Mathematics involved in BScIT/BIT (1 Viewer)

-JD

HSC
Hi,

I was curious into how much mathematics is involved in these two courses. I have a strong love for anything computer related. I've always been decent/ok at mathematics (always in the advanced stream) but im no whizz. I checked the courses and it has Advanced assumed and Extension recommended. Will I be ok with doing advanced now in 11/12 (im in yr10) and doing a bridging course later to bring my maths up to the level required?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read and respond,
JD

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
Hi,

I was curious into how much mathematics is involved in these two courses. I have a strong love for anything computer related. I've always been decent/ok at mathematics (always in the advanced stream) but im no whizz. I checked the courses and it has Advanced assumed and Extension recommended. Will I be ok with doing advanced now in 11/12 (im in yr10) and doing a bridging course later to bring my maths up to the level required?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to read and respond,
JD
The only maths is simple math in programming. As long as you have the logical way of thinking (ie, can do 1+1, 1-1, 1/1, 1x1) you're pretty much set. UTS:IT doesn't need heaps of maths in their main IT degrees so you won't need to do a bridging course unless you really want to.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Is the CompSci much different in terms of Maths? I know SDD can hardly relate, but they were just telling us you need to do at least 2U to do SDD when there's hardly any maths in there.

I'm hoping what you say applies to CompSci too. I understand most of 2U maths and it's only the more technical concepts that get confusing.

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
The Bachelor of Science in IT is the main course which covers both computer science and information systems - it's pretty much what major you do dictates the level of maths involved. Someone who takes a data analytics major or networking major will probably have more complex maths involved than someone who takes a programming or information systems major.

I did 3 unit in yr 11 and dropped to 2 unit in year 12 and I haven't had any issues with maths in the BIT course - which takes a sample of stuff from most of the majors.

The reason they would want you to do maths for SDD would be for the logic more than anything else - from what I remember in SDD (it may have changed since I did it) we converted numbers to/from binary and hex which needs maths skills, plus depending on your project you may need to develop something more logically intensive. Usually those people who have good math skills are able to understand the logic of computers more as they know there is only one right and wrong answer.

emmkayyez

HSC
Hi, I am enrolled in the B Science in Info Tech, majoring in Internetworking and Applications and my sub-major is Business Information Systems Management. I was just wondering how much Maths I should know? I did General Maths (2 unit) in high school and was wondering if it's enough maths knowledge or should I learn some Advanced Maths (2 unit as well). Thanks!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Hi, I am enrolled in the B Science in Info Tech, majoring in Internetworking and Applications and my sub-major is Business Information Systems Management. I was just wondering how much Maths I should know? I did General Maths (2 unit) in high school and was wondering if it's enough maths knowledge or should I learn some Advanced Maths (2 unit as well). Thanks!
You'll be fine. I hear the only BscIT major with any maths besides the basics is Data Analysis.

froogle

HSC
N/A
Uts doesn't really have a comp Sci degree. The closest you would have to that is the B mathematics and computing.

Maths is one of the core elements of computing but not IT. IT is mainly about using and maintaining computers and computer systems and infrastructures thus requiring very little mathematics. It is a much easier computer related degree.
You can look at the uts handbook for the courses you need to do for a particular degree.

It really comes down to what you want to do and what you like.
If you want to pursue comp Sci then it is better to go to somewhere like Sydney or unsw. If IT is your thing then uts is the perfect place for you.

Whilst comp sci has a fair bit of maths in it I've seen people in the same boat as you guys successfully pull through. You just need a bit of self confidence and put some work into it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)