Majors/Minors (1 Viewer)

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
Is it possible to major/minor outside your degree? For example, I am undertaking a Bachelor of Arts/Laws this year and I have a vested interested in not only International Relations, but also Psychology--the latter happens to be located in the Science faculty. Would it be possible to major/minor in International Relations and Psychology?

Other interests in Arts would probably include Philosophy, Political Science, History.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
no, you can't. you can only major in subjects in your own degree.

let's say i'm doing a bachelor of law and wanted to major in physics without doing a B Sc. to major in physics, i have to cover all the subjects to get a physics major, AND all the subject/units of the science degree. which is impossible to do in the recommended time frame (3 years), hence a double degree takes 4 years.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Actually yes you can major in a subject that is outside your degree, particularly in circumstances where you are doing a single degree where double majors are the norm. It's probably more difficult to do this in a double degree though.

Psychology is often offered both as an arts faculty and sicence faculty major though. It may be different at your uni.

Schmeag

HSC
N/A
It's different, I think. Psychology isn't listed under the Arts majors. However, I may just do postgraduate psychology instead. I know that at least Monash, Melbourne and Deakin all have Psycholgy offered by both the Arts and Science faculty, yet it is owned by the Medical faculty (in the case of UniMelb and Monash).

Thanks for the responses though. :)

ArtOfLosing

HSC
You can take subjects from outside your degree though - there's no reason why you can't do a psych course in your arts degree. or if you're crazy about maths you can take some units from that or whatever you want...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)