MATHS ADVANCED (1 Viewer)

hiiitsme

HSC
Hi This is a thread to post semi-hard/challenging/out of the box/difficult/you get the picture questions. Anything of the sort you have or can think of we could post and then practice before Monday?

No questions that are just straight theory application

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Look at the questions here - provided you know which parts are still relevant to the current syllabus (which would be most of the questions)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
is there one for just advanced questions
Those are just advanced questions, the BoS trials included an advanced / 2u level paper in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Ok, here are some questions to try, taken from a variety of topics:

BoS Advanced questions - challenge 1.png
There is a typo in the question... it should say that

for the rest of the question to work.

(c) The integrand has discontinuities at and so the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that when is the primitive of and is continuous on , does not apply.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
BoS Advanced questions - challenge 4.png

This represents the probability of no winner after both Ava and Owen have had turns.

Owen's chance of winning increases from if Ava has the first throw of the dice to if Owen's turn comes before Ava's.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
BoS Advanced questions - challenge 5.png

is incorrect as the answer to (c)(i) is determined when both marbles could be red. X has shown that at least one of the marbles is blue, so we seek the conditional probability that both are blue given one is blue, which is:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
BoS Advanced questions - challenge 7.png

This ratio of sides is independent of and , so all are similar as they have sides in the same ratio.
Alternatively, they are all equiangular with angles , , and .

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
what are the topics we should be skipping/not relevant to the current syllabus?
Commenting just from reading the paper, not checking answers / methods in detail:

2013 paper: I would not worry about Q8, plane geometry is now only considered as prior knowledge. Q11(e) and Q12(a) is no longer in the syllabus. Q13(b) part (i) is possible to ask, though unlikely, and part (ii) is outside the syllabus. Q13(c) is possible but unlikely (as both 13(b) and 13(c) use concepts that are still in the syllabus, but greatly de-emphasised). Q13(d) is possible as a trigonometry exercise but the extent to which trig will be explored in plane geometry contexts is unclear. Q15(a) I wouldn't worry about (plane geometry). Some very nice questions here, but challenging.

2014 paper: Q2 is outside the syllabus, sigma notation is now MX1. Q4 is outside the new syllabus. Q11(d) us outside the syllabus as written, but inside it if the sigma notation was replaced. Q11(e) and 11(g) are outside the new syllabus. Q12(b) and 12(c) are outside the new syllabus. Q13(b) is possible but unlikely as it uses concepts that are still in the syllabus, but greatly de-emphasised. Q15(d) and (f) are outside the new syllabus, though 15(e) is doable if you assume the result from 15(d). I would not worry about Q16(c) as it is plane geometry. Again, some very nice questions here, but seriously challenging in places.

2015 paper: I would not worry about Q2. Q4 is still in the syllabus, even though limits are basically gone otherwise. Q5 uses heavily de-emphasised materials. Q9 is outside the new syllabus. Q11(d) requires the difference of two cubes, which appears rarely. Q12(c)(ii), volumes by revolution, is now only MX1 content. Q12(d)(i) could be asked but (ii) could not... and there is not much point asking (i) on its own. 13(b) is in the de-emphasised materials category. Q13(c) is plane geometry and so unlikely. The rest are ok, though some very difficult.

Last edited:

5uckerberg

HSC
Ok, here are some questions to try, taken from a variety of topics:

View attachment 33695

(c) The integrand has discontinuities at and so the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that when is the primitive of and is continuous on , does not apply.
Is the first one just 2 times the natural log of x^2+3x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)