• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Mathematics Syllabus changes (since '96)? (1 Viewer)

C

Chrisssss

I was wondering in the past years what degree of changes have been made to the HSC Mathematics syllabus (If any). I'm asking this as I have the 'Maths Topic by Topic Exam Questions' book (Excel) and it was written in 1996, so although it appears to have the same content I was wondering if anybody knows specifically any changes which have been made since.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
Doubt any have been made. We're using a textbook originally published in the 1980s

vds700

HSC
dont thinik its changed since the early 80's in terms of content.

All i think they have done is change the names, 2 unit maths to "Mathematics" and 3 unit maths to "Mathematics Extension 1".

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Hang on, our teachers which have been doing the course advocate that it hasn't changed much except in a few key areas. I can only really remember one, level of difficulty.

they've decided since they are testing concepts now, not if you can actually get the question right, its more easily marked; the harder syllabus dot points like sliding tan, sin and cos curves and working with recipricols are no longer really asked.

Basically the same, just made easier, it's one of the more constant subjects. So you will find Jim Coroneos' much harder examples than is really necceary.

SomeoneCool

Banned
HSC
Chrisssss said:
I was wondering in the past years what degree of changes have been made to the HSC Mathematics syllabus (If any). I'm asking this as I have the 'Maths Topic by Topic Exam Questions' book (Excel) and it was written in 1996, so although it appears to have the same content I was wondering if anybody knows specifically any changes which have been made since.
Maths doesn't change. I've got a textbook from the days of my old man (1975) and it's pretty much the same content.

peckerhead

HSC
N/A
There have been some changes. Geometry was dropped (HUGE MISTAKE) and then reappeared about 1984 HSC. They stuck it all in one question and the markers had a nightmare. Now they ask less and stagger it about or incorporate it into other questions. I have seen Teachers who did HSC in times of no geometry and are poor at it and like to quickly touch on the topic without any real serious treatment. It is a vital topic pervading many topics

Now the future of geometry is being considered again in high places. I have this on huge authority. Some major players also want calculus gone.
These people are crazy

Extention 2 has changed as well. When it was called 1st level it was a two year course in 11 and 12 with many more topics as well.

In extention 1 we had to do analytic geometry in three dimensions. Totally gone now.

Look at the treatment of parabola as a locus. we do x^2 = 4ay. years ago all the treatment of this topic was in the form y^2 = 4ax.

Look at some of the earlier leaving certificates (year 11) and even intermediate exams (year 9). The rigour in them was substantial and would test even the best kids today.

Yep things have changed a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)