• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Master of Finance - UNSW/USYD? (2 Viewers)

ND

HSC
Seems that everyone else understood him.

Why don't you look at the post that he quoted:

"I remember someone saying that the Sydney course is 1.5 years whilst the UNSW course is 1 year. Is this true?"

Get your grammar straight!
What does grammar have to do with anything? Do you know what grammar is?

pikachufkr

HSC
N/A
thanks for the feedback everyone. I have appreciated the quality of replies from most respondents.

I have actually decided to gain a little more work experience before I make any decisions on post graduate study. Perhaps the definitive choice will be a little easier in the future.

And tacky, please stop posting - you are owning yourself even more each time!

treason

HSC
pikachufkr said:
Take note that I'm doing the course because I LIKE finance. Not primarily because of career objectives. I'm doing it because I feel that the finance I learnt in undergrad was just too piss easy to be of any worth.
That's either the dumbest thing I've heard or you're one big fat liar. Any course you do is always about the career first. Why else do you bother paying $20,000 for a degree when you can get the same knowledge for $10.00 worth of library fines??? (Watch Good Will Hunting)

Better yet give me the $20,000 and I'll introduce you to my IB mentor who could probably teach you more about the industry than any course ever will.
For a $50.00 lunch, I'll share everything I know about breaking into the industry.

If you really like Finance that much, do a thesis. But if it's knowledge building, like I said, read a book!

Anything you learn at uni is always, always too piss easy to be of any worth. That's why you go to NY for 6 weeks at the start for global anlyst training (or London for some other banks).

phrred

HSC
tacky said:
I do have my facts straight

We were talking about how old the MFin was (approx. 3-4yrs old) and then some dude comes and out of nowhere says "UNSW Has a MCommerce which is 1.5 years as well"!?!?? - in that immediate context one would naturally assume that he is talking about how old the MCom is.

Get your grammar straight!
if u can speak english properly u wud realise 'UNSW Has a MCommerce which is 1.5 years as well' doesnt make grammatical sense if i was talkin about age of the course. I woulda said UNSW has a MComm which has been around for 1.5 yrs or is 1.5 years old

pikachufkr

HSC
N/A
treason: I did specify 'not primarily because of career objectives. The Masters (or any post grad qualification) is important as I hope to enter academia down the track. I haven't met any finance academics with only an undergrad degree(although I know there are some).

I don't think Wharton would want me teaching their students with receipts from my library borrowings backing me up.

ND

HSC
First time i've seen someone in finance wanting to work as an academic. (not that there's anything wrong with wanting to work in academia)

treason

HSC
pikachufkr said:
treason: I did specify 'not primarily because of career objectives. The Masters (or any post grad qualification) is important as I hope to enter academia down the track. I haven't met any finance academics with only an undergrad degree(although I know there are some).

I don't think Wharton would want me teaching their students with receipts from my library borrowings backing me up.
Then you'd be wanting to do a more theoretical Masters by Research. From what I've gathered, the courses you have been looking at are by coursework - they're completey different things (one you can do on HECs, the other you you pay an arm and leg for)

I'd be inclined to think that you reasearch to become an academic. Do coursework for industry.

Regardless, I wish you every success in whatever you choose to undertake.

SSaint

shoconomics
HSC
treason said:
(one you can do on HECs, the other you you pay an arm and leg for)

I'd be inclined to think that you reasearch to become an academic. Do coursework for industry.
which one can you do on HECS?

CrashOveride

HSC
lol i don't think you can do any post-grad on HECS, it's just for undergrad

Capitalist

HSC
Post-grad degrees have something similar to HECS I think, but it's called something else.

If you want to become an academic, then first-class honours + Ph.D is the way to go, though damn hard :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)