Major Work Next Year.. (2 Viewers)

Liisaaaa

HSC
just wondering does anyone know what their going to do for textiles MTP next year. I'm trying to rattle my brain for ideas. I'm thinking a dress made out of recyclable materials.....anyone else got their ideas?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Liisaaaa said:
just wondering does anyone know what their going to do for textiles MTP next year. I'm trying to rattle my brain for ideas. I'm thinking a dress made out of recyclable materials.....anyone else got their ideas?
I did the recycled material thing with a handbag.

Liisaaaa

HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I did the recycled material thing with a handbag.
yee see i realli wanna do something different but i dnt noe...still got a bit of time anyways

thanks for the input :)

jess-i-k

HSC
do something different
originality gets the marks
jsut make sure u DONT leave it 2 late!
start b4 xmas holz
cuz trust me you WILL regret it if you dont
i noe u prob think yea yea sure watever
cuz thats wat i thort along with my class
but we soon realised when it was trials time n pepz majors still WERENT done
n that our portfolios were lacken we shoulda done so much more b4 that
i hope all goes well
xx jess

lollipopxo

HSC
originality does not nessicarily get the marks, what gets the marks is the excecution of your design, it can be the most original idea in the world but if your hems are freying or a seam is loose or rips then your going to do crap. Do something you know you will enjoy doing, try and pick multiple sources of inspiration because that will help you with the exam as well as giving yuo more to talk about for your folio.

You do not have to have your final idea this term (term 4), have a general idea, my mtp developed so much from my 4th term desing to what i ended up completing. I did not stress at all and the night before it was due in i did my final print out at 7pm.
Its all about time management. listen to your teacher they have really good direction and know what the markers will be looking for to improve the design you initally wanted to create.

I recommend not starting your practile in the summer holidays if you screw something up the teacher isnt there, what i do recomen you do is if you have a solid idea buy your fabrics and the basic pattern, then do a near perfect draft of the visual design development section of your folio, once this is compelete 1/4 of your folio is out of the way which is a good chunck and your lucky enough to have access to the test book to describe how to set it out. And remember half the project is the folio, you need to make it both asthetically pleasing and link to your mtp, mine for example incorperated falling petals in both my mtp and my folio.

Good luck with everything and remember dont stress, stressing=rushing=shotty work you have to redo! :)

Liisaaaa

HSC
Thanks alot for all the advice...
I'm pretty good with time management till my last textiles work but im going to put that past me.
I think im just going to start looking round for inspiration and see what i would like to do.

Thanks again!
lisa

bethrealistic

HSC
Actually the best idea for working on your MTP over the summer holidays is to source ALL your fabrics and trims, do ALL your testing, and perfect your toile (your calico "practice" garment).
Don't start sewing with your real fabrics until your teacher has approved your toile...

Doing my toile and testing over the summer really saved me a lot of hassle when it came down to making my final garments - I didn't have to think, just sew! Makes it a lot easier to study for other stuff when you're not worried about how your MTP will turn out. Having a perfect toile means your garment should be perfect, too!

Also, while I'm at it... visit The Fabric Store (21 Cooper St, Surry Hills) for beautiful, unique fabrics and trims - we sell ex-designer stuff and brand new fabrics for affordable prices, so your MTP will look professional without costing you hundreds.

HSC
ok my advice is design something with these factors in mind

creative and innovative

i suggest try and get ur inspiration pages together now like just images that inspires you for example.
and remember do NOT leave the portfolio to the last min u WILL regret it!

for my portfolio a lot of girls in my class spent heaps just on paper for it and such. presentation is the key alongside the info BUT no point spending heaps if ur smart about it ;)
some girls photocopied a background relevant to them. i on the other hand used a patterned wrapping paper from the reject shop for like $2... i spent a little more on ribbons and braids and little bits of lace. the wrapping paper was relevant to what i was doing/ the colours/ pattern so i was lucky. but thats just a suggestion that can save u money and works quite well

also get urself some double sides sticky tape!
transparent paper to print ur info on is also great.
also, blue tact if ur not 100% sure how ur layout is going yet

make sure u dont go over the page limit ie inspiration page on a3 should be 2pages, ur designs 3pages etc... in total 12 a3 pages ;)

the project itself its alot of fun :) well i and lots of fun making it... ALWAYS do work in class, and read the instructions before you start just to get an idea...

if ur altering it quite alot, start early and do a mock up first.

fabric if ur looking for the type of fabric ur gonna find in lincraft and spotlight go to somewhere like cabramatta, there is sooooooo many fabric stores that sells that kind of generic fabrics for heap prices esp if u buy in bulk :)

experiments; dont leave those till the last min either...

good luck :)

shandon.smith

palmers island. heard of it? didnt think so...
HSC
im doing my mtp nxt year and we have started already. i have done my design inspiration and we are starting our experimentation in class. this term is reserved for experiments and theory, holidays is for further experiments and possibly a mock up, then the whole of nxt year is spent doing our prac work and finishing our supporting documentation.

i think this is an awesome way of doing it, wewill have loads of time to think things through and to get everything sorted out properly- no stress required. if i were you i would be considering making a decision and getting going!

also, not really related, but when choosing what your doing, be careful. one girl i heard of did a completely original design, a mini dress made entirely out of paperclips. it was pure genius- she sat and clipped paperclip after paperclip. Problem was, she got rotten marks for it because she actually hadnt used any techniques. if only she had stitched the paperclips. what a great idea but? that would be awesome. :)

Liisaaaa

HSC
Thanks everyone for the info....i finally got my idea!
AT our school we have to have our inspiration pretti much done this term and we are doing experiments as a class which may relate to our MTP which is good i think.
Anyways i'm going to do a quilt with dollhouses! Hopefully it will turn out good!

lisa xx

lizliz

HSC
I found what was best for getting my idea
1. Go to the library and get a crapload of textiles books of what you're interested in making e.g. Coco Chanel or Christian Dior's New Look
2. Make a tonne of preliminary sketches (which you may or may not use in the folio)
3. Keep going till you think you've got something achievable; you've researched what patterns are available; researched in books on the internet for tips on features that won't take up too much time and are practical for an MTP.

NOTE: try not to overdecorate, it doesn't matter how many times you use a technique you will only get marked once for it

nicesocksman

HSC
If I had to do my major work again..I would have done a Marie Antoinette dress. With so much detail, using fine silks.

HSC
just make sure you choose something you like.
mine was based on dancing (among other things) which i love, and it helped because i never got sick of making it.

dont choose something really really big. if you do something simpler and get it finished to a really good quality, its better than making something huge and amazing, but not getting it finished. its a good idea to choose a design that you can add things to after its finished if you have the time, such as sewing on beads or something.

make sure you have a really good idea of what your design will look like by the holidays. but also, be aware that you might make changes along the way to the original design.

for the main techniques, choose ones that you are familiar with and can do well.

i know its been said, but its so easy to leave your portfolio till the last minute. it ends up taking so much longer than you expect. aim to do something each week, even if its something small like a draft label or an experiment, it really adds up in the end.

yes its important to decorate the portfolio really well, but the quality of the information is more important. that should be your main focus, but also keep in mind how its going to look (especially the layout of your inspiration).

aim to get your major work finished at least by the holidays before its due. because everything takes longer than you expect and this will give you time to fix things like hems.

remember, its QUALITY not quantity. try and do everything to excellent quality, however, that been said, also dont spend way too long on a tiny part of it trying to get it perfect. sometimes things dont have to be 100% perfect, but just close to it. completion to a high quality is the main thing! not a perfect item that is only half done.

goodluck!
if you need help message me

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
Heyy. I am doing a wall hanging inspired (lamely) by Antarctica and penguins :p I love penguins haha
It's going to be full of applique, heat distortion, quilting and other shit I can't think of at the moment.

GRR i fucking hate portfolios. Urgh. So not looking forward to starting it.

I hate how with the whole Visual Design Development we all have to make it up. It strains my brain trying to be creative haha

Mone

HSC
I reckon that the markers are in love with the recycling idea so i think it woould be a good idea to make something out of recycled materials. I know that a girl in my grade made this garment out of recycled scraps and the teachers loved it.
I'm so jealous of u people who got to start on their folio work already, my teacher is still making us do these sample pieces of different techniques. But then i'm lucky that i had already decided what i want to make already, now i'm just hoping that I wouldn't hate it too much before term 2.:bomb:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I loved making my portfolio, it was better then the actual item

I am glad i did the recycled thing it does limit what you can do though

Liisaaaa

HSC
did anyone see this years texstyle expo....THEY WERE AWESOME
i almost died at the amount of work put into them....well its holidays now so i betta get cracking getting my fabric 2moro n gonna start cutting out

goodluck everyone....dw we will get it done (hopefully)

ctee

HSC
I think that markers love, technique and overall great execution. One of the markers came up to me at the texstyle exhibition and told me that she loved my major and the amount of work I had put into making it as well as my level of skill. My advice to you would be that if you have any second guesses about the quality of a seam, insertion of a zipper or anything else, do it again and make sure its perfect. I was really happy that I undid many parts of my garment to make sure it was perfect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)