Majors and minors, as it happens (1 Viewer)

Scorch

HSC
I know that, for a BArts at least, you need 36 senior credit points to get a major in something, but are you able to get two majors just by getting 36 credit points in two areas? Is there a such thing as a minor, or a secondary major?

Just to help with context, I'm majoring in Ancient History (doing a Bachelor of Arts) but I was hoping to study linguistics, as well. With my study of Italian, the only way I'd be able to get enough credit points to major in Linguistics as well would be to not do Italian for one semester in third year (currently in first year), because I didn't do any linguistics in first year and I'll have to take the first year course next semester.

Anyway, getting back to my question, if getting enough credit points to major in both of them (though I could always take 5 subjects in a semester if I was really dedicated ... *shudder*) was not an option, does the University recognise your points in that subject in any other way, for example saying you have a major in Ancient History and minored in Linguistics, or something like that?

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
The number of credit points differ from faculty to faculty. e.g. School of IT only requires 24 credit points of 3rd year subjects for an info systems or computer science major, whereas i think most arts ones are 36 3rd year credit points plus a few 2nd year ones and i think something like HR and industrial relations need 42 credit points worth of 'core' subjects (2nd and 3rd level subjects).

Check up on the faculty you are interested in doing a major in (some courses may not count towards the major, or you have to take a certain combination of 2nd/3rd year courses for it).

Some faculties also offer minors. School of IT is the only one i know that does. You just have to do 18 credit points of 2nd year subjects i think. Maths and physics have something like that too iirc.

HSC
You can do two arts majors (Ancient History + Linguistics)...I don't think we have minors in arts, at least as far as I'm aware

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
1) you can double major if you wish (i did so)
2) whilst you are required to complete a major, they aren't officially listed on your transcript anyway

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^Wow, so does that mean you could thereotically say you did x major when you didn't and no-one would know? (until you got to the job, that is). I would've thought there'd be some proof of a major you did.

icedjulia

HSC
Yes. If you've organised your degree nicely you find you can do 3 majors.
12 junior CP + 36 senior CP = 48 CP
48CP x 3 = 144 CP

But of course if you're able to skip the junior credit points then you can do other things you're also interested in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)