Major Textiles Project (1 Viewer)

liger

HSC
Arhh I'm really bummed because I'm going to be in England when it goes on display. IF anyone sees a 1950s black and white polka dot dress- it's mine!

coco89

HSC
hey alyse, i just wanted to know how u would enter into that powerhouse thing and also wat was the mark that u recieved

HSC
I went to the 2006 Texstyle exhibition recently; which work was yours? All of them were fantastic.

bloomers

HSC
WOW i went to the texstyle exhibition and i saw your black+white polkadot Liger! it was sooo well made, congratulations!

all of them were BEAUTIFUL
i especially loved the pleats+ruffles dress, if anyone knows what im talking about. or if the person who made it sees this.......you rock.

HSC
Oh my goodness. I totally didn't read which one you said was yours!
Fantastic job 'liger'! It's beautiful. But I know my friends and I were like it's so simple but it got in. So, currently we're all confused about what's a good quality textile work.

HSC
Oh, bloomers!
Is that pleats and ruffles dress the yellow and purple one? Because I absolutely loved that!

bloomers

HSC
yeah, it was.

i saw it. and my jaw dropped. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR
and isnt it funny? how it wasnt overly fussy or embellished but created that kind of reaction? ahhhhh i want it.

but in response to the confusion over what merits a texstyle-class product - it doesnt have to be hugely extravagant or embellished and thats what a lot of people get confused over. espec. for the girls with more than one major work - IT REALLY DOES NOT HAVE TO TAKE 1000 HOURS TO DO. get a concept, stick to it, make sure it is WELL MADE. seriously. they only award you at the most five marks for degree of difficulty so why bother doing more than what you need to to get 5 marks? y'know?

hope this helps, rubificticious.

HSC
But then again, if you make a work that's too simplistic, you might not get the marks you hoped for!

sykosami

HSC
liger said:
Arhh I'm really bummed because I'm going to be in England when it goes on display. IF anyone sees a 1950s black and white polka dot dress- it's mine!
Ah! I know that one. Our tour girl made us all talk about it etc. It was made so well, only thing that really bothered me was the colour of the bodice and the colour of the polka dots on the skirt didn't match. Should have been all white, or all off-white, but it was obviously in the display for a reason!

neverXending

HSC
does anyone know what time/date we get our projects back?
i want/need my portfolio as an example of work to take to rmit interviews.. thats if i even get offered. gah just thinking about my design now and i hate it.

did anyone else feel that.. that they were so bloody sick of looking at their thing, and talking up everyhting about it, like the inspiration,
or the properties and performance.. like what attributes the fibre and yarn give the fabric and how it benfits/effectss your design,

im screwed for this if its in the exam,
gah

and my teacher totally hates me.
she was such a b*tch and tried to write off my design, becauseshe had favourites in the class.
yet i came first in all our exams since i first joined the school.

i hate teachers and their favrotism!

~kiki

HSC
we get them back first week of term and thats a definate :). They finished marking them on the last week of the holidays and they had already started to pack them up :). Whatever you do, don't lose your folio/ let the uni keep it for reference or something :p cause we are only notified as to whether or not we are selected for texstyle around the 12th of november :)

Rinne

HSC
I'm currently doing textiles at the moment, going to do HSC next year. I needed some help because I was going to make a costume for my MTP, but now I'm getting confused on whether it should be considered as a Textile Art rather than a costume. What is the major differentiation between a Costume and a Textile Art?

~kiki

HSC
Rinne said:
I'm currently doing textiles at the moment, going to do HSC next year. I needed some help because I was going to make a costume for my MTP, but now I'm getting confused on whether it should be considered as a Textile Art rather than a costume. What is the major differentiation between a Costume and a Textile Art?

The major difference would be you sources of inspiration/ the justification of design I suppose and also amount of decoration. For a costume you would really be looking at a theme eg mermaids-- or possibly you would specify a particular movie or character as inspiration. For textile art, it doesn't necessarily have to be an outfit it can be a wallhanging etc... also, your idea may be more abstract, for example "water"... the focus would be more on capturing the textures/ capturing a particular mood. Not sure if this helps or if has confused you more :p... Basically there is very little difference - just ask your teacher which area your item fits into best. As a general rule costumes are more thematic and textile art peices are more abstract. You've also got a little more freedom with textile art as you do not have any practical considerations (the item is not designed to be worn-- it is designed as an art peice) whilst costume you will need to include pratical features that make it more suited to its purpose/ make it wearable -- eg, elastic fabrics for a ballet costume, removable wings etc. The major difference would come down to the folio and the documentation. Each focus area is handled slightly differently

HSC
~kiki said:
The major difference would be you sources of inspiration/ the justification of design I suppose and also amount of decoration. For a costume you would really be looking at a theme eg mermaids-- or possibly you would specify a particular movie or character as inspiration. For textile art, it doesn't necessarily have to be an outfit it can be a wallhanging etc... also, your idea may be more abstract, for example "water"... the focus would be more on capturing the textures/ capturing a particular mood. Not sure if this helps or if has confused you more :p... Basically there is very little difference - just ask your teacher which area your item fits into best. As a general rule costumes are more thematic and textile art peices are more abstract. You've also got a little more freedom with textile art as you do not have any practical considerations (the item is not designed to be worn-- it is designed as an art peice) whilst costume you will need to include pratical features that make it more suited to its purpose/ make it wearable -- eg, elastic fabrics for a ballet costume, removable wings etc. The major difference would come down to the folio and the documentation. Each focus area is handled slightly differently
Well said!

Rinne

HSC
~kiki said:
well... I want to make a costume (tutu styled dress) but the only problem is that it'll have abstract features to its design, with visual representation of my concept to bring out the abstract design on the project item. Would it still be considered a costume or a textile art? Or is this something you say 'it is only limited by your imagination' thing where I have to make the decision on what it is?

HSC
Rinne said:
well... I want to make a costume (tutu styled dress) but the only problem is that it'll have abstract features to its design, with visual representation of my concept to bring out the abstract design on the project item. Would it still be considered a costume or a textile art? Or is this something you say 'it is only limited by your imagination' thing where I have to make the decision on what it is?
I would say go with Textile Art.
It just gives you more focus on the aesthetic features, rather than the actual dress construction if that makes sense. I'm not saying bodge you're basic construction, but a Textile Art is more heavily focused on the aesthetic, rather than lets put in an elastic waistband because it's a costume.

Rinne

HSC
rubificticious said:
I would say go with Textile Art.
It just gives you more focus on the aesthetic features, rather than the actual dress construction if that makes sense. I'm not saying bodge you're basic construction, but a Textile Art is more heavily focused on the aesthetic, rather than lets put in an elastic waistband because it's a costume.
okay, thank you <3

~kiki

HSC
Rinne said:
okay, thank you <3
also, you can avoid nasty things like zippers and stuff ^^.... actually-- to be honest I wouldn't do anything that even resembles apparal :p... even if its textile art :p. You're just in for loads more stress. Wallhangings are so much easier!!! and you can't screw up/ or not finish in time unless you really can't sew. With a wall hanging YOU decide when you want to stop and put the backing on cause the time is approaching to hand it in. With costume or apparal art as we shall call it :p... you can't just decide to stop if you haven't finished all the skirt panels... or if you haven't completed the bodice etc... so yeah... wall hangings all the way :)... save yourself alot of trouble.

HSC
~kiki said:
also, you can avoid nasty things like zippers and stuff ^^.... actually-- to be honest I wouldn't do anything that even resembles apparal :p... even if its textile art :p. You're just in for loads more stress. Wallhangings are so much easier!!! and you can't screw up/ or not finish in time unless you really can't sew. With a wall hanging YOU decide when you want to stop and put the backing on cause the time is approaching to hand it in. With costume or apparal art as we shall call it :p... you can't just decide to stop if you haven't finished all the skirt panels... or if you haven't completed the bodice etc... so yeah... wall hangings all the way :)... save yourself alot of trouble.
Not if you want to do a tutu! LOL.
I definatley see what you mean though. But in a way, there's much less scope with wall hangings.

Sophirr

HSC
Hey well im making a Japanese Kimono, there is no need for any zips n buttons there. ah i love textiles. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)