Major? (1 Viewer)

han_premium

HSC
Hello,

I just wanted to know what exactly a "major" is. Is it a focus on a particular subject of your course, or the course itself? People say "I'm an Arts major" and others say "I'm an English major," so I'm a little unclear...haha sorry for sounding so noob.

Also, if anyone does Engineering, can you post (or PM) me your course and stream (if any) and what you're majoring in?

Thanks!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Major is the focus of your degree. So while have a Bachelor of Commerce, your major could be accounting.

walk-the-line

HSC
Yeah, I don't know who would say 'I'm an Arts Major' unless they meant creative arts or something. Instead they'd probably say 'I'm doing Arts and my major is Ancient History'. Or Italian, Economics, Politics etc..

For some degree's your major is supposed to complement/relate to your degree's core also. Like for my degree the core(compulsory) is Social Science & Policy and the Major(elective) is International Relations.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
'I'm an Arts Major' unless they meant creative arts or something.
Not even that. I'm Creative Arts and wouldn't call myself an arts major. I don't know any one who would.

Then again, my degree is a Bachelor of Creative Arts. Though I don't even think those who have it as a part of Arts would say it. They more likely say their field, such as, Performance, Graphic Design etc.

Shaybay92

HSC
I'm doing Engineering and Science degree, major for engineering is Mechatronics.

walk-the-line

HSC
Not even that. I'm Creative Arts and wouldn't call myself an arts major. I don't know any one who would.

Then again, my degree is a Bachelor of Creative Arts. Though I don't even think those who have it as a part of Arts would say it. They more likely say their field, such as, Performance, Graphic Design etc.
Yeah well I was thinking that too, no reason for anyone to say 'I'm an Arts Major'...but was just trying to somehow figure out what the OP means

walk-the-line

HSC
Sounds a bit American........maybe if someone said 'I'm an Arts Major' there they would mean creative arts..

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wouldn't happen. Someone doing Creative Arts would say Creative Arts.

walk-the-line

HSC

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Art major is possible, for someone doing visual arts. "Arts Major" though, less of a chance.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
OP: Hopefully in all this rambling you've found your answer.

han_premium

HSC
Lol yea thanks all. If anyone's an engineering major (esp aeronautical space) can you tell me what your major is?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Lol yea thanks all. If anyone's an engineering major (esp aeronautical space) can you tell me what your major i
Argh... I thought we covered this...

han_premium

HSC
you know what i mean....Anyone doing aerospace eng, whats yer major?

Last edited:

wLym

HSC
you know what i mean....Anyone doing aerospace eng, whats yer major?
Sorry if i havent read this thread v carefully but engineering is a very broad term so anyone doing aerospace eng their major would be....aerospace engineering. Unless you mean if they work with either spacecraft or aeroplanes (i think thats what aerospace means, srry im not an engineering person)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)