MATH1231 or MATH1241 for 2nd Semester first year? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm a first year doing Civil Engineering with Architecture and am currently stuck choosing between these two subjects. I did MATH1141 this semester and found it ok, Algebra was easy but I find calculus a little more difficult (and some of the stuff seems very pointless). For my current results I got 7/10 in the first calculus test, 4/10 in the second (I literally had no time to study, I had an orthodontists appointment in Newcastle in the morning and only just made it back in time due to the appointment being delayed by an hour and trackwork, very stressful), and 10/10 in the first algebra test. I've done extremely well in all the online tests (not an achievement, haha). I think my main problem with maths is that my one Architecture subject (BENV1080, would not wish it on my worst enemy) is all assingments which are incredibly tedious and time consuming, they take up 90% of my time and cause me to fall behind on phys and math.

I think I would do much better in math if I just managed my time better and didn't fall behind, which I'm planning to get on top of next semester. It's not like I can't understand it or anything.

Is MATH1241 harder than MATH1141? I've heard that the finals for 1141 are all H and X level questions, is it basically that for 1241?

What would you reccommend I do? Is there any benefit to doing the harder version, like better lecturers/tutors?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Aha, I thought MATH1141 Calculus was pointless and then they pretty much used every "pointless" theorem in Second Year to build on stuff.

Anyway, I thought MATH1241 was easier than MATH1141 simply because MATH1141 introduces a lot more new stuff and MATH1241 doesn't do it all that much. Finals for 1141 have one common question, and then... three other questions of which I'd say some are H and X level questions.

So I think you should do some introspection and ask yourself if you're capable or have the time to do Higher maths.

TheStallion

HSC
Definitely agreed with the above, I found the 1B course to be much easier than the 1A course. I can't really advise on 1231 vs 1241 though, got no idea what path you should take. If in doubt start in 1241, then if you find it too hard, drop down.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)