• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics --> General ?? (1 Viewer)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
WTF? Aplus getting 'crap' marks? When did the world turn on its axis?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
I'd rather get crap marks for my whole life and then get good marks in Year 11 than get good marks my whole life and drop randomly in Year 11 :vcross:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
I'd rather get crap marks for my whole life and then get good marks in Year 11 than get good marks my whole life and drop randomly in Year 11 :vcross:
Yeah - then your parents don't expect 'much'.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
lyounamu said:
I didn't read the OP, I just read the post above mine so I assumed that the OP got something like 70. So I said that getting 70 is great. In Mathematics, I think 70 was probably my lowest. My lowest for MX1 was 30-40%. I am so grateful that I am not repeating that dreadful pattern.
Thats the trend a lot of people go through.
A lot of my friends accelerating 3U this year with me, (who are wayy better than me at maths) only got in the 30s as well... but you learn from your mistakes.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
I was somewhat in a similar state. My lowest mark in previous years was 70%, but this year in the first MX1 exam I received a mark around 30-40% :( . However, in the recent exam (not long ago), I managed mid-high 90's. However, my concern is that, I have never in my life, gotten a mark as pathetic as 30-40%. Seriously, from K to Year 10, I have never received such pathetic marks, but somehow in Year 11, when it's starting to count and be important, suddenly I get crap marks out of nowhere :burn:
Well, at least you learnt something and improved greatly on it, wasn't that a good lesson? I am still in a greatly elongated learning curve towards HSC. I learn something different everyday! And I hope that I will have learnt everything necessary by the time I do HSC.

To OP: I think your ranks are decent. Even if you drop down to General Mathematics, it does not necessarily mean that you will top it. If you drop it now, you might have missed a lot of contents that everyone in the class already covered. If you really wish to drop, give yourself another thought on that. Dropping down to General Mathematics will give you no term 3 holiday as you will need to make sure you cover all the Preliminary General Mathematics contents. By the way, my friend was like top 30/75 for Mathematics. Then he droppped to General, you know what his rank is? It's only about 10. He obviously didn't fit in that course very well. He would have been better off with Mathematics.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Lesson maybe. More of shock and panic with just little over a year remaining.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
To OP:

If I were in your shoes right now, I'd continue to stick and persevere with 2U Advanced Mathematics until the yearly exams begin. If you attain a mark between 80-100 like the-derivative said, then you should keep it and continue to work on it. But if you score <70, you should probably consider your options of either working on Mathematics Advanced more in comparison to the current subjects you're topping or dropping down to General Maths. Continue to look through others advice, and talk to your head maths teacher and subject co-ordinator.

Good luck.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
grundo said:
Okay so I am wondering whether I should move from Advanced to General Maths. This is only because I don't feel like I can realistically get very good marks in the subject, when compared to General. At the moment, I am coming 1st or 2nd in every subject except Maths, where I am coming roughly around the middle of the course of 54. I hate that because I'm a perfectionist and it's really annoying me. In the end, I think that if I move to General, I will be able to get into the top 10 fairly easily.
So really, what will be better in the long term for my UAI?
Also, is it too late to change courses now? Should I just wait til Yr 12?

As you can see, I am confused!! Any thoughts on what I should do...?
I'll address your second last sentence first: if you change, do it RIGHT AWAY! People who drop to general find that even though the course may be easy, TRYING TO CATCH UP ON A YEARS WORK IN YEAR 12, WITH OTHER ASSESSMENT, IS IMPOSSIBLE!

In advanced, coming halfway in the course is fairly good. I dropped to general from the same position because I was falling behind and by dropping I knew I could keep ahead and not have to spend 80% of my nights homework time trying to keep on par with maths. Now I can focus on other subjects and still do really well in maths.

On the other hand, heaps of other people who dropped down did it without the expectation of needing to work because "it's so much easier". It is, sure enough, but it's also DIFFERENT from advanced. You need to learn new things. That's why alot of people who drop down then don't do well in general, which scales so badly that it makes Chuck Norris go into the foetal position and cry. If you are in general, you need to get a band 6 to prevent scaling heaps badly. As a general guide, if you get over 95 in general maths, that will end up scaling to about the equivalent of an 85 in adv., but if you got 90 in general, that'd be about 70-75 in adv. I'd love to draw a graph about now, so much easier to explain... Moral of the story is that if you don't do really well in general it's better than advanced. But I mean REALLY well. The only marks you want to lose are with stupid mistakes, since the conent isn't too diffuclt and you have a formula sheet.

In reguards to Iyounomu syaing that you won't have a term 3 holiday, that's not true. For the first 3/4 of the prelim course you pretty much do year 9 advanced maths. But in your last term and then in year 12 you learn alot of different stuff. So basically you only need a quick refresher if you drop down now, whereas when you wait you have to do alot more. I assume the second exam which you haven't got your marks for was just before the holidays, so you should get it back right after. If you get that, and your mark is even within 25% of your first assessment mark, your still doing quite well. At this point I just refer you back to what I said about motivation and spending all your time trying to keep on par in Advanced.

I can give you advice, but really - it's your decision... what does your instinct tell you about how much you need to struggle [or not] to keep up those adv. marks?

Last edited:

Cerry

HSC
prichardson said:
That's why alot of people who drop down then don't do well in general, which scales so badly that it makes Chuck Norris go into the foetal position and cry.
Reading that made my day. Truly, it has brightened my extension-english-filled (and therefore crappy) day.

M@ster P

HSC
Keeping 2 unit maths opens alot of doors in terms of the courses you can do at uni because simply most courses need 2 unit maths, general maths doesn't cut it, so think about that.

Honestly year 11 general math is basically year 10 advanced math and maybe a little harder, so catching up won't be a problem. If i were you though i would keep 2 unit math and work harder because it scales well and it gives you more options in uni but If you can't see yourself putting that extra effort then drop it.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
M@ster P said:
Keeping 2 unit maths opens alot of doors in terms of the courses you can do at uni because simply most courses need 2 unit maths, general maths doesn't cut it, so think about that.

Honestly year 11 general math is basically year 10 advanced math and maybe a little harder, so catching up won't be a problem. If i were you though i would keep 2 unit math and work harder because it scales well and it gives you more options in uni but If you can't see yourself putting that extra effort then drop it.
If he were going into a course which required 2 unit in the future after dropping advanced maths, given that he obviously has an aptitude for it then a TAFE bridging course wouldn't be any problem. If I'm going to do an Engineering course at uni some time then I'll have to do the same.

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
Cerry said:
Reading that made my day. Truly, it has brightened my extension-english-filled (and therefore crappy) day.
The deed is somewhat returned by your picture, my geography teacher will have some difficulty overcoming my reason for not doing homework... I'll just say that it was evident I had been heeding the course when I refuse to waste paper.

catherinet

HSC
I am in exactly the same position as you.

I don't feel that i can achieve very well in Advanced, so i was considering dropping to General in year 12.

But my parents would kill me...

Also, through dropping Advanced maths when you have enough mathamatic ability to pass isn't a very good idea.

Honestly, it's like closing 2/3 of the doors leading to career pathways that you may like to persue one day.

make an informed decision.
no regrets!

:)

prichardson

Kim Jong-Il
HSC
catherinet said:
Honestly, it's like closing 2/3 of the doors leading to career pathways that you may like to persue one day.

make an informed decision.
...An informed decision would involve some level of research. If somebody failed to stumble upon the whole bridging course thing in the course of that research they wouldn't be in school anymore, they'd be on the dole.

Thus, no doors would be closed. Perhaps if you'd read the thread then you'd have picked up on that from a previous comment of mine. It's all about being informed, after all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)