• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mate, your girlfriend was a bloke (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC

GARRICK Jacobson was in custody at Surry Hills police station when he apparently discovered his girlfriend used to be a man.

Within hours of being released on bail, he went to her apartment and started "belting the hell" out of her, Downing Centre Local Court heard yesterday.

The two police officers who allegedly revealed the information about his then partner's past are now charged with breaching privacy laws.

In a rare prosecution under the Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act, Constables Tyrone Stacey and Brendan Ritson have pleaded not guilty to unlawful disclosure of information.

The offence is punishable by up to two years' jail.

The court heard Jacobson, 26, was held in custody on September 24, 2006, after being arrested for suspected theft.

Stacey allegedly used the police computer system to access information about Jacobson's then girlfriend, Brigitte Fell, revealing her gender as male.

Ritson, who was looking over his colleague's shoulder, allegedly shouted to Jacobson: "You're r . . . ing a bloke", the court has heard.

After Jacobson denied it, he was allegedly shown paperwork indicating her gender and told: "See, it's a guy."

As the officers defended the case yesterday, Ms Fell gave evidence that the incident "ruined my life".

She told the court she was born a male, undergoing gender reassignment surgery about 12 years ago "in London, and it cost a fortune".

Complete strangers subsequently told her it was "the best sex change we've ever seen", she said.

But Ms Fell did not share the information about her surgery with Jacobson, her boyfriend of about two months, because "he was temperamental enough".

Police were aware of other domestic violence incidents involving the pair in the two days prior to the assault, the court heard.

Ms Fell said she woke in the early hours of September 25 to find Jacobson in her Surry Hills apartment, threatening to kill her.

"Your f . . .ing mates the cops told me you're a man - is it true?" he allegedly said.

Ms Fell said Jacobson then punched her repeatedly in the face.

"He was belting the hell out of me," she told the court.

She said she suffered concussion after falling over the balcony of her loft bedroom and woke up "covered in blood".

"My whole face was broken," she said.

Ms Fell spent several days in hospital after the attack, for which Jacobson is currently awaiting sentence in the District Court.

Ms Fell said she told only three or four of her "dearest friends" about her surgery but some police officers knew of it because she had sought their help after previous violent incidents.

The court heard that when Jacobson was brought back to the police station following the assault, he allegedly said he had gone to Ms Fell's apartment "to cut her hair off . . . she was a she-man".

The hearing continues today.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23166157-5001021,00.html

:lol: :lol:

Gosford

HSC
well its not woman bashing. (duh...it showed her gender as male)

its still assault but meh...If you are afraid of tellin him coz he is tempermental then advice: dont date him.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
Her arms look so muscular...sif he didnt notice something weird about her anyway :\

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Yeah I know, I took one look at the shoulders and they either screamed OLYMPIC SWIMMER or MALE.

Occam's razor :D

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Kwayera said:
Yeah I know, I took one look at the shoulders and they either screamed OLYMPIC SWIMMER or MALE.

Occam's razor :D
lol exactly

as if not realise something was up

i'd be interested to see "her" downstairs equipment...i was always under the impression that it'd look kinda fake/tacked on like a plasticine tail on a preschool sculpture...but obviously not.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
interesting question, should you tell somebody your dating if your a transsexual? do they have a RIGHT to know?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
townie said:
interesting question, should you tell somebody your dating if your a transsexual? do they have a RIGHT to know?
hm that's a good one

i guess in terms of keeping the relationship honest you should say something, coz it's kind of a big deal in some ways, if you didn't say something it would be like you're hiding a big chunk of your identity from your partner, not exactly healthy relationship material.

on the other hand i suppose you could make the argument that if you love each other it shouldn't matter...but i'm pretty sure even if i was madly in love that it would matter quite a lot to me to know something like that. even if i didn't care, i'd want to know.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
That's a quality ladyboy. Props to the surgeon.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Musk said:
stop posting
lol - you got banned.

Re topic: Weird. It always makes me uneasy when science fiction shows have gender bender characters on them, and that's also the feeling I get when reading that article.

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
townie said:
1- Yes
2- Of course!!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
that's an interesting question alex-

well, firstly it should be clear that any violence should not be condoned and if her claims were true then the assault would be a very serious offence indeed

to answer the original question, it's really tricky- yes the woman is entitled to her personal life and she might have withheld her history from her partner so she can get on with her "new" life...but on the other hand her actions caused her boyfriend to engage in actions which ostensibly in retrospect he felt were morally repulsive, so I'm inclined to argue that she should have either told him about her past, or not gotten into the relationship in the first place

any thoughts? opinions?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i'm more in the camp that, i think, ethically, you should tell a partner, but i dont think the partner has a "right" to know that information specifially, though they do have a right to a true and frank history i suppose

i suppose it comes down to, in say the case of the woman above, do you really believe that she has always been a woman, just in a mans body, if you do accept that, i dont think it should be an issue

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Eh not really, while I think it'd be definately a nice gesture for a transexual to let someone know (especially if they think with full knowledge they wouldn't go for them)... if the person doesn't investigate sufficiently then it's their bad luck, the tranny didn't force themselves onto them. It's like if a catholic girl went out and got picked up by some protestant, then later realised he wasn't a catholic so got pissed off at him.

The only reason I wouldn't say people should definately tell someone when they believe it would lead to them not being interested is because that would mean relationships should be 100% honest, which while an ideal we might all look up to... it's kinda a far fetched fantasy.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
so if i've understood you right, i guess what you're saying is that, it would be the ethical thing to do to tell the partner but not necessarily illegal to withhold that information? in which case, i would agree wholeheartedly.

just to throw the ball back in your court, the suggestion that there should be no issues if the "woman" was just a woman trapped in a man's body would be fine and dandy for someone who's more sexually liberal, so to speak, but how about for the majority of guys (i think i can be pretty confident in assuming this) who would be mortified/shocked/disgusted/angered to discover that he had been involved in a relationship with another person who was, biologically speaking, male?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
well we're all in a sorry state if we have to start "investigating" our prospective partners, whatever happened to relationships being based on mutual trust and respect?

and yes while realistically people aren't going to 100% honest in a relationship, doesn't the very fact that it's an "ideal" make it a principle worthy of being valued and sought after?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)