• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

maths ext 2 through correspondence-any good? (1 Viewer)

bettina44

HSC
like many i thinking of giving maths ext 2 a go but its most probably going to be through correspondence as there isn't enough people to have a class,so i'm just wandering if its any good doing through distant ed.do you think that i would be disadvantage doing it through correspondence than compared to having an actual class?

Last edited:

bubblesss

HSC
not to be discouraging or something but maths in correspondence would be xtremely hard especially 4 unit maths which requires a sound knowledge of all topics. but why don't you just go for it. if it works out continue if it doesn't drop it.:hammer:

eliseliselise

HSC
it would probably send you insane. round up some of ur friends to make them try it, so then there's a class, then let them all drop out [if they dont discover their mathematical calling/passion]. then, you have a teacher and the only one in the class. it's foolproof.

otherwise... get a tutor and try and do it through distance education, it will be hard... very hard but incredibly rewarding especially if u can an E4 or something, then u can write a book about ur experience in the library teaching urself 4unit maths.... penguin classic in the making.

HSC
Personally, I would struggle to do maths of any kind through distance. But if you're really committed and are ABSOLULTELY SURE that you need to do 4U maths, then have a go.

BTW, i love eliseliselise's first suggestion.

bettina44

HSC
eliseliselise said:
it would probably send you insane. round up some of ur friends to make them try it, so then there's a class, then let them all drop out [if they dont discover their mathematical calling/passion]. then, you have a teacher and the only one in the class. it's foolproof.
yeah that's what i'm trying to do so far i have 3 people including myself willing to give it a go and we only need 4 people for a class,but even if we get that extra person they still probably won't run it as they know that people will drop unless we get a substanial number.
so in the meantime i might try and get the teachers to merge us with the boy school so we get a better chance of having a class,its been done before and it might work.

bawd

HSC
Solutions:

1. See if your lessons can be organised through a direct, live, webcam with your correspondence teacher. Make sure you ask all the questions during the lesson.
2. See if the school will allow you to complete the MX2 lessons at an approved private tutor, or at a different school.
3. Just get a tutor and do it via correspondence. (Only if every other possible method has been exhausted)

dcizerle

HSC
that seems odd that you cant just do it at ur school with a small class. At our school there are 3 of us doing it next term and there will b a class. and last year only 1 person did it and there was a class then too.

cowboi156

HSC
So, nobody else has this problem where there aren't enough classes for 4u?

Anyway, personally I found distance education really bad, but that was probably because I didn't take the subject seriously at all. Which wouldn't happen with 4u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)