maths 1a (1 Viewer)

sunny

meh.
HSC
You don't REALLY need anything, but it would certainly help.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
for maths 1A, you would need as an absolute minimum 90+ in 2 unit or a combined mark of 120 for 2 and 3 unit
but seeing you only do 2u, if you didnt get a band 6, chances are youll struggle a bit with the concepts, so i would suggest devoting more time to math 1131 if you want to do reasonably well in it

televators

HSC
azn_gangsta81 said:
for maths 1A, you would need as an absolute minimum 90+ in 2 unit or a combined mark of 120 for 2 and 3 unit
but seeing you only do 2u, if you didnt get a band 6, chances are youll struggle a bit with the concepts, so i would suggest devoting more time to math 1131 if you want to do reasonably well in it
complete bullshit.

35-40% of the course in maths 1A (the algebra section of the course, minus complex numbers) is new for everybody- not even extension 2 prepares you for this.

yes, most of the calculus section is covered in high school...however this doesn't mean that you will 'struggle'. They go over everything again...literally (even routine differentiation....however quite quickly mind you).

New '3u' things for 2u students that would help to know would be:

Integration by substitution
Binomial Theorem (If you get Tacon- he re-teaches this again anyways)
Integration by parts

Personally, i got a band 5 in 2u maths- with no bridging course- and still ended up with a high-ish credit in 1A (73).

If you work consistently throughout the semester, with your marks in 2U Mathematics, you should be fine.

Peace.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
televators said:
complete bullshit.

35-40% of the course in maths 1A (the algebra section of the course, minus complex numbers) is new for everybody- not even extension 2 prepares you for this.

yes, most of the calculus section is covered in high school...however this doesn't mean that you will 'struggle'. They go over everything again...literally (even routine differentiation....however quite quickly mind you).

New '3u' things for 2u students that would help to know would be:

Integration by substitution
Binomial Theorem (If you get Tacon- he re-teaches this again anyways)
Integration by parts

Personally, i got a band 5 in 2u maths- with no bridging course- and still ended up with a high-ish credit in 1A (73).

If you work consistently throughout the semester, with your marks in 2U Mathematics, you should be fine.

Peace.
yes i know that just because you do 2 unit maths only, it doesnt mean that youre going to do bad in it
the marks i said above is to be referred to as a guide only, so if a student only does 3u maths, and wants to to high maths 1a, then theres nothing stopping them
but you did highlight a very important word= consistency
so yes, from what i can gather, if youre willing to work consistently hard, then there should be no obstacles that you cant overcome, whatever the subject might be

Curry

Zacsik!
HSC
Well this depends if you wan't to learn the maths or simply pass. Doing the past exams for all tests in math 1a can get you an easy pass or credit.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
or you can 10/10 all the class tests and not study for the final and come out with 55 like me

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
I'm not really conversed with engineering, but I'd like to ask a question. How many peers have you witnessed drop out of engineering because they discovered it's way to difficult for them?

elfm

HSC
quite a few dropped out in first year... i'd say maybe 30 out of 150 dropped out in first yr civil eng

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
I'm not really conversed with engineering, but I'd like to ask a question. How many peers have you witnessed drop out of engineering because they discovered it's way to difficult for them?
I did a bridging course earlier this year and I made a few mates in it that were going to study engo. 2 of them dropped out before the census date, one wants to change to commerce, another is staying, and they all agreed that the people in engineering are terrible.

The maths isn't hard (IMO - it's the best part, lol) so if you actually like it you will kick on with it. Otherwise do a double degree to exclude yourself from some engo subjects.

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Ok. At the moment I'm studying medsci at USYD and was considering transferring into an engineering degree in 2008. I've always enjoyed the thought of becoming a doctor thus studying medicine is required etc etc... but another part of me wants to create structures, or coordinate mining drills. I have no fkn idea...may need to see some one about this confusion.
How are you guys finding engineering? Is it interesting? and do you enjoy turning up to classes etc? I was going to transfer mid-year to MQ into physics or chemistry but cant be fkd…

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
Ok. At the moment I'm studying medsci at USYD and was considering transferring into an engineering degree in 2008. I've always enjoyed the thought of becoming a doctor thus studying medicine is required etc etc... but another part of me wants to create structures, or coordinate mining drills. I have no fkn idea...may need to see some one about this confusion.
How are you guys finding engineering? Is it interesting? and do you enjoy turning up to classes etc? I was going to transfer mid-year to MQ into physics or chemistry but cant be fkd…
I have to study chemistry, mathematics, and two engineering specific subjects. The only thing I can stand is maths. I haven't been to a chemistry lecture since week 3~4. The engineering subjects are the worst. One is engineering computing which is so gay words cannot describe. The other is some bullshit intro subject which you won't have to do if you come 2nd year; lucky because it's fucking ridiculous.

Engineering is a drag filled with with people that are a concentration of homos so great it's unbearable. I'm going to change to physics and philosophy 2nd year depending on second semester and if it's just as shit.

I'm seriously telling you how it is.

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
I have to study chemistry, mathematics, and two engineering specific subjects. The only thing I can stand is maths. I haven't been to a chemistry lecture since week 3~4. The engineering subjects are the worst. One is engineering computing which is so gay words cannot describe. The other is some bullshit intro subject which you won't have to do if you come 2nd year; lucky because it's bullshit.

Engineering is a drag filled with with people that are a concentration of homos so great it's unbearable. I'm going to change to physics and philosophy 2nd year depending on second semester and if it's just as shit.

I'm seriously telling you how it is.
ok then, lol at homoz eh? :wave:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
s-AINT said:
ok then, lol at homoz eh? :wave:
Seriously. Everyone agrees. Even a few friends who study engo @ uts agree.

Have I crushed your dream of becoming an engineer yet? It took about 3 weeks of uni to crush mine.

I think I'll either finish it to get a job (which will be near impossible) or become a teacher.

edit: just trolled the fuck out of engineering w/ the truth.

Last edited:

vanush

kdslkf
HSC
Dood, I dare you to finish your engo degree. There's a lack of engineers in AU because the courses ARE shit. That's why I reckon if you keep with it, it will pay off.

Fuck, I can't stand maths. If I actually do it, it's not that bad. Like an elaborate-as-fuck crossword puzzle, but actually getting motivated to do some maths is near impossible. I'm at UNSW by the way. Our Engo specific subject is alright, Engineering Design. It's a bludge, basically. I'm pro at computing, so that's alright too.

My advice: If you have a high threshold for stuff that is generally shit - do engineering.

Socially, Engineering (at least at UNSW) is shit. It's just fucking depressing. Make friends with mining engineers, and fast. Actually, I reckon it has to do with where you live. I have friends at USyd who aren't as bad as me because one of their friends in the group livesnear campus, so they can all hang out at his joint near campus.

Lol, I just realized I created this thread. About Maths 1A - Umm you don't really need 3U but it is really unlucky if you did 2U and they exploit some 3U stuff, eg 3U specific trig identies, etc.

Last edited:

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
Yeah i think i've realised there is no way in hell I'm going to finish the BEng. It's lame that the pay isn't even that great when you're done. I'd conviced myself it was but it's pretty crap.

I think its arts @ usyd 08 for me.

also i imagine unsw would be worse because its filled with asian social retards

Last edited:

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Yeah i think i've realised there is no way in hell I'm going to finish the BEng. It's lame that the pay isn't even that great when you're done. I'd conviced myself it was but it's pretty crap.

I think its arts @ usyd 08 for me.

also i imagine unsw would be worse because its filled with asian social retards
Not a big fan of USYD-the social atmosphere is garbage. Most of the time I'm at UTS sitting on those comfy purple chairs messing around with my laptop. Actually, I love those lounges!

I like the pond at USYD, at times I will slide my hat over my eyes and catch some shut-eye beside the pond. :sleep:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)