• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Math 1031 or math 1131 (1 Viewer)

sparkling_stars

HSC
Which course should I pick? Would one course be higher scaling/easier than the other? How are both courses differentiated because I heard from people that scaling occurs so would taking 1031 scale my marks down if I didn't perform relatively high in it? I did Maths ext 1 and 2 in HSC and scored in the 80s for both courses but not sure which course to pick :/

THANKSSS GUYS IN ADVANCE :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What degree program are you doing? Because one may require 1031, others may require 1131.

sparkling_stars

HSC
What degree program are you doing? Because one may require 1031, others may require 1131.
advanced science but i'm picking the ones that are the same as optom so i can do an internal transfer next year. Just a bit confused about which math course to pick

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I believe Optometry students need to do "proper" maths, so you should take MATH1131/41.

EDIT: Sorry, I just checked - you can take either. If you are good or passionate about maths, take MATH1131/41. Otherwise, 1031.

Last edited:

sparkling_stars

HSC
I believe Optometry students need to do "proper" maths, so you should take MATH1131/41.
alright thanks for your advice shadowdude! :D
but on a side note, there are many optom students also taking math 1031 so would choosing it decrease my chances of an internal transfer or would it really have to depend on my marks?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
alright thanks for your advice shadowdude! :D
but on a side note, there are many optom students also taking math 1031 so would choosing it decrease my chances of an internal transfer or would it really have to depend on my marks?
no problem

Also, I just found some other news I and maybe you were not aware of. There is no Internal Program Transfer into Optometry/Science:

http://www.handbook.unsw.edu.au/undergraduate/programs/2014/3952.html

An innovative feature of this program is its alternate entry mechanism. Students who do not achieve direct entry into the Optometry program may be eligible for a transfer position. Students wishing to apply for transfer into the BOptom / BSc (3952) program will be expected to have:

Not completed post-secondary studies prior to enrolment in the Bachelor of Science (3970) Vision Science study plan;
Completed Stage 1 of the Bachelor of Science (3970) or Bachelor of Advanced Science (3972) Vision Science study plan;
Completed the UMAT exam held in July during Stage 1 of their BSc program (or have a valid result from the previous year) and;
An ATAR or equivalent of at least 90. A lower entry index may be used for students from rural and regional locations.

Students meeting these requirements will be ranked using an algorithm that includes their ATAR or equivalent score, their WAM achieved at the end of Stage 1 of their BSc (3970 or 3972) Vision Science study plan and their UMAT result. As a guide, it is anticipated that you will need to have achieved a minimum WAM of 65 and a superior performance in VISN1101 Seeing the World: Perspectives from Vision Science, VISN1111 Geometrical and Physical Optics and VISN1221 Visual Optics. A superior performance would normally be indicated by a high credit or distinction grade.

sparkling_stars

HSC
"Students who do not achieve direct entry into the Optometry program may be eligible for a transfer position."

Isn't that the internal program transfer?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, but it's not under the same rules as "traditional" Internal Program Transfer. Optom./Sci has the special transfer requirements I've quoted.

sparkling_stars

HSC
what are the rules of a "traditional" Internal Program Transfer? Would it be similar to transferring from B Com to B Med in the following year?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

plutonium-238

HSC
Also if you plan to take MATH1031, there's no reason why you can't get 95+ if you've achieved band 6 in 2u or band 4 in 3u/4u maths. The maths is extremely straightforward and require negligible attention towards if you've excelled in maths during high school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)