 'changing refresh rate' with your changing resolutions, because now i have to go and change my refresh rate back to what it was...
LMAO yeah, the file was a bit too obvious perhaps anonymously storing a registry value somewhere where the user woudln't guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)