• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Maths + Commerce Careers (1 Viewer)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I'm going to be doing a B.Comm, with atleast quantatitative finance as a major.

Other then boring old accounting, what are some other careers and I could be looking towards?

HalcyonSky

HSC
you could jump on the IB train like the rest of the 08'ers, it is highly fashionable this season

blakegman

HSC
N/A
your 4 years away from graduating and you already have your major figured out ?

your either really dedicated/stupid.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
blakegman said:

*you're

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
HalcyonSky said:
you could jump on the IB train like the rest of the 08'ers, it is highly fashionable this season
The rest of the 08ers?
Markets like crashing... who's trying to get into finance?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
this guy

and yea, its a bad time to get into finance
I dont see the industry sector im in showing any signs of slowing down, quite the contrast really.

When the markets are volatile, I actually see there is a lot more opportunity, as long as you're giving the right kind of advice. It just means taking a couple of calls, and a bit of explaining.

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
i hope your maths is near-perfect because later-statistic courses are serious mofos.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
jas0nt said:
i hope your maths is near-perfect because later-statistic courses are serious mofos.
Actually statistics has less rigour than most mathematics courses. I find stat more humanities based than my other maths subjects. Stat is a lot of :
*How stuff is worded
*How you interpret the question

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
blue_chameleon said:
I dont see the industry sector im in showing any signs of slowing down, quite the contrast really.

When the markets are volatile, I actually see there is a lot more opportunity, as long as you're giving the right kind of advice. It just means taking a couple of calls, and a bit of explaining.
Well if you're a stock broker you've lost me as a client already for the next year. I'm sure there're ppl who think like me. Business is defn slowing down.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Omnidragon said:
Well if you're a stock broker you've lost me as a client already for the next year. I'm sure there're ppl who think like me. Business is defn slowing down.
Lucky im not a stockbroker then. :)

EDIT: In terms of long term outlook, the prospect of the AllOrds dropping below 5000 in coming weeks isn't all gloom and doom like a lot of people would love you to believe. Give it 2-3 months and I predict the market will bounce back. A lot of the ASX200 companies are getting a raw deal with their share prices certainly not indicative of the health of their operations. To me, the whole slump here in Aus borders on irrational.

Meanwhile, short sellers and hedgers are having a picnic while the market is so cheap.

Last edited:

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
blue_chameleon said:
Lucky im not a stockbroker then. :)

EDIT: In terms of long term outlook, the prospect of the AllOrds dropping below 5000 in coming weeks isn't all gloom and doom like a lot of people would love you to believe. Give it 2-3 months and I predict the market will bounce back. A lot of the ASX200 companies are getting a raw deal with their share prices certainly not indicative of the health of their operations. To me, the whole slump here in Aus borders on irrational.

Meanwhile, short sellers and hedgers are having a picnic while the market is so cheap.
It's all subjective. No-one knows how far subprime will go. And I dont believe this decoupling crap. America goes down, we will go down.

If we hear about the next $400billion of sub prime writedowns in the next month, then we may rebound in 2-3 months, but it seems that there is still a fair way to go.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
blakegman said:

Quantative sounds like the way to go atm, If i do end up doing commere and economics I will be wanting to do the math rather then piddle around with claims, "THE MARKET IS CRASHING!111" I'd rather see the numbers.

I have been looking at IB, it is the kind of thing I think I would be capable of doing, however, I really dont wanna be seen as one of the "flavour of the week" kind of people who are just interested for the pay.

While i'm sure there are flaws in my understanding, I dont see how the stock market falling will ruin me if I aim for a job in financing, I mean, theres still enturperuring (probally the worst spelling you will ever see) right?

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
Studentleader said:
Quantative sounds like the way to go atm, If i do end up doing commere and economics I will be wanting to do the math rather then piddle around with claims, "THE MARKET IS CRASHING!111" I'd rather see the numbers.

I have been looking at IB, it is the kind of thing I think I would be capable of doing, however, I really dont wanna be seen as one of the "flavour of the week" kind of people who are just interested for the pay.

While i'm sure there are flaws in my understanding, I dont see how the stock market falling will ruin me if I aim for a job in financing, I mean, theres still enturperuring (probally the worst spelling you will ever see) right?
Investment Banking is the way to go! I was planning on doing that but i heard in a Finance Academy that IB has teh longest hours in the Business world, n they really suck ur blood for the money u get. So im having second thoughts.

You could also do Actuarial Studies, not that its any easier, infact prolly the hardest in the Commerce field! it rotates around Quantitative (u spelt it wrong in ur post) risk management and analysis, n u usually end up working in Health/Life/Property Insurance Service firms n the like.

other things related to IB are: Corporate Financing (equity/debt financing for Investments etc); Foreign Income, Rates and Currency (FIRC)...theres soooo much more.... do a google search, ull b amazed at wat ull find.

btw, its spelt 'entrepreneur'...i think

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)