Majors in Science/Medical Science (1 Viewer)

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
Happy New Year to everyone. The firework was awesome.
How many majors can you take in Bachelor of Medical Science and that of Science (Advanced) at USYD?
I heard that you can do (and most do) two majors for Science (Advanced) but usually only one for Medical Science. This would certainly cut down the merits of studyijng Medical Science.
Also, while we are on the subject, UAC Guide Entry for Science (Advanced) reads
'In the third year you usually study two subject area per semester, at least one of which is t the advanced level-these are regarded as majors. A DOUBLE MAJOR IN A SINGLE AREA IS ALSO AVAILABLE'.
What does that mean by double major in single area? Does that mean that you study a particular area of science (say chemistry) and study it intensively-twice as much as normal major-and have 'Chemistry...' and 'Chemistry...' as separate Majors on your Testamur? I believe that it has to be somehow different from taking just one 'normal' major for your degree. Any information?

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
sydneyphoenix said:
Happy New Year to everyone. The firework was awesome.
How many majors can you take in Bachelor of Medical Science and that of Science (Advanced) at USYD?
I heard that you can do (and most do) two majors for Science (Advanced) but usually only one for Medical Science. This would certainly cut down the merits of studyijng Medical Science.
Also, while we are on the subject, UAC Guide Entry for Science (Advanced) reads
'In the third year you usually study two subject area per semester, at least one of which is t the advanced level-these are regarded as majors. A DOUBLE MAJOR IN A SINGLE AREA IS ALSO AVAILABLE'.
What does that mean by double major in single area? Does that mean that you study a particular area of science (say chemistry) and study it intensively-twice as much as normal major-and have 'Chemistry...' and 'Chemistry...' as separate Majors on your Testamur? I believe that it has to be somehow different from taking just one 'normal' major for your degree. Any information?
as many majors as you want dude, you can OVERLOAD. Some do triple majors too. You can overload from 1st year, doing 2nd/3rd year units that dont have any prerequisites etc.
The number of majors doesn't matter too much i dont think, it's mainly the degree you get that sells.
A double major is when you do twice the number of credit points required to get ONE major in a subject area. Like for maths you can major in pure/applied/statistics

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
But is there actual 'Major' in Course of Bachelor of Medical Science?
I looked into the faculty handbook, and they termed third year subjects as 'Senior Core Unit of Study'. For anyone who has actually studied or is studying Medical Physics, are there actual Majors (which I understand to be at least 24 credit points) or do you just study a series of senior units and graduate with a degree without any Major?

A

adamsaclown

Bob.J said:
as many majors as you want dude, you can OVERLOAD. Some do triple majors too.
But don't you have to stay within the maximum credit point limit? I.e. 144CP for a 3 year degree? Sure you can do extra subjects per semester, but I think that means you'd have to do less subjects later on to stay under the limit while still satisfying all the course criteria.

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
I thought that you need AT LEAST 144 credit point to finish the degree.
Are you saying that you have to do exactly 144 cp (no more and no less)?
And No, I am not planning to do more than 48 credit points in the first year, but are not sure how many majors for Medical Science I will do in the final year, if I do end up doing this course, if they indeed have terminology of 'MAJOR' for that degree. As for as I know, you just study senior core units in USYD Medical Science. Am I right?

A

adamsaclown

this is what it says in the 2005 handbook:

"once the award course requirements of 144 credit points have been satisfied a student may not enrol in additional units of study without first obtaining the permission of the Dean"

i guess that means they'll allow you to do more if you havent done the units you need to get a major (because you might have done too many different units before) - but i'm not sure they'd let you just for the sake of getting more majors.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)