Martial Arts (1 Viewer)

Anti-Mathmite said:
I'm blue in Karate, and yellow in tae-kwon-do.. But I don't find them satisfying.

Every person is to themselves, so you may find something useful but someone else won't (the martial art finds the person, not the person finds the martial art)..

Are you into Attacking, defending, throwing, non-violence?

Judo's my next sport :cool:
i dont find judo to be practical in real life. if someones attacking u with a knife u should know how to defend urself. karate is the most general i think, it has everything, the attack, defend, throws weapons, kick , punch.

wat do u mean u dont find them satisfying, u dont enjoy it?

UGFighter

HSC
Forget karate, kung fu, TKD, hapkido, etc.

Take up one or some of the following: boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, wrestling, sambo, BJJ, submission grappling, sambo, Mixed Martial Arts.

A couple of months in one of them will do you better than 2 years in karate or whatever... met a bloke one night up the road from where I was working, on the ground on top of a guy he outweighed by 30kgs, unable to do any damage to the guy and unsure what to do... he's been training BJJ with us a couple of months now, got into a fight a month ago where he was on top of an aboriginal raining elbows down on the guy. Messed him up real good - of course, how bad you want to hurt someone is your choice and he could have easily given the guy a few stiff punches before getting up and walking away.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Military hand-to-hand... none of that bullshit nonsense. Personally, I'd box.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I'm green in TKD but havn't been active for years now. I found it unsatisfying for a couple of reasons: the focus on routines and the emphasis of high kicks. Reactions not routines make you capable of self defence. Kicking is powerful however it is rarely practical and certainly requires more flexibility than I can readily muster.

Martial Arts I would recommend:

Military hand-to-hand: Unfortunately there are lots of differing styles out there and not really many instructors so it's pretty much down to DIY with a book - or joining up.

Boxing: This has one of the broader applications as far as usefulness goes in kicking arse. Also it's good for hand-eye co-ordination as it has a higher focus on actual combat (and its simulation) that other martial arts. Oh and its good cardio.

Stick fighting: Unfortunately i forget the real name (I'll try and get back to you with it) however it involves training in fighting with a series of sticks (6", 3' and 6' from memory). The outcome being the ability to use any stick like object to devastating effect.

Bruce Lee: Again unfortunately no name, suffice to saythis is the style Bruce Lee invented. It's focus is on taking the best of evrything and kicking arse with it as opposed to creating a set defensive/offensive/punching/kicking/etc style. Also it does away to a large extent with the bs spiritualistic side of things.

Capoeira (probably spelt like this): It doesn't have the hugest application in fighting (until you go to Bazil and see a Capoeria contact fight...) however several things make up for this: it is great cardio, the musical accompaniment i nice, really builds upper body and core strength, will help you get laid (as it is a less macho, has a nice musical/dance side, developes muscles nicely and has a romantic background).

HSC
loquasagacious said:
Stick fighting: Unfortunately i forget the real name (I'll try and get back to you with it) however it involves training in fighting with a series of sticks (6", 3' and 6' from memory). The outcome being the ability to use any stick like object to devastating effect.

perhaps youre talking about kendo?

loquasagacious said:
Bruce Lee: Again unfortunately no name, suffice to saythis is the style Bruce Lee invented. It's focus is on taking the best of evrything and kicking arse with it as opposed to creating a set defensive/offensive/punching/kicking/etc style. Also it does away to a large extent with the bs spiritualistic side of things.

bruce lee actually created his own style: Jeet Kune Do [way of the intercepting fist]. quite interesting if you guys wanna read up on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeet_Kune_Do

loquasagacious said:
Capoeira (probably spelt like this): It doesn't have the hugest application in fighting (until you go to Bazil and see a Capoeria contact fight...) however several things make up for this: it is great cardio, the musical accompaniment i nice, really builds upper body and core strength, will help you get laid (as it is a less macho, has a nice musical/dance side, developes muscles nicely and has a romantic background).
quite true, capoeira is more for show than real attack/defence application.

UGFighter

HSC
loquasagacious, you're only as good as you're last training session.. I'm a blue belt in BJJ, but right now since I haven't really trained properly in 2 months I sure as hell ain't that good.. my timing, sensitivity, reflexes, combinations, strength and fitness just isn't there.

military combat, do you mean krav maga and what not? They're rubbish, don't bother with them.

stick fighting = escrima or arnis..

Bruce Lee = JKD.

Capoeira is just dancing like you said, there's very little fighting.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I am fully aware that I'm not a l33t TKD-er, my point in mentioning that was to give me a basis for my commenst on TKD.

I believe the stick fighting is escrima.

Yes Bruce Lee = JKD.

As I said I wasn't suggesting capoeira to kick arse but to get fit and get laid.

somborac

HSC
judo judo judo

whats good karate or boxing or TWD or any other kicking punching sport to street fighting. Everyone ends up in a wrastle. If u watch UFC you will see that it is always a person with Judo, BJJ skills that wins. So JUDO is the sport, i am doing it for 8 years and compete in it and such and can say that judo players are physically stronger the karate etc guys. and here is a clip/video for you which i personally really like. enjoy.

http://www.kusu.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~judo/library/pv300.asf

Chief2666

El Zorro
HSC
Judo is ok, I like the different takedowns and tosses, but for me I need something I little more fast paced, something like, oh I dunno, WUSHU!!, I mean seriously, why has nobody mentioned it yet?? It is like the martial art. Seriously if you havent checked it out yet, take a look.
Here is a promo
and there are tons more here W1F

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I use to do Jujitsu and kick boxing but found neither meeted my needs. My friend is a blackbelt in Hape Ki Do so he told me to take it up. He knows throws, sword combat, knife combat, hand to hand, kicking combat (without hands) and everything else. I'm 6 foot 4 inches and he's about 5" 8' and he kicks my arse everytime we practice.

somborac

HSC
how can u practice fighting in Hapkido or TWD, to me it seems simple...just block the thing coming to you...it might be harder then that in real life, i dont know, never practiced it. Cool video

karoooh

HSC
I used to do TKD - Was a Blue belt, 3rd dan. But I gave it up at the beginning of 2004 (Year 10) and I really regret it, because I miss it so much!

I really recommend it, any type of martial arts etc. Increases your flexibility, strength, agility and reflexes ALOT. Bonus is the FUN in meeting everyone and sparring with your other classmates!

That's it. All this talk is not doing anything for me right now - I'm joining up again! NOW!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)