Math 1A (1 Viewer)

asdf

HSC
Im just wondering, for those who did Math 1A with no ext 1 background, how did you find it? Difficult? Failing? Killing it? :p

And what about discrete math? I've been told it's alot harder than Math 1A! + i'm that in session 1 along with Math1A. :eek:

sunny

meh.
HSC
I did ext1, but math 1A is definately doable even if you have not done ext1 before as long as you keep up.

The majority of people find discrete maths quite difficult since its not conventional maths that we're used to. I did math 1A, discrete, higher physics (basically another maths subjects) and higher computing in session 1 last year.

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
i am doin maths 1a with no extension knowledge.. but it should be alright... *if u actually try*.. cuz some of the topics are already covered in 2unit hsc maths..
so gota spend a little more time on those that havent been covered

asdf

HSC
Sunny, those subjects are exactly the same as what im doing in session1.

About discrete math, is it the one about for example boolean algebra/truth tables n shit? ie similar to some of the stuff done in HSC SDD (h/ware topic).

lol, while im at it, how did you find higher physics?

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I'm doing B Science at the moment.

I have planned my subjects so that I have competed the prerequisites for the B Computer Science.

If I decide I like computer science after this first year, am I able to transfer to it and start straight to 2nd year?

I could of essentially picked computer science as my course as I made the UAI requirements but I didn't select it in case I'd find that I hated it and won't perform well. Thus i'd be stuck with it. so I picked B Science and basically doing computer science in it...

I hope I made the right choice...

I read the recommended knowledge for Maths 1A. they said combined mark of 100 for 2 and 3U maths.

Im got 101 ! :D

And discrete maths doesn't sound friendly, Laz told me it was "weird maths"

Last edited:

sunny

meh.
HSC
Originally posted by asdf
Sunny, those subjects are exactly the same as what im doing in session1.

About discrete math, is it the one about for example boolean algebra/truth tables n shit? ie similar to some of the stuff done in HSC SDD (h/ware topic).

lol, while im at it, how did you find higher physics?

Yes, but even at a higher level. Discrete is about proofs and logic - its weird cause its like nothing you've ever done before.

I found higher physics quite hard! The problem was that they based your higher physics entry on your HSC physics mark - which means they are using the new HSC. This is a problem because the new HSC is literacy based, and not problem solving like real (uni) physics - hence many who were there because they were good writers found themselves in a difficult position, not being able to solve the math based problems.

At the mid session exam, the higher physics average was something like 28%. It was so bad that the lecturer decided to change the pass criteria for physics so that people would be able to pass (because most would have already failed the course). Even our lecturer has blamed this on the focus of the new HSC. I ended up with 62 in higher physics. Considering those around me I felt quite lucky!

asdf

HSC
Originally posted by sunny

At the mid session exam, the higher physics average was something like 28%.
:eek: omg lol. Reminds me of year 11 physics. :D

I agree with HSC Physics being all about how good you write! :rolleyes:

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Discrete is lovely. Don't listen to all those people who told you it's stupid and weird... it's a beautiful, beautiful subject.

On that note, it IS pretty hard...

Ragey, you should be able to transfer provided there's places and you've got a decent WAM (weighted average mark.. you use it to find your GPA or whatever that thing's called). Talk to your faculty.

yoshi

Hey guys,
I did 2U maths for HSC (no extension 1 or 2) and I found Maths 1A challenging and Discrete Maths even more so. Saying that, I passed both (CR and PS) and I was a complete bludger and crammed like crazy for the class tests. So if you put effort in you'll probably be ok. It's just hard to keep on top of all your work in first session.

Good luck!

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I'll just weigh in my opinion on Math 1A and Discrete Maths ...

Although I did 4U Math for the HSC, none of your previos maths wor really is relevant to Discrete, or even large portions of Math 1A. I wouldn't worry about what level of Maths you did, as long as you work hard to grasp the concepts ....

And Discrete is the most intresting Maths topic i have ever done ...

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
yeah i'm doing Math 1A without 4unit background

*read: MATH1151:p math for acturial.... 1A

kouri

well w t f
HSC
what the... if discrete is 'hard'
then finite's..gonna suck eh...

*falls over*

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
I loved higher physics (uni) compared to HSC level, none of that memorising syllabus dot points rubbish (I was never good at waffling on with those long response questions in the HSC). At uni it's true physics with proper mathematical problem solving questions. Believe it or not I found 3U & 4U maths helped more for higher physics than HSC physics did! (goes to show how poor the HSC physics curriculum is)

If you've only done 2U maths in the HSC, you should be ok for maths 1A & 1B, provided you put in the "hard yards". A bridging course would most certainly help. If you've done extension maths, then maths 1A and 1B shouldn't be difficult. Uni maths is divided into Calculus & Algebra. Calculus is mostly about functions, limits, differentiation/integration, convergence, differential equations, taylor series etc. Algebra mostly is about complex no's, vectors, matrices, subspaces, statistics & probability etc. I personally found calculus easier since it was more similar to HSC maths.

I wasn't a fan of discrete maths though, especially at first since it was all foreign and weird stuff that you haven't seen before in the HSC (bar a few topics like induction). Once you get used to it though, it's not too bad (the real challenge is getting "used to it" before the exam! :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

yoshi

Originally posted by kouri
what the... if discrete is 'hard'
then finite's..gonna suck eh...

*falls over*
It's friggin hard man! I have to do it again this year... it's not like discrete where you have a class test every other week and you keep up to date by cramming for those. Finite has a tutorial every second week if you're lucky, and it's got complex topics. Pull your socks up for this subject :)

Bobaryn

Discrete Maths is 'pretty' easy :p
Lol nah its not, just remembering the Discrete lecturer Dr Du who used to say every question was pretty easy.

Yeah finite is ultra hard

sunny

meh.
HSC
"so this is very easy yeh? very easy..."

I never understood any of those he described easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)