• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Marketing... (1 Viewer)

Tanster

HSC
Hi, ive been reading alot about marketing and marketing majors both in this forum and at uni websites, but i cant seem to grasp the actual CAREER prospects of having a foundation in marketing - they all say marketing can get you a JOB in any industry, etc. So, i have a few questions:

1. I know that marketing is an aspect of every industry and every industry offers marketing JOBS, but what i want to know, specifically, is: What are the CAREER prospects of being a marketer or having a marketing degree/foundation?
Im thinking medium to long term here...Also, if anyone actually has real life industry examples (not necessarily about yourself), that would greatly help, cause ive been seeing alot of "this is possible"/"potenitially you could do this"/etc, even though i have yet to see real examples.
2. I also wanted to know why everyone thinks marketing is "wishy washy" (whatever the hell that means) and if it really is "wishy washy" (could you first clarify exactly what that means, cause its kinda ambiguous - especially for a course-confused little high school graduate like myself :p)
3. What companies (if any) offer internships/vacational work/work experience/etc for marketing undergrads?
4. Finally, and this may relate to the 1st question, but what prospective salaries are their in marketing - like realistic salaries - and im asking this because yes everyone can say just do what you love and dont think about money, but the fact is money is important, and this may help a confused and undecided little student (namely myself) in choosing a major in commerce :)

Any info on any of these topics would really be helpful

Thanks in advance :wave:

(forgive the length of this post)

ahallam2

HSC
1. Not quite sure what you're asking here but some positions that are marketing related are Assistant brand manager, brand manager, sales. Medium to long term, you may go into a management role and keep working your way up to higher management positions.

2. Wishy washy just means that it doesnt give you many real technical skills and knowledge that will set you apart from someone who has never done marketing. Or thats how I see it. A lot of it is based on 'pop psychology'. How do we make people want to buy our product or service? If you like answering that question, you'll like marketing.

3. All the big brands. P&G, Unilever, Cadbury, Coke etc. Their websites will have grad program info.

4. Ok, I know this is a cliche, but you should do what you enjoy. In first year uni, try out different commerce subjects, then pick your major when you know what you like/are good at. Don't pick something because of the money. You will end up changing your major/degree/job for sure, and waste time and money in the process.

Another main point is that if you are good at your job, you will make decent money in most professions because you will be of high demand.
Good Luck!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
you will love me for this, but i'm developing a guide that basically defines what marketing is, and what jobs are available. keep an eye on this thread:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...-marketing-anymore/2.html?highlight=marketing

it should come up in the next few days

as for your questions, I will tackle those that I don't specifically address in the guide.

Tanster said:
1. I know that marketing is an aspect of every industry and every industry offers marketing JOBS, but what i want to know, specifically, is: What are the CAREER prospects of being a marketer or having a marketing degree/foundation?
Look for my guide soon.
2. I also wanted to know why everyone thinks marketing is "wishy washy" (whatever the hell that means) and if it really is "wishy washy" (could you first clarify exactly what that means, cause its kinda ambiguous - especially for a course-confused little high school graduate like myself :p)
People find it wishy-washy for two reasons:
1) it covers a lot of areas
2) it talks a lot about various approaches, but often doesn't give you a solution
I tackle this in my guide. The more you study marketing, the less wishy-washy it will get

3. What companies (if any) offer internships/vacational work/work experience/etc for marketing undergrads?
Shell, P&G, Unilever, British-American Tobacco, and more

4. Finally, and this may relate to the 1st question, but what prospective salaries are their in marketing - like realistic salaries - and im asking this because yes everyone can say just do what you love and dont think about money, but the fact is money is important, and this may help a confused and undecided little student (namely myself) in choosing a major in commerce :)
about $50k starting (+ signing bonus). when you hit brand manager (which should be about 3 years after graduation), you will be making around $65,000/year. 10 years after graduation I would expect to earn around the $100k mark for an average person.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)