Marketing - job prospects (1 Viewer)

Chris.

HSC
Im doing a B Eco because i like economics and want a job in it. But it seems jobs are hard to land in this field so my 2nd major is marketing.

Im just wondering what the job prospects for marketing graduates are?
What types of companies do people regularly work for?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Marketing jobs are also very difficult to get jobs for. In order to get a graduate position, you will need high marks, lots of work experience, and extracurricular activities.

Jobs you could get at an entry level include brand management, marketing communications (client side), marketing research, sales and PR.

Some companies that have grad programs include: Loreal, Procter & Gamble, IBM, MS, Unilever, Shell, Coke, etc.

So basically the consumer-technological firms and the fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) companies.

Chris.

HSC
yeh even though my two majors are my top interests out of all the commerce majors, im just worried about finding a job. Just gotta try and get those marks.

and plus everytime ive searched for marketing topics its only you who has replied ....... : /

stazi

Nightman
HSC
lol there's not many people majoring in marketing discussing job prospects, which is where you have an advantage. this is because accounting, finance, etc prospects are very cut-and-dry.

With marks, you should be fine with a credit average, but go for a D average. Work experience and extracurricular stuff are by far the most important.

The reason marketing is hard to get into is because of the small number of jobs available. For example, P&G employ 2-4 people out of around 3,500 applicants

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
stazi said:
lol there's not many people majoring in marketing discussing job prospects, which is where you have an advantage. this is because accounting, finance, etc prospects are very cut-and-dry.

With marks, you should be fine with a credit average, but go for a D average. Work experience and extracurricular stuff are by far the most important.

The reason marketing is hard to get into is because of the small number of jobs available. For example, P&G employ 2-4 people out of around 3,500 applicants
what work experience and extracurricular activities do U have?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
A High Way Man said:
what work experience and extracurricular activities do U have?
My list is a bit excessive, so you wouldn't need as much, but this certainly increases your chances:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
lol i cannot believe you have to do that much to get a job

also its genes for jeans day btw

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh fuck :S thanks for picking up on that. And you don't have to do that much. I'm just aiming for a very hard-to-get position, for which you would basically need to be the top marketing graduate from Australia for the year.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
KING CAL said:
What position is that?
marketing director for adultshop.com.au

Chris.

HSC
holy fuck stazi..

well all i have so far is representing my school in a few sports and worked in a grocery store but thats it!
i'll join a society probably next semester..im interested in the red cross one

Monstar

HSC
Heres my opinion on marketing: wishy-washy stuff.

As for job prospects... i have a cousin who graduated with a economics and marketing major anddddddddddddd she left that field and is into media now.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Monstar said:
Heres my opinion on marketing: wishy-washy stuff.

As for job prospects... i have a cousin who graduated with a economics and marketing major anddddddddddddd she left that field and is into media now.
you're saying that after having done an introductory marketing subject only?

s.m.i.t.h

HSC
stazi said:
Marketing jobs are also very difficult to get jobs for. In order to get a graduate position, you will need high marks, lots of work experience, and extracurricular activities.

nah i dont agree with that

i got three grad offers in marketing and i only had a credit average and no extracurricular activities.

I did get into an internship program though.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
s.m.i.t.h said:
nah i dont agree with that

i got three grad offers in marketing and i only had a credit average and no extracurricular activities.

I did get into an internship program though.
exactly, you have pretty awesome experience. who was your internship program with. also where are you going to work as a grad? who were the offers from?

s.m.i.t.h

HSC
a bank and two FMCGS
i accepted one of the FMCGs cos i'd be guaranteed a brand manager position.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh nice! which FMCGs?

I completely fucked up the P&G problem solving test today :( looks like im waving goodbye to the internship. Pity, as I was certain that I would get a job if I could get an interview.

I may have to intern at ComBank.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
dw mate, i did the P&G problem solving test when i went for a finance position, there were alot of ppl going for different positions who were taking the test so i presume its the same one ... anyway, i though i was no chance, honestly, so have hope ...
Ended up getting an email telling me i'd "passed" the problem solving test, and next stage was 1 person interview (behaviourial), then panel interview (again behaviourial) ... then hopefully u will get a call with good news, unlike i did :)
very impressive resume btw, i'm sure you'll be up there, good luck!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
thanks for the words of encouragement. I don't have high hopes, though :( I mean, having to circle C for about 20 questions would probably have cost me the internship :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)