Mathematics Adv Textbook Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
I'm starting year 11 next year, and the textbook my school prescribed for preliminary Advanced Math 2018 is Maths in Focus (which I've heard from many is absolutely horrible). Are there any other textbooks I should use? Will they prepare me well enough?

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Fitzpatrick and Cambridge are usually the better choices

But obviously past papers are the best when preparing for exams

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad
MIF is good for the fundamentals but lacks harder questions, which is where cambridge can help you

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Let's say Maths in Focus offers you a gentle coverage of the syllabus. It does not go much into the whys and wherefores of the theory. That may well explain why it is one of the most widely adopted text for 2U Advanced. Books with more in-depth coverage would frighten the average Australian high school student. But hold on to your MIF, and when you are able to cope with it, you may venture into mathematically more demanding texts.

Remember the maths ability of those on Bored, is well above the school average.

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
Let's say Maths in Focus offers you a gentle coverage of the syllabus. It does not go much into the whys and wherefores of the theory. That may well explain why it is one of the most widely adopted text for 2U Advanced. Books with more in-depth coverage would frighten the average Australian high school student. But hold on to your MIF, and when you are able to cope with it, you may venture into mathematically more demanding texts.

Remember the maths ability of those on Bored, is well above the school average.
lol is your last sentence implying I'm below average just because I use Maths in focus?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
lol is your last sentence implying I'm below average just because I use Maths in focus?
I thought I was only providing a commentary on the MIF book. In this, you did not enter my mind at all. But if you wish to take it that way, and personally, then do so by all means! I have no idea whether you are average, above average or below average mathematically.

What I was trying to explain, in my last line, is the disdain for the MIF book held by many on Bored, as most of them want a more challenging book.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)