Math Advanced Prediction/Thoughts (2 Viewers)

Leadmen4y

HSC
The main reason I suspect is that teachers are complaining that it takes too long to decipher what the question is getting the students to do and as such, they are put under pressure as a result of taking so long to see what the Q is asking.
true, that's where most of the difficulty came from

zbolland

HSC
The main reason I suspect is that teachers are complaining that it takes too long to decipher what the question is getting the students to do and as such, they are put under pressure as a result of taking so long to see what the Q is asking.
I think teachers also want students to be able to show off what they know, rather than being confronted with a bunch of english comprehension questions that limit their ability to do so. The paper was relatively okay imo, but for kids that were unfamiliar with the later topics (e.g. CDFs), they had probably learnt a whole year of content and could barely show off what they had learnt. Bit of a mess but scaling will compensate lol

hiiitsme

HSC
tbh idk why people r complaining, it was fairly reasonable imo I mean even if it was hard everyone's doing the same exam so it'd be compensated by scaling. the point of an exam is to differentiate students anyways
This exactly. It's not supposed to be easy anyway ffs

hiiitsme

HSC
I think teachers also want students to be able to show off what they know, rather than being confronted with a bunch of english comprehension questions that limit their ability to do so. The paper was relatively okay imo, but for kids that were unfamiliar with the later topics (e.g. CDFs), they had probably learnt a whole year of content and could barely show off what they had learnt. Bit of a mess but scaling will compensate lol
I mean interpreting questions and data is an outcome of the course and a skill we need anyway so english comprehension argument is just a bunch of circlejerk number geeks complaining about reading. Then the whole 'stats heavy' component shouldn't matter anyway because we had SOOOO much extra time to learn it. I mean if you can't teach yourself ONE concept then gl at uni.

Siwel

HSC
I mean interpreting questions and data is an outcome of the course and a skill we need anyway so english comprehension argument is just a bunch of circlejerk number geeks complaining about reading. Then the whole 'stats heavy' component shouldn't matter anyway because we had SOOOO much extra time to learn it. I mean if you can't teach yourself ONE concept then gl at uni.
except for the fact that advanced maths is meant to be a calculus course...

Greninja340

HSC
except for the fact that advanced maths is meant to be a calculus course...
you do need calculus for CDF/PDFs + there was a decent amount of calculus in that paper as well, except in this paper it was more applied.

Siwel

HSC
you do need calculus for CDF/PDFs + there was a decent amount of calculus in that paper as well, except in this paper it was more applied.
from what ive been told quite normal questions assessed every year were just not there (that of calc questions) i just dont think nesa wants adv maths to be a calculus based course anymore

kjnyng

HSC
do u guys reckon I would get a mark for the last question for only writing the sum of xp(x) ?

hiiitsme

HSC
btw can anyone estimate what the raw marks will correlate to this year

Leadmen4y

HSC
btw can anyone estimate what the raw marks will correlate to this year
maybe similar to 2013? idk if there's something similar to the uac report we have nowadays but if u could find one it should theoretically be similar

dannyo1

HSC
Where do we reckon the band 2 cutoff for this year would be? Would have to be incredibly low I'd imagine, the band descriptor is " Demonstrates limited knowledge and skills appropriate to the course. Solves simple familiar problems with limited accuracy. Uses some mathematical language, notation, diagrams and graphs." - I know a lot of people were leaving stuff blank in the exam, even some of the better maths kids at my school were stumped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)