Maths equation help URGENT!! (1 Viewer)

360flip

HSC
N/A
imdoing tutor hw and i cant do a single question because ive completely forgotten an differentiation equation and i ripped my old notes by accident and returned my yr 11 textbook and the equation had something like second derviative with u u' v v' something like (u')v-u(v') or something can someone correct me on this and give me examples! please reply quickly my tutor hw is due soon!

Raginsheep

HSC
You're looking for the divisor rule I assume.

d/dx u/v= vu'-uv'.

P

pLuvia

Product rule
y' = uv' + vu'

Example
Differentiate y=2x(x-1) (Note you can just expand and use chain rule)
u=2x
v=x-1

y'= 2x(1) + (x-1)2
= 3x-2

Quotient rule
y' = (vu' - uv') / v2

Example
Differentiate y = x2-1/x
u=x2-1
v=x

y' = [x(2x) - (x2-1)] / x2
= x2+1/x2

Edit: Please don't bump this thread so many time, no one will answer in like 5 mins give it time

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Firstly, there is absolutely no need to be bumping a newly started thread by the minute! Someone will come around to helping you; in future please be patient. ;)

I personally find it to remember it verbally rather than with u's and v's.

Try remembering it like this:

"The bottom function multiplied by the derivative of the top function, minus the top function multiplied by the derivative of the bottom function, ALL OVER the bottom function squared."

Now shortening it significantly:

"The bottom by the derivative of the top, minus the top by the derivative of the bottom, all over the bottom squared." (what I say in my head)

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
u could try this:

(1) u = .....
(2) u' = .....
(3) v = ......
(4) v' = .....

so, quotient rule is: F(x) = inside - outside/ (bottom function)^2. Inside is (2)*(3) and outside is (1)*(4)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)