Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Calculus

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

Trajan

HSC
Forbidden. said:
Algebra > Calculus

The algebra lecturer delivers a more efficient and simple lecture than the other one.

Not going to go for B Science (Mathematics) anytime now.

ummm are you in first year dude?

math1151 is where it's at...Actuarial Studies ftw, son.

but no, calculus > algebra...but i'm basing this on last year.

Last edited:

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Depends on the lecturer, Ive got Bose for Algebra and I cant remember my calculus dudes name.

For algebra the Bose goes very fast when doing example questions and maybe 80% of the class cant follow cause he takes werid shortcuts when he does a question.
He is good though.

I like my calculus teacher and so i like calculus more, He told us an interesting story about Newton and Leibnick (cant remember his exact name).
Made me think of Newton in a different way

(Like what HSC physics made me think about thomas edison)

D.Buff

Understated.
HSC
N/A
Omium said:
Depends on the lecturer, Ive got Bose for Algebra and I cant remember my calculus dudes name.
Taggart.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Trajan said:
ummm are you in first year dude?

math1151 is where it's at...Actuarial Studies ftw, son.

but no, calculus > algebra...but i'm basing this on last year.
I only see pro Commerce students do MATH1151 and I'm an Engineering student not a Commerce student and MATH1151 isn't listed as a prescribed course for me.

Pahor is a very good algebra lecturer I hope he is my new lecturer for next semester in MATH1231.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I like 1131 Algebra way more than Calculus.

Omium said:

For algebra the Bose goes very fast when doing example questions and maybe 80% of the class cant follow cause he takes werid shortcuts when he does a question.
He is good though.

I like my calculus teacher and so i like calculus more, He told us an interesting story about Newton and Leibnick (cant remember his exact name).
Made me think of Newton in a different way

(Like what HSC physics made me think about thomas edison)
Bose is so cool, he is just so funny, and you've gotta love his accent. I actually don't think he go's to fast, yeah sure sometimes I don't understand it the first time, but when i got to the tut it all becomes clear. His lectures are always enjoying.

Taggart on the other hand, yeah sure the story was good, but I always seem to fall asleep in his lectures. It not the lecturer, its just that I don't really (but should) appreciate calculus as much as algebra. I'm also finding calculus much harder. (Although that's not to say algebra is easy, because its hard too.)

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
I dont think Pahor is having any math1231 lectures.

STx

Boom Bap
HSC
Is Peter Brown still doing 1141 Algebra, he was the best from last year and many people had him for 1231 as well afterwards.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
me121 said:
I like 1131 Algebra way more than Calculus.

Bose is so cool, he is just so funny, and you've gotta love his accent. I actually don't think he go's to fast, yeah sure sometimes I don't understand it the first time, but when i got to the tut it all becomes clear. His lectures are always enjoying.

Taggart on the other hand, yeah sure the story was good, but I always seem to fall asleep in his lectures. It not the lecturer, its just that I don't really (but should) appreciate calculus as much as algebra. I'm also finding calculus much harder. (Although that's not to say algebra is easy, because its hard too.)
A second year said our tutor seems to be explaining everything to himself rather than us and it seems we're just listening in.
Plus his handwriting has legibility issues.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
A second year said our tutor seems to be explaining everything to himself rather than us and it seems we're just listening in.
Plus his handwriting has legibility issues.
Man, your lucky you got average tutors.
One of my tutors is so "shy" he barely speaks, doesnt engage the class and just writes on the board.

My calculus tutor keeps getting questions wrong, on the plus side, she never stops talking and is quite funny..

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Omium said:
Man, your lucky you got average tutors.
One of my tutors is so "shy" he barely speaks, doesnt engage the class and just writes on the board.

My calculus tutor keeps getting questions wrong, on the plus side, she never stops talking and is quite funny..
Lol I think that's kind of like my algebra tutor.

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Forbidden. said:
hahahahaha i bet he/she isnt a student tutor but a cranky professor.
Student tutor?
How do you do that?
Does that mean that if you get good marks (HD) in a subject you can become a tutor for that?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
i guess so..apparently they get like 100 bucks an hour tutoring a class
If that's true then that's way better than my friend who is now tutoring first year Maths at UTS for about $25 an hour (same pay as tutors in ENGG1811) and he got a credit in Maths last year.

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
darkwolfzx said:
i guess so..apparently they get like 100 bucks an hour tutoring a class
its actually about $30 per hour for most tutors.

(obviously some of the tutors lecture as well, and so they would earn a lot more).

so far the best lecturers/tutors i have come across are Peter Brown, Milan Pahor, Chris Tisdell and Daniel Chan. these guys are brilliant, so feel lucky if you have them and make the most of it (ie by showing up to class)

good luck for the exams and session 2!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
ianc said:
its actually about $30 per hour for most tutors.

(obviously some of the tutors lecture as well, and so they would earn a lot more).

so far the best lecturers/tutors i have come across are Peter Brown, Milan Pahor, Chris Tisdell and Daniel Chan. these guys are brilliant, so feel lucky if you have them and make the most of it (ie by showing up to class)

good luck for the exams and session 2!
I've only come across Pahor as a really good one, my algebra tutor is ok.
But he isn't going to lecture MATH1231, he's going on holidays, damnnn.
But he will return for us engineers for MATH2019 (Engineering Mathematics 2E).

karentao77

HSC
does anyone have the chapter 8 lecture notes by Taggart? I've printed the notes, but I need the writing he did in class.
My calculus lecturer Peter Blennerhasset is the worst lecturer ever......:confused:

Psychokiller

Banned
HSC
Milan Pahor is an amazing lecturer. He .. imbues.. a certain rigour in his wording and expression that is reflective of the mathematics itself! Beautiful

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
LOL someone should post a new 'Milan Pahor' appreciation thread.
But I'm here to post something;

URGENT:

Chapter 4

Can you find the derivative for (x2+1)ln√(x3+1) ?
Well it's not xln(x3+1) + 3x2(x2+1)/2(x3+1)5 as the solution claims, it's supposed to be:

xln(x3+1) + 3x2(x2+1)/2(x3+1), there is no power of 5 anywhere! Even Maple 11 says so.

Also, there simply isn't enough information to solve Question 16 b).
Where is the radius?
Try looking at the solutions at the back, there is none for Question 16!

Chapter 8

In the answer for Question 1 iv) where you find the Riemann sum for x3 it says iv) is not Riemann integrable, it IS Riemann integrable, the answer is:
1/4
The answer is referring to iv) when it should be v), a piecewise defined function which is definitely NOT Riemann integrable.

Last edited:

joshuaali

HSC
Also, there simply isn't enough information to solve Question 16 b).
Where is the radius?
Try looking at the solutions at the back, there is none for Question 16!
You're meant to find the radius first, then the volume. The answer is around 1241 cm³. I'll let you try it on your own first.

In the answer for Question 1 iv) where you find the Riemann sum for x3 it says iv) is not Riemann integrable, it IS Riemann integrable, the answer is:

The answer is referring to iv) when it should be v), a piecewise defined function which is definitely NOT Riemann integrable.
Yep.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)