Mastering English = Possible? (1 Viewer)

SimonLee13

HSC
Finx said:
Hey, I had taken a break from this site for a while, but now I'm back for a query!

I've browsed several threads on this forum and found a common problem in some students - their problems with English.

I want to see if there is someone out there who is actually "mastering English". I'm talking about someone who scores near full marks in their essays, gets top marks in extenstion etc. If so, how do you do it?

OR, is English actually a 'masterable subject' at all?
Full marks given to an essay means you've fulfilled all the criteria, it does not make it a perfect essay. Going from that point, you can achieve full marks in the HSC English tasks, yet you still would not of "mastered English." You can always improve in English, which makes it unmasterable.

Btw Aerath, not everyone does maths at SBHS. Our total people in the grade is only 197 anyway.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Read sophisticated essays written by literary critics. Try to emulate their style of writing.

I didn't 'master' english, but I achieved a band 6! (Which I didn't think was 100% possible, given that HSC students of previous years seemed largely unable to achieve a band 6). Plus I'm a latino. So b6 = like 99/100 for me. :D

SimonLee13

HSC
Waito live.fast, getting 100/100 gets you tied 3rd? How does that work..

live.fast

HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
Waito live.fast, getting 100/100 gets you tied 3rd? How does that work..
The 100/100 is an aligned HSC mark. I'm pretty sure they base state-rankings around raw HSC marks. :) There are a number of threads about the difference between these, and it's pretty easy to look up!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
Read sophisticated essays written by literary critics. Try to emulate their style of writing.

I didn't 'master' english, but I achieved a band 6! (Which I didn't think was 100% possible, given that HSC students of previous years seemed largely unable to achieve a band 6). Plus I'm a latino. So b6 = like 99/100 for me. :D
Yeah, I agree with the part about reading up on some critical theorists.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
live.fast said:
Are those essays just in the State Library or something?

bored of sc

HSC
live.fast said:
The 100/100 is an aligned HSC mark. I'm pretty sure they base state-rankings around raw HSC marks. :) There are a number of threads about the difference between these, and it's pretty easy to look up!
They are so hard to understand though! :eek:

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
Are those essays just in the State Library or something?
Nope. We have some in our school library.

HSC
You should get a criteria sheet with every assessment. They mark you based on that. If you fill all the criteria in the Band 6 box, you get 100%.

My boyfriend does this - he is now the top of our year in English Advanced.

I, on the other hand, get repeatedly told to leave my current style of writing for university, because this is the HSC.

My creative writing marks are Band 6. My essays range from Band 4-Band 6.

Just learn to fill the top criteria box.

agua.fuego

HSC
scaredytiger said:
You should get a criteria sheet with every assessment. They mark you based on that. If you fill all the criteria in the Band 6 box, you get 100%.

My boyfriend does this - he is now the top of our year in English Advanced.

I, on the other hand, get repeatedly told to leave my current style of writing for university, because this is the HSC.

My creative writing marks are Band 6. My essays range from Band 4-Band 6.

Just learn to fill the top criteria box.
Em... damn! Why are you SO SMART?!

Pink Oni

HSC
I got 100% in a film study essay task (about 1-1.5 hrs time period) :D

It's about time I got something right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)