Maths Ext 2 doubts!!!! (1 Viewer)

Glyde

HSC
Hey guys i just wanted your opinions on wether or not i should do maths ext 2 NEXT year. My school seems to rank ~500's so i don't know how well I'm actually going in ext1. My half yearly exam mark was 86% and 2nd was 78%, 65% respectively. We only have 4 people in our current class and I'll be the only person doing ext2 next year ( will this be a benefit).
Any thoughts/opinions will help :)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
That is a tiny cohort doing 3U.

Do whatever you like? I mean, its all personal opinion. I'm getting 88% - 95% in Ext 1 Maths, and I'm not going to do 4U. I just think I don't have the skills like the stronger cohort.

Glyde

HSC
I heard it scales heaps well. Maths is definitely the subject i excel in and 1 on 1 teaching could be a massive benefit

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Go for it lad, you can always talk to ur teacher and get their opinion, plus you can always just drop 4u instead of not taking it and potentially end up regretting it!

Glyde

HSC
wow thanks for the fast replies guys and girls :)

Drsoccerball

HSC
I heard it scales heaps well. Maths is definitely the subject i excel in and 1 on 1 teaching could be a massive benefit
The reason it scales good is because of the range of low marks

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
The UAC lady giving a speech on UAC --> Selection ranks, to be accurate, was literally like "Fuck your scaling. You all scale down. So don't do subjects because you think it scales up, nothing scales up. You scale WELL because of your performance.

So take that information.

Glyde

HSC
Ohh okay so if i say had a choice D&T and MX2. Would it be a smart move to go MX2 as my other subjects are heavily math reliant (e.g physics, engineering)

HSC
Idk man, depends if you really love math and not just because your other subjects are heavily math reliant. That love is so dam powerful, you could feel your gut filled with passion and motivation for maths. Then yeah go for it lmao,

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A more important question at this stage is "Can your teacher competently teach Extension 2?"

The reason why I'm asking is because you're the only person doing Extension 2. In other words, it MAY be the case that your to-be-teacher has little to no experience in teaching Extension 2, and this may end up doing more harm than good to your overall ATAR performance.

I know of a number of students who are in a small cohort (less than five) or were even the only students doing Extension 2 (so obviously assessment mark = HSC mark). More often than not, their teachers were not too confident with teaching it, though they did so to the best of their abilities.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
The reason it scales good is because of the range of low marks
Not true. It scales well because the people who do MX2 do better than the people who do other subjects (they use English as the comparison).

The UAC lady giving a speech on UAC --> Selection ranks, to be accurate, was literally like "Fuck your scaling. You all scale down. So don't do subjects because you think it scales up, nothing scales up. You scale WELL because of your performance.

So take that information.
True to some extent, though misleading.

And MX2 scales up (rare exception besides random languages).

Ohh okay so if i say had a choice D&T and MX2. Would it be a smart move to go MX2 as my other subjects are heavily math reliant (e.g physics, engineering)
If you like maths I highly recommend MX2.

Also you are going to be disappointed because physics and engineering have very little maths.

Glyde

HSC
A more important question at this stage is "Can your teacher competently teach Extension 2?"

The reason why I'm asking is because you're the only person doing Extension 2. In other words, it MAY be the case that your to-be-teacher has little to no experience in teaching Extension 2, and this may end up doing more harm than good to your overall ATAR performance.

I know of a number of students who are in a small cohort (less than five) or were even the only students doing Extension 2 (so obviously assessment mark = HSC mark). More often than not, their teachers were not too confident with teaching it, though they did so to the best of their abilities.
There are only 20 kids in my year and even the my school is rank 500 one of the students got 42/50 in mx2

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
There are only 20 kids in my year and even the my school is rank 500 one of the students got 42/50 in mx2
Good enough. Go for it.

You can receive plenty of help on these forums anyway.

sumtgk

HSC
N/A
wow, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you, 4 people doing extension 1 (incl. myself) and small, terrible ranked school. I'm also thinking about MX2, unlike the other 3. If I maintain my 1st position and get roughly 75% in the yearly I probably will take it up. As for teachers, we have two maths teachers that are way over qualified for my school that have taught extension 2 and have had several students who have actually picked the couse over the last 15~ years and have gone quite well in it (apparently they haven't had a MX2 student for 3 years).

so good luck to both of us I guess

Ahahahaman

HSC
N/A
Keep in mind that even if scaling is insane like x200%, a 30% is still only a 60%. As you said, it's hard to determine if you're good at maths, but I think 85% is a decent enough mark, assuming your school doesn't just put standard textbook questions into your exam.
Also remember since you will be the only person who is doing X2, you have to carry yourself and can't rely on your cohort. Which means, while you can literally get 50% for all your assessments up to trials next year and still be ranked first, you MUST do well in the HSC exam.
But assuming you do more than 10 units, it's good to just give it a try anyway since you can just drop it if you feel like its too hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)