Major works: the good the bad and the ugly! (1 Viewer)

libgem

what do you think?
of course there are benefits like expressing creativity, working independently etc....
but then there is the time factor, organisation, stress!!!

anymore ?
i need to give a tallk to a younger yr group about major works for subject choice so your opinions would be appreciated!

Choctop

Shmeh... tell em that they've got to be GOOD at Art to do it. Hammer this hard into their heads. Don't make out too much like it's always a bed of roses- tell them that they'll also have to deal not only with a major work and a difficult exam but also teachers who are more stressed than they are, the possible expenses incurred and the difficulty in getting good marks. I'm not being pessimistic, trust me, because everyone I talk to about Art thinks that it's the easiest subject ever and it's NOT. :mad:

miffytoki

HSC
tell them that being organised is a must and not to procrastinate! also theory is just as much as prac so go figure...and also to do a medium that they enjoy and that they think they can do really well in...theres no point in pursuing an artwork that you hate....

V

val_dramaqueen

Choctop said:
Shmeh... tell em that they've got to be GOOD at Art to do it. Hammer this hard into their heads. Don't make out too much like it's always a bed of roses- tell them that they'll also have to deal not only with a major work and a difficult exam but also teachers who are more stressed than they are, the possible expenses incurred and the difficulty in getting good marks. I'm not being pessimistic, trust me, because everyone I talk to about Art thinks that it's the easiest subject ever and it's NOT. :mad:
ditto to that!! defiantely say that! a lot of people think art is so easy (like all it is is a subject where you paint all day) but it definately isn't... oh and tell them that there's a heap of theory too!

Alison Grace

Art talk

Make sure you tell them not to be daunted by the whole major work thing. If you enjoy art and are willing to make a real effort then go for it!! it's a GREAT subject- some people are put off by theory, but it is so so helpful and relevant to your own creativity. the main thing is going into art with a positive attitude. it's really exciting- not many subjects give you the chance to do whatever you damn well please for most of the year :D Remember to stress that you don't need to be good at drawing, because art isn't about drawing alone. Tell them also that they should value their teacher. there's no point palming them off when they try and suggest things- they are teachers for a reason. they know what they're talking about. students need to work at developing a good relationship with their teacher, where they are allowed to espress themselves freely, but at the same time they consider carefully the advice given. Most of all, tell them that with the right attitude, art is fun- you can't get anywhere in life without hard work. besides, by the end of it you don't just end up with a single mark, but a real sense of accomplishment and a wonderful piece of art.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)