Maths books. (1 Viewer)

ND

HSC
I'm going on holidays overseas on monday, and that means a long, boring plane trip. So i'm looking for something to read. Does anyone know of any good books related to maths? (i don't want maths textbooks) I'm looking for something interesting, that may possibly help with uni maths (i'll be doing actuarials). Does anyone have any suggestions?

(i have a feeling i'm gonna get a reply from drbuchanan about the riemann hypothesis ;))

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
well, you will get a reply about the riemann hypothesis if you delete that last line. :)

Anyway, I dunno, "problem solving via the AMC"? I have a feeling that'd be too easy for you. ah well

J0n

N/A
HSC
If you check the university websites, you can find lots of lecture notes from different uni courses, and questions as well.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
ND, nothing will quite prepare you for First Year Actuarial Studies at Macq, especially the infamous unit called ACST211. If anything, have a read of some Statistics.

coroneosrules

What's so hard about ACST211 flyin' - it's just revision of combinatorics and probability from school plus a couple of other very elementary statistical concepts.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Well, it's difficult to understand why the majority (at least 50%) of candidature hope to get a Pass. And why, anything better than a Pass requires luck.

It's not so elementary, when you don't know much statistics, and you have Applications of Double Integrals, Markov Chains and Long Run Markov Chains, which account for at least 60% of Paper II normally, and 40% of Paper I.

Add to that, we have negative markin', just in case you're not going to score any marks to start with. Yes, negative marking, as in, you put down something which isn't right, you could potentially earn negative 5 marks for something worth 5 marks.

And the combinatorics requires alot more care, then it might seem. And Expected Values are impossible.

coroneosrules

We have all had to endure negative marking in one form or another and if in an exam you write something that demonstrates no understanding then you will not do well in any course. This is in no way unique to ACST211.

I agree that even elementary statistics will prove difficult if you don't know much statistics, but the question then is why don't you know much statistics?

Applications of double integrals (I assume you mean to probability problems regarding bivariate random variables) are treated in all probability/mathematical statistics courses and are not especially challenging to quantitatively inclined students. Indeed many courses generalise this to multiple integrals. Ditto for Markov Chains and expected value problems.

I guess my point is that there is nothing to be gained by scaring new students into thinking that a particular course or degree is very difficult when it is no harder than many other courses that are offered throughout the country.

ND

HSC
Originally posted by GuardiaN
well, you will get a reply about the riemann hypothesis if you delete that last line. :)

Anyway, I dunno, "problem solving via the AMC"? I have a feeling that'd be too easy for you. ah well
Well i've never done an AMC, but aren't they based on the kinda stuff you do at school? I was more after a book that introduced new stuff, like number theory, or matrices.

If you check the university websites, you can find lots of lecture notes from different uni courses, and questions as well.
Yeh, i've been to Chen's site. Actually some of the stuff was surprisingly easy (well obviously not easy, but i wasn't expecting to be able to do any of the questions in the assignments).

ND, nothing will quite prepare you for First Year Actuarial Studies at Macq, especially the infamous unit called ACST211. If anything, have a read of some Statistics.
I'm not really looking for anything that will be directly applicable to actuarial studies, but something that may help in some way (though the main thing i want is for it to be interesting).

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
i have some basic matrices / differential equation / multivariable (differential) calculus notes if you want them

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by coroneosrules
We have all had to endure negative marking in one form or another and if in an exam you write something that demonstrates no understanding then you will not do well in any course. This is in no way unique to ACST211.

I agree that even elementary statistics will prove difficult if you don't know much statistics, but the question then is why don't you know much statistics?

Applications of double integrals (I assume you mean to probability problems regarding bivariate random variables) are treated in all probability/mathematical statistics courses and are not especially challenging to quantitatively inclined students. Indeed many courses generalise this to multiple integrals. Ditto for Markov Chains and expected value problems.

I guess my point is that there is nothing to be gained by scaring new students into thinking that a particular course or degree is very difficult when it is no harder than many other courses that are offered throughout the country.
We don't know much statistics, because we are *forced* to do ACST211 in the second half of our first year. We did a Statistics course called STAT171, but that didn't require the Mathematics or thinking behind what we needed for 211.

If 211 was taken by a student who had done Second Year Statistics there would be nothing to worry about at all. I mean, it's like teaching an average year ten, Extension 1 Mathematics...

Let's put things simply - I'm not scaring people. I'm just stating things as they are. No, Actuarial Studies isn't as difficult as a normal Commerce course. I mean, why would it be. I mean, the minimum UAI needed was high 96s and the bulk were above 98 at Macquarie. And most will drop out. So it's not hard. Whereas, most who undertake Commerce anyway, won't drop out. No, it isn't hard at all. I mean, I took Actuarial thinkin' it would just be more money at the end of the day. I mean, of course, the course would be of equal difficult as anything else on offer...

It just happens that people take Actuarial and leave with a startin' salary of about 10-20K above most other graduates... but it's of equal difficulty!

Btw, coroneosrules, what are you studyin' atm?

---------
A question found in 211 Tutorial Exercises:

A certain woman has two homes. Each day at noon she makes a decision as to whether she will move from her present home to other home. If she moves, the move can be assumed to occur immediately at noon. If she is at her city home the probability is p1 that she will decide to move is such that her expected length of stay at her city home is 9 days. When she is in her country home the corresponding probability p2 that she will decide to move is such that her expected length of stay at her country home is 4 days.
(a) Find p1 and p2.
(b) She will be at her city home tonight. Find the probability that she will be in her city home in 'n' nights time. (For example, if 'n' = 1 then we are referring to the probability she will be there tomorrow night.)

This question wasn't even in the later sections, so it isn't hard. Tell me what you think of the question, if you have the time.

Last edited:

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
I'm not really looking for anything that will be directly applicable to actuarial studies, but something that may help in some way (though the main thing i want is for it to be interesting).
I recently got hold of a probability book, which was sort of a simple guide to common-everyday things which involve probability, and the blurb says it's meant to be interestin'. I flicked through the contents and it looks alright.

What are the Odds? Chance in Everyday Life - Mike Orkin

ND

HSC
Originally posted by evilc
i have some basic matrices / differential equation / multivariable (differential) calculus notes if you want them
I'm not really looking for anything as involved as that, just kinda like something that would get me interested for uni. But i really appreciate the offer.

I recently got hold of a probability book, which was sort of a simple guide to common-everyday things which involve probability, and the blurb says it's meant to be interestin'. I flicked through the contents and it looks alright.

What are the Odds? Chance in Everyday Life - Mike Orkin
Sounds cool, i'll give it a look. Thanks.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
i got this big, huge grey book which i borrowed from a friend, its called "A History of Mathematics"by Carl B. Boyer...its alrite but i dont think itll necessarily help u with actuarial tho...its around 700 pages

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
700 pages. It reminds me of my Accounting textbook, that was about 1 000 plus tho. :p

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
just go to ya library and look under the relavant section...u bound to find interesting stuff there! :)

i rem. this good book about how to maths in your head (i.e a shortcut book) but i forget its name. :mad1:

ND

HSC
Originally posted by flyin'
700 pages. It reminds me of my Accounting textbook, that was about 1 000 plus tho. :p
Uh oh. Did you actually have to go through it all? (plz say no)

ND

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
just go to ya library and look under the relavant section...u bound to find interesting stuff there! :)

i rem. this good book about how to maths in your head (i.e a shortcut book) but i forget its name. :mad1:
Yeh i think i'll go down to dymocks tomorrow and have a look (i don't like old, used, library books).

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
LOL yeh jus do selective reading-read wot u think is important, only major nerds would read the 700 from start to finish..especially when it aint enthralling literature...i lyk it coz it mixes my passion for hist and math

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by ND
Uh oh. Did you actually have to go through it all? (plz say no)
Well, I was suppose to read 1,000+ pages. But that was too much. I think I managed about 20 pages in total. That was for about two units (ie. the whole year). You don't have to do 100 and 101 so don't worry.

Of course, Microeconomics has a pretty decent sized textbook of over 700 pages... I read about 10 pages in total. :D

All of which explained why so many of my rivals beat me. :p (They better have read the textbook, or I'm just crap.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)