• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Martin Place Hostage Situation (2 Viewers)

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
I hope the bombs are found soon
If the guy wasn't able to access an ISIS flag, what are the chances he could make a bomb? Seems like that specific demand is more aimed at scaring us into making us comply with his demands. That's just my guess though lol, defs not a terror expert.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
If the guy wasn't able to access an ISIS flag, what are the chances he could make a bomb? Seems like that specific demand is more aimed at scaring us into making us comply with his demands. That's just my guess though lol, defs not a terror expert.
My thoughts exactly!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
That is true, they're pretty good at scare tactics, but chances shouldn't be taken.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
The ABC has been among media contacted today by hostages under apparent instructions from the gunmen.

Nick Leys
@leysie
ABC can confirm it has been contacted a number of times by hostages
inside the #lindt cafe and we are cooperating with police. #sydneyseige
Dec. 15, 2014ReplyRetweetFavorite

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
WARNING

To repeat, this is a discussion on a hostage situation, not politics or religion. Flamming or racially-motivated hate posts will result in infractions/bans.
Would like to add that forum rules have not suddenly changed.

Moderate your own posts as per normal, so we don't have to.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Deputy Police Commissioner, Catherine Burn, is giving another press briefing. She said:
Quote I won’t clarify any operation tactics at the moment. It is really important to remember that this is ongoing, that we still have people who are being held. We still have a person that we are dealing with. So as soon as we are able to provide that information, we certainly will but the good news is that we do have five people who have come out of that building and that we are now dealing with.
We have got this situation contained to one area.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Walking around CBD now and it's a ghost town. Just about every store is closed.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
BLITZ what did the families of the people who are hostage tell the media?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
That is true, they're pretty good at scare tactics, but chances shouldn't be taken.
Absolutely, but people should know that just because police are unable to locate these bombs he supposedly has it doesn't mean that the bombs are still somewhere in the CBD.

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
I won’t clarify any operation tactics at the moment. It is really important to remember that this is ongoing, that we still have people who are being held. We still have a person that we are dealing with. So as soon as we are able to provide that information, we certainly will but the good news is that we do have five people who have come out of that building and that we are now dealing with.
Interesting to note Burn keeps referring to “a person” so it seems there is only one gunman, a detail that has not been emphatically confirmed today.

Burn says police have been in contact with the man throughout the day in various forms and were negotiating with him, though she would not reveal his demands. Multiple media outlets have been contacted by hostages as the gunman makes demands through them but police have asked the demands not be reported.

We have been in contact throughout the day in various forms and it’s an important part of our negotiation that we do not talk about some of the tactics or information that is being passed but this is a very, very well-tested system of negotiation that we use, it is world class and it might take a little bit of time but safety of those people inside is what is paramount.
Burn will not say how many hostages there are saying it is not “particularly useful”.

~
[Okay guys seems they know the amount of hostage victims now

Confound

HSC
How can they say "Police: If you had plans to come into the city, then you should go about your plans as usual" when there are apparently "2 more bombs in the city" ????

Someone explain, are they not treating these bomb threats seriously enough?

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
How can they say "Police: If you had plans to come into the city, then you should go about your plans as usual" when there are apparently "2 more bombs in the city" ????

Someone explain, are they not treating these bomb threats seriously enough?

Apperantly they've contained the threat to one area...

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
Chris Reason ✔ @ChrisReason7
Follow
From inside Martin Place newsroom, we've counted around 15 hostages - not 50 - mix of women, men, young, old - but no children.
6:23 PM - 15 Dec 2014

Follow
From inside Martin Place newsroom we can see gunman is rotating hostages, forcing them to stand against windows, sometimes 2 hours at a time

Follow
From inside the Martin Place newsroom - we can see food is being delivered to the hostages. Staff bringing it out from kitchen at back

BLIT2014

HSC
Uni Grad
UPDATE: "It's a sensitive negotiation, they'll take time, it could stretch into tomorrow" - @MarkWBurrows #9News

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)