Martial Arts/Body Training (1 Viewer)

Shikobe

HSC
Just train sprinting or something so you can run out of trouble LMFAO. Or have a numchuck with you at all times like bruce lee lOL, Oh that reminds me nobody has talked about Jeet Kune Do, the martial art form invented by bruce lee.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
I was actually going to rewrite my last post and put more emphasis on just that - the dojo vs mcdojo.

These days it often isn't about the martial arts you study, it's about where you study it.
I see we're both on the same page now!

It largely depends on where you study it. But to an extent, what you study isn't important. TO AN EXTENT.

Just train sprinting or something so you can run out of trouble LMFAO. Or have a numchuck with you at all times like bruce lee lOL, Oh that reminds me nobody has talked about Jeet Kune Do, the martial art form invented by bruce lee.
Jeet Kune Do is more of a Philosophy than a martial art. Jeet Kune Do, as in my sig, is "Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own".

You create your own personal way,your own jeet kune do, by using what works best for you.

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
essentially a more flashy krav maga

Guesss

HSC
To answer the OP. I do a mixed martial arts... we combine southern and northern martial arts so yu kinda train the best of both worlds if that makes sense.... we do stamina work, fighting techniques, improve flexibility, forms, techniques to get you out of modern street fighting situations... heaps of things.

My master trained in the shaolin temple :p

lol. PM me if yu want details.

[youtube]Of_JQTOsVMw[/youtube]
i loveee tekken . i got the latest one :)

Unfortunately there's no real martial art that's going to be an incredible asset in a street fight.

Because there's probably two likely situations you'll find yourself in if it comes to fighting...

a) the guy is bigger than you. And yeah people say size doesn't matter but really it does, in a brawl if the dude is a lot heavier than you and you take a punch it's not looking good no matter how much judo or bjj training you have.

b) the guy has friends with him, in which case you're pretty much fucked and best to just get out of there

disregarding if he has a knife etc.. So basically the only option where having martial arts training would come in very handy is if the would be attacker is alone and smaller than you.

imo train for the rush of getting into the ring and sparring/competing, not for personal protection.
that, or his cousins are coming... :uhhuh:

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
To answer the OP. I do a mixed martial arts... we combine southern and northern martial arts so yu kinda train the best of both worlds if that makes sense.... we do stamina work, fighting techniques, improve flexibility, forms, techniques to get you out of modern street fighting situations... heaps of things.

My master trained in the shaolin temple :p

lol. PM me if yu want details.

i loveee tekken . i got the latest one :)

that, or his cousins are coming... :uhhuh:
you do martial arts? pm me a pic bby I love chix who can beat me up.

Guesss

HSC
U actually just reminded me that little_cutie and i have been meaning to download a pic that we can post online...

abbeyroad

HSC
N/A
Against a single attacker: many martial arts can be somewhat effective.
Against multiple attackers: basically krav maga is where you want to be - where the aim is to eliminate danger and escape the situation- not control or win it.

If you are the sort of person who keeps his cool in threatening situations, learning katas and disciplined moves MAY WORK in the real world.

But for most people, when adrenaline kicks in and thoughts go to dust, you want to have learnt a martial art that MODIFIES YOUR INSTINCT.
-> this is best learnt in a training zone that works in real time - ie. if you do boxing and just do bag work and drills you are far less equipped than if your boxing has substantial amounts of sparring in it.
-> if you are learning defence moves and the "attacker" is told to attack only in a certain way (even at higher belts/ranks training level), leave that place.
I had done knife defence training and felt confident I could stop most untrained attackers - until I trained against a "free attacker" (person has a training knife and their only objective is to hit you/kill you by whatever means). The truth is, a lot of these martial arts give you a false sense of confidence after you 'successfully disable a knife attacker' 100 times in a kata.
A krav maga instructor will still run from a knife attack even though he has a fucking good chance of killing the person - a good chance is still a life/death gamble.

Most wrestling/judo is excellent as an addition but imo you really need to learn the basic strikes/guard defence/footwork/evasion as a priority. If you get knocked out from first punch, your unconscious mind isn't going to win a ground fight anytime soon.
completely agree. no matter how good you are, if you engaged in a prolonged knife fight you will get cut, and if the other guy is well trained and determined to kill you lol good luck, unless you're special forces and have spent a great deal of time learning how to kill with your knife you will not walk out of there.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
guesss...im guessing that you do hung gar or something of the sort?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
I did Tong Long Praying Mantis Kung Fu for around two to three years and I can highly recommend it (as long as you go with the school that has it's headquarters in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast - I know they spread to Sydney).

They teach in real-world context and for the pure pleasure of actually LEARNING a martial art. Be warned though, they can tend to be very, very tough when compared to other schools. (200+ pushups and running and strength/conditioning + stretches is warmup). They actually run conditioning exercises to lessen your fear and sense of impact pain.

I'm soon going to learn the art of Baguazhang (Bagua). It's all about evasive movement with counter attacking in a circular movement - the evasive part I think would be most applicable to real life situations).

Guesss

HSC
I did Tong Long Praying Mantis Kung Fu for around two to three years and I can highly recommend it (as long as you go with the school that has it's headquarters in Burleigh Heads on the Gold Coast - I know they spread to Sydney).

They teach in real-world context and for the pure pleasure of actually LEARNING a martial art. Be warned though, they can tend to be very, very tough when compared to other schools. (200+ pushups and running and strength/conditioning + stretches is warmup). They actually run conditioning exercises to lessen your fear and sense of impact pain.

I'm soon going to learn the art of Baguazhang (Bagua). It's all about evasive movement with counter attacking in a circular movement - the evasive part I think would be most applicable to real life situations).
We do a bit of mantis style... arent there 4-5 animal styles?

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
We do a bit of mantis style... arent there 4-5 animal styles?
Well, you've got the original five animals system; Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake and Dragon.

Then theres the Northern Styles that were created off the five animals principles; panther, praying mantis, horse, cobra, bull, wolf and others.

I see mantis as being one of the fastest, more rabid, vicious types.

mrsajmon23

The Szyja
HSC
lol... we do a combination of so many things, id have to look at the business card to check the actual names etc... but yeh.

What do yu do?
I did boxing for 3 years then moved onto Wing Chun Gung Fu.

Would highly recommend it.

I want to incorporate other Gung Fu styles with my Wing Chun, but currently im looking at Hapkido.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)