Materialism vs Idealism? (1 Viewer)

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
Materialism = The physical reality comes first and influences the ideology of human history
Idealism = The emergence of idea comes first and influences the physical condition of human history

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Materialism = The physical reality comes first and influences the ideology of human history
Idealism = The emergence of idea comes first and influences the physical condition of human history
Both? I think many times they compliment each other while other times they hold each other back. Ideas do significantly influence many things but so does physical reality and sometimes you gotta make a trade off between the two. I can think of many examples where this has been the case.

Cascade

HSC
These definitions are kinda misleading in a 'what is reality' sense (not quite sure what this human history thing is, sue me). Materialism asserts that everything is constituted by matter, including our mental states, consciousness, etc. Everything can be reduced to matter and physical processes. Idealism is a group of views that sort of say something else, not 'the opposite' per se, but that reality is not able to be separated from our mental states, that reality is mental, ideas + the mind are central parts of what reality is. I don't have a particular opinion either way, but I don't think everything can be reduced to physical matter, or at least we can't prove materialism to be 100% true and probably won't ever be able to.

Last edited:

[ ]

HSC
Uni Grad
These definitions are kinda misleading in a 'what is reality' sense (not quite sure what this human history thing is, sue me). Materialism asserts that everything is constituted by matter, including our mental states, consciousness, etc. Everything can be reduced to matter and physical processes. Idealism is a group of views that sort of say something else, not 'the opposite' per se, but that reality is not able to be separated from our mental states, that reality is mental, ideas + the mind are central parts of what reality is. I don't have a particular opinion either way, but I don't think everything can be reduced to physical matter, or at least we can't prove materialism to be 100% true and probably won't ever be able to.
The former means that unless there is a suitable physical condition, the role of ideology will not be influential as people do not think it is necessary for them to change. The latter means that without the existence of ideology, people will not change on how they engage with the physical condition (which includes activities such as labor or producing commodities).

Cascade

HSC
Can I ask where you got that definition from? Philosophically the definitions I gave above are the definitions of materialism and idealism.

EDIT: Oh wait you mean historical materialism... nvm nvm ignore me

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)