Math1901 (1 Viewer)

MyLuv

Did u guys do the assignment?What you got for 1b?-Its impossible to find the equation so I did tracing and got a Heart o_O...???
Btw,this s the question:
a/ sketch lz-1l=1
b/ sketch w=z^2

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by MyLuv
Did u guys do the assignment?What you got for 1b?-Its impossible to find the equation so I did tracing and got a Heart o_O...???
Btw,this s the question:
a/ sketch lz-1l=1
b/ sketch w=z^2
a is obviously easy- just ya typical 4u maths question: its a circle with equation (x-1)<sup>2</sup> + y<sup>2</sup> = 1

as with b- i got a semi circle with diameter -4 and 4.

MyLuv

Re: Re: Math1901

Originally posted by freaking_out

as with b- i got a semi circle with diameter -4 and 4.
u mean a circle with x-intercep +/- 4 and center O(0;0)?
Its not right coz it didnt cover the case where lzl<2(hence has mostly invalid pts)
If u shaded the thing then u ll have too many extra pts coz for any modulus of z theres only fixed 1 Arg(z).

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
u mean a circle with x-intercep +/- 4 and center O(0;0)?
Its not right coz it didnt cover the case where lzl<2(hence has mostly invalid pts)
If u shaded the thing then u ll have too many extra pts coz for any modulus of z theres only fixed 1 Arg(z).
hmm...yeah, i get what u mean, so i guess, i'll have to start tracing then. :(

Saul

*ss
HSC
hey guys, im feeling really crap here, but can somebody (slowly) explain 1, b)?

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
i have a process for doing it, but the complications are just too insane to consider.
if you let z = x + yi, square that,
w= (x^2 - y^2) + (2xy)i
then from the cartesian equation of the curve in a, get y in terms of x, so you can get w solely in terms of x.
then you have an Re(z) and an Im(z), ie an X and a Y, and you can eliminate x from that to get a relationship between X and Y. but to actually do that is ridiculously difficult.

ie; suggestions as to a simpler, achievable method would be appreciated :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
yeah, i just tried for a whole hour to find the equation using z=rcis(theta) and cartesian way, and its ridicoulously difficult as pointed out above...i mean we don't know abt. the "love heart" function do we?? :D

so i guess i'm just gonna have to trace it. :eek:

Saul

*ss
HSC
i dig what you're saying, i just get really confused with the interchanging of X and x etc, ie, at what point it's mathematically viable. any simple explanations people?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
You only have to sketch the locus, so you can get get the general shape, and then join up dots. Two things make this easier.

1. When you square a complex number, square its modulus and double its argument.

2. The circle |z - 1| = 1 is symmetric across the real axis, and so is w, so you only have to figure out the part when Im(z) => 0, then reflect the answer across the real axis.

Start with the easy points. z = 0 transforms to w = 0, and z = 2 transforms to w = 4. These are the only point on the real axis.

Now, what about the max point, z = 1 + i. Well, |z| = sqrt(2), arg z = pi / 4, so w = [sqrt(2)]<sup>2</sup> * e<sup>i*2*pi/4</sup> = 2i - the intercept on the imaginary axis.

Clearly, for the top half, arg z varies from 0 to pi /2 - that is 0 <= arg z < pi / 2.

It follows that 0 <= arg w < pi

Near z = 2, as you travel along the circle, the argument is slowly increasing, so the argument of w = z<sup>2</sup> is only slowly increasing. Thus, w is nearly vertical near w = 4.

Near z = 0, as you travel along the circle in towards the origin, the argument is changing rapidly, so the arg w is approaching pi rapidly - thus, the curve approaches w = 0 from the negative direction with a horizontal gradient.

Testing values of z slightly greater than z = 1 + i will show that Im(w) can be > 2, and thus there is a stationary point somewhere with Re(w) > 0. There must also be a point with a vertical tangent somewhere with Re(w) < 0.

Thus, the curve is sort of a heart shape on its side, except that the 'bottom' is flat, not V shaped.

Last edited:

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
wow that was really useful cm, thanks

although maybe edit the part (typo?) where |1+i| = 1

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by walla
wow that was really useful cm, thanks

although maybe edit the part (typo?) where |1+i| = 1
Done. I wasn't thinking clearly, was I? :) (I was thinking that for z = 1 + i, |z - 1| = 1, but of course, that doesn't mean |z| = 1. Oops... anyway, fixed now.)

Saul

*ss
HSC
anybody give me a hand with how to do question 3?

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Saul
anybody give me a hand with how to do question 3?
well with part a, once u proved the case for real axis, then any "line" is just a rotation of the real axis situation- i.e u just need to multiply by cis@.

as with b- know that 1/z= cis(-@)...u should b able to do it from here...other wise its just too easy. :p

MyLuv

Originally posted by CM_Tutor

Near z = 2, as you travel along the circle, the argument is slowly increasing, so the argument of w = z<sup>2</sup> is only slowly increasing. Thus, w is nearly vertical near w = 4.
Err...Arg(w) still increase faster than Arg(z).Can we use limit of lzl since z can be as close to z=2 as we want?
Btw,do we need to write all these things or just sketch it?
Thx.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Err...Arg(w) still increase faster than Arg(z).Can we use limit of lzl since z can be as close to z=2 as we want?
Btw,do we need to write all these things or just sketch it?
Thx.
na, u just need to sketch it showing essential features. :)

Saul

*ss
HSC
what features would we classify as essential?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)