• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics Extension 2 EXPERIENCE! (2 Viewers)

jabz97

HSC
Hey BOSers,
I am currently in Year 11 and absolutely love maths, hence why I am doing Mathematics Extension One. It has been one of my best subjects since Year 7.
I am wondering whether I should pick Mathematics Extension 2 next year. It seems quite challenging and fun. However, I do not want to comprise my other subjects just to excel in MX2. All of my other subjects are quite intensive as well: Chemistry, Biology and English Advanced and need to be given time.

So, I would love some opinions on current MX2 students and their experiences and opinions about the subject. Is it very time-consuming? If so, how do you manage it? How do you balance your other subjects? And, any recommendations on how you would study for it?
Please let me know of any difficulties faced in the subject. It would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks
I attend granville boys high and am doing my hsc this yr. I am doing advanced english, physics, chemistry, engineering studies and MX2. I love maths and maths related subjects (hence my subject selection) I am currently going good in my assessment tasks for all subjects (even english, which i outright hate but nonetheless its part of the HSC) most of my time is spent on "studying" for MX2 (since math hw is study) and am averaging 80's my MX1 I find easy thx to MX2 and my other subjects i find really easy (since I am a quick auditory learner) i have to work hard to keep my english mark up.
I recommend doing MX2 to everyone who loves maths because you shouldn't do a subject purely because of scaling. Reason being, the only way your going to get good marks in MX2 is if you work for it, and the only thing that really should motivate you is your love for mathematics. Don't not do (double negative - in english and maths) MX2 because of your fear for other subjects. If thats the case, you can always drop it anytime, but you can't pick it up as easily as dropping. Test it out, and if you are thinking of doing any engineering degree in uni i would also recommend doing MX2. Reason being that HSC physics is more theoretical than mathematical, and first yr physics at uni (source being from bloggers online) is more mathematical. MX2 prepares you more for first yr physics at uni then HSC physics (so ppl have said online)
Bottom line is: if you love maths then pick MX2 and try it out, if it doesnt work for you you can easily drop it (just make sure you dont drop any other subject(s) before your certain of anything) you wont lose anything if you pick it and drop out. The best form of dedication is your love for maths, and always remember your teachers are more then willing to help out. If your still uncertain, ask your math teacher whether or not you will be able to do MX2 and they should help. Also, if your stuck your teachers should be able to help with school and non-school related issues.

iStudent

HSC
I do MX2 and I must say it is the MOST time consuming subject ever. It's not an exaggeration when they say it takes up 50% of your time (and just MX2 alone).
But obviously, people dedicate this much time because it's a hard subject and they want to do well in it. Personally, I do cambridge + terry lee + school work, so you can see how it takes up much time.
However, I'd like to add that I already went through much of the HSC course for most of my subs before year 12 by myself (because I figured I'd be stuck in terms of time constraints) so MX2 hasn't really affected my grades. (so I don't really balance because I don't need to xd). I'm actually still trying to figure out how everyone else does it though =/

kden

HSC
N/A
MX2 is great, topics are good and if you really work at it i don't think its actually that hard of a subject in the end. Maybe someone more experienced can back me up because I am still in year 12 but it seems to me clearly that the past papers are generally becoming easier overall (the pre 90s papers are v. hard).

IF you can go well in the subject then obviously the scaling lends it self towards a really good ATAR.

Also, i don't think it matters if you cannot go well in it straight away. Students who excelled in year 11 will probably start off in a good position, other students will take a few assessment tasks to shine. If you can become competitive in the subject by hopefully halfway through the course, then you will still have 1 assessment + trials to improve your internal assessment ranking, and then obviously you have your HSC final exam to finish it all off and end up with a good mark.

Of course, many people have done the course and found themselves in a situation where they don't and will not understand it (sometimes resolved with tutoring), and that isn't a good place to be. MX2 isn't easy, and you won't go well unless you are good or can v. quickly become good at math. A lot of mixed messages around the course but don't let it intimidate you, try and look at it objectively and decide will X amount of effort combined with my natural ability put me in a position where i can obtain a respectable mark. You don't want to be getting low marks in MX2, that doesn't help you in anyway (no scaling will not help if you are poor in the subject). But the good thing is you don't need to get extremely high raw marks in MX2 to end up going well.

Math (not just MX2) takes up about 40% of my time, the other 40% i use for phys. and chem. and then obviously a fifth of my time is spent on English (Advanced). I really don't think that MX2 will dominate your other subjects, especially considering the amount of time you have in holidays to accelerate in the sciences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)