Maths Ext 1 Preliminary Exam 2014 (1 Viewer)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Yes, we weren't going to even learn induction in prelim, until I looked at the mapping grid and one of the questions had induction, so we had to learn the concept a couple of days before the exam.

We only have 4 days of Maths Ext 1 in the two week cycle. How about the rest of you? Do I have enough lessons to do well in the course?
How long are your lessons? I had 4 1-hour lessons a fortnight.
And about the exam difficulty, part of doing extension is that you should be doing questions beyond what you learn in class. If your teacher took the time to go through the hard questions of every topic, there's no way you would finish the course in time.

Sarah Jane 1

HSC
Does anybody have any copies of Math Extension Preliminary Independent Trials? I feel like they would be worthwhile practising on to push myself. I have 2012 and 13 but I was wondering if anybody has 2011 or earlier as I have not found anything online. It would be much appreciated.

Thankyou

HSC
Does anybody have any copies of Math Extension Preliminary Independent Trials? I feel like they would be worthwhile practising on to push myself. I have 2012 and 13 but I was wondering if anybody has 2011 or earlier as I have not found anything online. It would be much appreciated.

Thankyou
Why not do the prelim questions out of hsc papers

Sarah Jane 1

HSC
I have tried the prelim questions from the HSC papers but I feel that the calibre of Extension Math independent trials is much higher. The questions asked are more specific to the preliminary course and venture away from the generic concept questions into more complicated, analytical types. I haven't been able to find such questions in most other sources so I would really appreciate anyone helping me find a pre 2012 Matth Extension prelim independent paper.

jkerr138

HSC
Here is another couple of very difficult proofs, that typically won't be asked in 3U, but if you can do these, than you will be in good stead!
Prove by mathematical induction:
(1+sqrt 5)^n-(1-sqrt 5)^n all divided by sqrt 5 2^n

Also bernoulli's inequality induction is a very good question.

Inverse Functions, just do the past HSC questions from 2001 when the new syllabus came in, that's what I've done, it is the best preparation for sure.
Induction will have one question per year. Newton's approx of roots and half interval method is one or two questions. All I can recommend is just doing the HSC questions while doing the topic your learning for HSC, so you can identify the type of questions they may ask and what you need improvement on.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/NewtonsMethod.aspx

Preliminary, just learn your craft, make improvements and understand everything, don't stress too much on prelim results, just know strategies and what is required to be very high in ranks. As long as your first, all that matters in HSC, along with a high band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)