Man (1 Viewer)

lengstar

HSC
what about mentally? what separates a child or teen from a man.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Asquithian said:
Im not calling you superficial Mr Minai...but at some level it does become silly...i know everyone wants to look good...but caring SO MUCH about your own appearance is a bit of a worry.

The aim for a guy would be to look good. Guys have imperfections if guys had no imperfections we would be beautiful...what guy wants to look beautiful?

If i ever found myself spending too much time on appearance i would ask myself to get overmyself and to stop conpensating for some other lacking area by covering up any major imperfections i may have.

I think fit, healthy and confident are more important that what you wear...and i certainly dont want to end up like patric bateman from American Psycho.
How much is "SO MUCH"? what level does it become silly? Yes of course it does becomes silly if you have you're own beauty studio salon or whatever. Also, fit healthy and confident, of course thats more important, but I think confidence and health can show through your appearance..myself, I wouldnt feel confident or healthy at all if I looked like a slob that just got out of bed.

And whoever said looking good was covering up imperfections? Thats what girls do, not guys - do you hear many guys using face masks, mascara or plucking their eyebrows?

What guy wants to look beautiful? Me.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i think u look good minai.. ;)

its ok .. im straight .. more or less

yer lookin good is important.. knowin u dun smell/look lik a hangover is normally good.. it make's u more confident cos ure at ure peak..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
nothing wrong with looking hungover :p besides its uni, what are we trying to do? its just like the fashion in high school with uniforms and people finding the best way to stand out, like WTF, please theres looking decent and then theres just being a metro.

neeja

Marco Polo meows you!
HSC
lengstar said:
what about mentally? what separates a child or teen from a man.
ah mentally.

i must say that this is the one criteria i wouldve enjoyed analysing the most. i used to think i was smart. smarter than alot of the population that is. which was mostly true, but now that ive reached university. i realise that im not all that. so maybe maturity is a sort of mental disposition thats not quite a superiority complex, not quite an inferiority complex. but along with this disposition there has to be certain levels of other attitutinal and thought driven qualities. i often find myself going "how come i didnt notice that before?" or "how come i didnt think of that before?" and from moments such as this i like to think i have matured from a boy to a man. however there is no certain line i am going to draw, i still find acting immature alot of fun and do so on a regular basis.

so basically i think this rant is saying that being a man is in the mind and not the matter.

and lengstar, if you started this thread because you were worried that you werent a man yet, dont worry, wait till you are 20-25 and if you arent a man by then, then be worried.

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
sry asqy but for once i disagree with what u said.

i really do not find anyhting wrong with taking 15mins or 30mins or whatever to look good...when i go out, i dont dress up in my sunday best, but im not going to go out in trackies and a singlet, ill put a pair of jeans and a good t-shirt, the idea is not to have people looking at you wherever u go, but for the people who do look at you to see that your not a slob. as for the patrick bateman quote, thats going a little to far, but i admit that i use different products in the shower...i have my usual shampoo, but i also have a moisturising body wash, an exfoliating face scrub and a pore cleanser. now thats not saying that i want to be fabio, but that i care about how i look and hwo i feel..t makes me feel clean and respectable...and if someone cares about waht they look like on the outside it doesnt mean that they are superficial and/or dont care how healthy they are. i try to look good but i also have a very healthy diet.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It takes more than 15 minutes to pick pants and a shirt ? Moisturising body wash? the other two i can accept, but body wash ? what happened to soap? sorry dude but that sounds a tad camp in my books

MoNNiE

HSC
hey don't knock it!
guys should take care of themselves..!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
theres a point in taking care of yourself, but when you start using superficial products for superficial things, then you are in fact superficially creating confidence.

true confidence doesnt come from materialistic or superficial things, it comes from being ok with yourself and accepting that fact, of course thats not to say be a slob and accept that, of course you should actively try and better yourself, but to say that clothes, facial washes, body moisturisers and god knows what else are part of this process of "taking care of yourself" is just ridiculous

Generator

HSC
N/A
Looking good... I think of trying, at times, but then I realise that it will count for little, so I just leave it at wearing clothes that have been ironed and the standard cleaning regime. I do need a haircut and I should shave more often (but that would involve ripping my face to shreds)... But eh, I am Generator the Westie, afterall. I have an image to maintain :p.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
thats another factor i think, socio-demographics

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
Asquithian said:
I was making a point about self obsession and how we are obsessed with how we look and how sadly it makes us feel better about ourselves. We are chasing this perfectness of appearence what the heck for...the perfect, house, home, car... its all false akin to the 'American Dream' ... A facade we present that is all false.

What is the link between looking good and feeling good? Looking good is for other people...if you walked around in a world without mirrors you would never know what you looked liked...i can suggest that looking good is to impress other people... as a result become impressed by your appearance you feel better because you are accepted. Its a perr pressure mentality.

Some of my uni friends might turn up to class wearing trackies a t shirt...no make up...etc...i dont think OMG she is such a slob...or she obviously cares zero about herself. To me she looks fine...she is confident...she doesnt care because looking and posing in class isnt important...(it also doesnt hurt that shes good looking anyways)

You can be clean and respectable without a number of things that you mentioned above. Self obsession at such at certain levels isnt good. If you are spending more then 15 mins to 30 mins on yourself and how you look (rather than on more important self improvment) then you have a problem...(im talking about day to day not parties or formals)
but i want to be pretty!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
cos asqy is asian and the sign says SALE!!! and is reacting to the asian instinct of buying anything on sale :p

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
speaking in third person is always the first sign of insanity asqy ;)

Frank251

Apparently being metrosexual is no longer the happening thing. Remember how it was cool for a while. Its now the "new lad", which is all about getting back to masculinity and away from the whole metrosexual thing.

someone is a bit bitter and cynical..
asquithian, not speaking for myself, but some less good looking people would certainly want to use accessories or dress up to look better.

lengstar, your interesting topic has been fucked.. but-- i generally agree with the person who said it was a mental level you reach, rather than physical. you don't need to be serious or mature all the time, [and acting mature is very different from being mature] . being a man you should have a decent understanding of life, gone through life experiences, and be able to handle your emotions well. it may also involve not getting into petty arguments and getting carried away and passionate about a pointless subject not related to the original thread. and other such behaviour. and also must always take responsibility for ones actions

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm why do you have to dress up "for someone".. why can't you just do it so you feel nice about yourself? i don't see how if i take time to look nice that makes me an ignorant superficial person. rather, it makes you kind of presumptuous to think people only prettied themselves up to impress you.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
how has the topic been fucked may i ask? the question of what constitutes a man was brought up, and there was a discussion about the metrosexual and the role of aesthetics within determining a man.

i for one enjoyed the discussion, and it was that, no punches were pulled, and both sides were mature enough to get into a mere name calling match

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)